BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 24, 2014, 12:07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah VFFs are funky...but sometimes not in the good way  (Read 82665 times)
ZeitHeld

ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.

And so Antaeus returns, wiser for the wear.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:25 PM »

I really scrubbed mine the other day until I didn't think any more dirt could be coaxed out, and then I poured a cup of water that I had nuked for 3 minutes. Sludge filled my sink. Definitely a new part of my regimen.

twitter.com/derekofbavaria
facebook.com/derek.beyer
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:25 PM »

Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »

to clean the toe pockets, i've found that using an electric toothbrush (the rotary kind with the small, interchangeable heads) works brilliant - just turn it on and let it do the work and means i can get more dirt out from the toes (especially if dirt has seeped through from the outside) to keep them feeling & smelling fresh.

Just make sure you don't use the same brush for your teeth Wink Maybe my sonic care toothbrush would work just as well. Ultrasonic cleaning power! lol
iamcam

iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.

Jesus wore huaraches.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »

i just embrace the funk!

I am Cam

go barefoot... everything else is just holding you back.

I miss 100% of the shots I don't take.
Bango Skank

Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.

master of the five fingered discount :O

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »

i just embrace the funk!

yeah... but who will embrace you?

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
-Buddha
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »

iamcam

iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.

Jesus wore huaraches.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »

I'm very embraceable... if that's a word.

I am Cam

go barefoot... everything else is just holding you back.

I miss 100% of the shots I don't take.
kaioslider

kaioslider is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »

That's interesting. Did you find it in a store locally or did you order it? How long does it take for the foot smell to return?

I live in the NorthWest and they carry Bac-out at Whole Foods and PCC out here so I picked it up locally.   It did the washing of the KSOs this weekend and was really impressed with the results.  I'll have to let you know how long it takes for the smell to return.

So?  How are they holding up?  Exactly what version of the Bac-out did you use?  I found the "Bac-out" online, but wasn't sure which one you used.  Updates?

Twitter: kaioslider
Run tracking: http://runkeeper.com/user/kaioslider
sopo

sopo is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2009, 01:32:21 AM »

I used Kevin's Clorox Greenworks. Sprayed it, rubbed around and tossed them in the washer. Came out smelling fine and then airdried them overnight.

Stephanie

"When they tell you not to panic, you RUN!"
Sanpaku

Sanpaku is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »

I have two pairs of black KSOs as daily wear (both athletic and casual), and in the past have machine washed them and sun-dried after about two weeks of increasing funk.

Occasionally, I apply some tea-tree oil (originally purchased for insect stings) diluted about 20:1 to my scalp when freshly shampooed, as I've found it reduces scalp itching and perhaps also visible dandruff.   Tea tree essential oil does have known anti-microbial properties, but also is a skin irritant for some when used at full strength.  I liken the scent to eucalyptus, but not everyone does.  At full strength tea tree oil is a solvent, and will cause low-density polyethylene containers to melt.

About a month ago I began an inadvertent experiment with one of my pairs in which the first time I put on my KSOs from a wash and air-dry, my toes were fairly soaking with tea-tree oil in perhaps a 5:1 dilution.  Presumably, the water then evaporated, leaving some of the tea-tree essential oils adhering to the nylon/spandex fibers of the uppers.  Result: the shoes did eventually succumb to a malodiferous condition, but this took longer (around 4 weeks), and even that may have been hastened with some splashing in street puddles.  After the month I didn't see any solvent damage to either fabric or discoloration to the insole.  

So, its possible that I've stumbled across an inexpensive (pharmaceutical tea-tree oil is about $5/oz, which lasts a long time when diluted) and harmless to the shoes means of extending the useful life of a pair of VFFs between washes.  There are other essential oils with anti-microbial properties, so perhaps some experimentation here will yield a holy grail.  

EDIT: I've just noticed that rutabega came to the same solution back on page 5.  So consider this a confirmation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:16:35 PM by Sanpaku » Logged
DaveP

DaveP is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »

tea tree (melaleuca altrernifolia) oil has distinct antiseptic properties. I use tea tree chewing sticks (funny, they look like toothpicks to me) instead of breath mints, and it helps keep down the incidence and duration of canker sores. Thanks for the good word on the funk reduction!
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »

I washed my KSO's yesterday....and instead of the washer I washed them in hot water in the sink using "Win" sports wash detergent.  I did a double wash as the sink was rather dirty after I let them soak for about an hour or so while I went out food shopping.  came bback rinsed and then washed again and scrubbed well by hand, then rinsed and dried them. 

there is still a slight odor but its predominantly the sports wash detergent.  this stuff supposedly has stuff in it to kill the bacteria that makes your gym clothes stinky.  this tends to work pretty well for my cycling shoes, which also get very stinky! So i soak them in the tub with the detergent overnight. 

I wear my KSO's for running without socks.  I might need to do a second hand washing soon as I think the funk was pretty bad before I tried washing them like this.  I had tried machine washing, but I don't think they get scrubbed enough inside.

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »

I washed my KSO's yesterday....and instead of the washer I washed them in hot water in the sink using "Win" sports wash detergent.  I did a double wash as the sink was rather dirty after I let them soak for about an hour or so while I went out food shopping.  came bback rinsed and then washed again and scrubbed well by hand, then rinsed and dried them. 

there is still a slight odor but its predominantly the sports wash detergent.  this stuff supposedly has stuff in it to kill the bacteria that makes your gym clothes stinky.  this tends to work pretty well for my cycling shoes, which also get very stinky! So i soak them in the tub with the detergent overnight. 

I wear my KSO's for running without socks.  I might need to do a second hand washing soon as I think the funk was pretty bad before I tried washing them like this.  I had tried machine washing, but I don't think they get scrubbed enough inside.

My trick is to hand wash them often. It seems that a little more odor leaves with each frequent washing. My oldest, beat to death kso's still smell fine. In hot weather I will only wear them twice before washing. I follow my nose in cooler weather.

*I'm barefoot for skeletel correctness*
kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

I am going to try washing them again soon, after a few runs.  I was not washing too often as I didn't have another pair of FF's to wear and I didn't want to wait for them to dry! Smiley  Now I have classics and can wear them while I am waiting for my KSO's to dry.  Haven't run in the classics yet - the toes are still a bit tight, but they are loosening up....

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
rva98014

rva98014 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »

I live in the NorthWest and they carry Bac-out at Whole Foods and PCC out here so I picked it up locally.   It did the washing of the KSOs this weekend and was really impressed with the results.  I'll have to let you know how long it takes for the smell to return.

So?  How are they holding up?  Exactly what version of the Bac-out did you use?  I found the "Bac-out" online, but wasn't sure which one you used.  Updates?

I use the version called "Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator".   It comes in 32 oz bottles at our local Whole Foods in the cleaning supplies section.  It's been about two weeks since I cleaned my KSOs and I've been using them for my running since then.   They're starting to get that sweaty, "exercised in" smell again (but not overpowerly so) so I'll probably give them another washing this weekend.    All in all, I'm happy with what the Bac-Out accomplishes and this particular version has a light citrus-lime smell to it that I'm finding pleasant for my KSOs.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:21:54 PM by rva98014 » Logged
dwd5150

dwd5150 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2009, 12:10:34 AM »

Interesting topic - here's my occasional regime when my 2 year old KSO's get a bit ripe...

First I soak the footbeds with Amaze detergent booster/stain remover (I bought it at London Drugs) as per directions on the box:

After that I wash them in the machine as per usual, and then hang outside on the line to dry.

After they are dry, I fill up the footbeds with...wait for it...coffee beans!

May sound crazy, but it works for me!  Grin
ZeitHeld

ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.

And so Antaeus returns, wiser for the wear.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2009, 12:20:08 AM »

I've washed my KSO's a few times. By hand and by machine. Does anybody else's footbed not stay perfectly sealed to the sole? It's tamped down nicely all along the edges, but there seems to be a slight pocket underneath the heel for me. It hasn't thus far affected them so I'm good, I'm just wondering.

twitter.com/derekofbavaria
facebook.com/derek.beyer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: