BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah VFFs are funky...but sometimes not in the good way  (Read 87690 times)
TRS

TRS is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

I use my Trek LS for work and nasty trail hiking so I hose them off, occasionally put a half drop of Dawn or other dish detergent in before blasting with hose. Otherwise I shoot some Lysol in there killing the funk. If you read up on what causes BO you'll find out some cool (and gross) reasons why everyones different. It boils down to bacteria. That sweaty shirt smells a little when you take it off at the gym, its covered in bacteria and its waste is what you smell. Toss it in the gym bag and 6 hours later it wreaks...that bacteria has multiplied and waste is building up. Different bacteria for different parts of the body too makes different oders. Lysol kills it all off and helps deter the build up in the future. I still hose out on weekends when my work shoes turn into my trail shoes (favorite thing about these!).
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »

Alcohol also does a good job of killing the bacteria, a little spray after each use and voilą!

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
howzz1854

howzz1854 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 29, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »

since i am not going to read through the entire 23 pages of a long thread. i am just going to share with everybody my solution of keeping those awesome toes shoes smell free.

after several suggested remedies, i finally found the right solution that works for me.

Oxyclean + Anti-Fungal aerosol spray.

before i tried different anti sweat solution, and other deodorant fragrances, or washing.. but none could keep the shoes smell free.

the trick is to wash your toe shoes clean once by spraying it or soaking with Oxyclean to get rid of all the dirt and fundamental smell, then toss it into the washer. once it's fresh and clean. spray the shoes with an Anti-Fungal aerosol spray once or twice a day. for me once a day when i get home is enough to keep the smell out. some might want to do it twice a day (once in the morning before putting it on, and once at night after taking it off).

i've had three pairs of VFF now all smell free by following the same method described above.

you can get the anti-fungal aerosol from Target. Target has a generic brand called Up&Up. there're two kinds, liquid spray and powder. i went with the liquid spray.
tcseacliff

tcseacliff is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »

I stopped using the washer for a couple of reasons.

First, I wear mine almost exclusively on city streets so when I wash them a black oil scum is left on the washer sides. If I forget to wipe it down guess what? The next load is sure to be whites.

Second and equally important, the straps on the kso's get all twisted up and it takes me a good hour (at least it seems like an hour) to get them straight. I wear them to work daily so I need to wash them daily if I choose not to wear socks. To make even a small load I would have to add an old towel or something that leaves lint and stuff attatched to the velcro. A once over and on to the line is as easy as it gets for me.

I like the idea of Oxyclean. Anything to reduce the funk is okay with me. Kevin

the thought of the city inside the washer. I used to use the subways in Manhattan. you would not believe the stuff your feet hit there! every body fluid known to man!LOL!  my sneakers never saw the inside of my house again, they lived on the back porch . cleaning daily a must!
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »

verity

verity is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 28, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »

So I found a new method of getting the deep deep funk out of my VFFs. 

I was using a high pressure sprayer to clean a concrete walkway in front of my house when I thought to myself, hmm wonder what would happen if I sprayed inside my classics.  Now, I've washed my VFFs using various methods to some success but I have never been able to get the deep down funk out...the oils and bacteria that buries itself into the material.   Well to my surprise using this pressure sprayer was like literally painting the insides of my VFFs that brand new yellow color.  It was incredible! It worked just like using it on the walkway and took no time at all.  And granted, these were classics (easier to get into with a sprayer) and the toes are a bit impossible to get into using this method.   But I blasted out the majority of the footbed and it looked practically brand new.  No amount of scrubbing would ever get that out without literally damaging the material.  And that does bring up another point for those that may try this and that is that you should be careful - some of these sprayers are crazy powerful and I was on lower setting that still had plenty of pressure.  If you have tears on your footbed or on the inside of your shoe I would avoid this all together because the sprayer would just rip things further.

So there you have it  Cool.  For those of you who have access to one of these I highly recommend trying this on your VFFs.  If they aren't sprint/classics you'd still be able to do this but with more difficulty seeing what ur doing. 

Classics Khaki
KSOs Grey/Palm
Treks Brown
Treksports (sold)
Smartwool classics (sold)
Terra Plana Aquas - Brown
Softstar Roos - Chocolate Suede
Merrell Trail Glove - Smoke/yellow
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »

I was using a high pressure sprayer to clean a concrete walkway in front of my house when I thought to myself, hmm wonder what would happen if I sprayed inside my classics.  Now, I've washed my VFFs using various methods to some success but I have never been able to get the deep down funk out...the oils and bacteria that buries itself into the material.   Well to my surprise using this pressure sprayer was like literally painting the insides of my VFFs that brand new yellow color.  It was incredible! It worked just like using it on the walkway and took no time at all.  And granted, these were classics (easier to get into with a sprayer) and the toes are a bit impossible to get into using this method.   But I blasted out the majority of the footbed and it looked practically brand new.  No amount of scrubbing would ever get that out without literally damaging the material.  And that does bring up another point for those that may try this and that is that you should be careful - some of these sprayers are crazy powerful and I was on lower setting that still had plenty of pressure.  If you have tears on your footbed or on the inside of your shoe I would avoid this all together because the sprayer would just rip things further.

So there you have it  Cool.  For those of you who have access to one of these I highly recommend trying this on your VFFs.  If they aren't sprint/classics you'd still be able to do this but with more difficulty seeing what ur doing. 

what pressure setting did you use (psi /bar)

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
verity

verity is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 29, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »

I have a Karcher K2.19 which has a max of 1550 psi and I have two different nozzles for it.  I used the less focused(?) of the two nozzles, if that makes sense, and I probably had the thing turned up half way for its power.  I don't recall exactly but I just started low and worked up the power till i saw it really working and stayed there.

Classics Khaki
KSOs Grey/Palm
Treks Brown
Treksports (sold)
Smartwool classics (sold)
Terra Plana Aquas - Brown
Softstar Roos - Chocolate Suede
Merrell Trail Glove - Smoke/yellow
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »

I have a Karcher K2.19 which has a max of 1550 psi and I have two different nozzles for it.  I used the less focused(?) of the two nozzles, if that makes sense, and I probably had the thing turned up half way for its power.  I don't recall exactly but I just started low and worked up the power till i saw it really working and stayed there.

Wouldn't work with mine...  I'd cut them in half even with the pressure washer at an idle.......  Seriously...  I can carve my name in concrete with mine.  Even with a fan tip it will remove paint from wood....

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
chronin

chronin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »

I noticed this "stank" as you call it, after my first use.  I guess some of us are blessed with non smelly feet, while others like me are not.  Anyways, I picked up "Odor Eaters" at a local drug store.  It's a foot powder that supposedly absorbs odor on contact.  You just put it on your feet and inside the shoe before use.  I'll post back when I've tried it with the VFFs. 

My wife tried this and it worked. I posted about her stinky VFFs a few times. Though the Rank Away spray worked, this is probably a cheaper way to go and easier to buy.

KSO - Black M40
KSO Trek - Brown M40
Bormio - Brown M40
Bormio - Black M40
Spyridon - Military Green/Grey/Black M41
howzz1854

howzz1854 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »

i am surprised none of you tried the Anti Fungal spray. i mean it's the fungus that cause the smell.. the Anti Fungal spray solves the problem by attacking the problem by its roots. i hadn't washed my VFF for three months and last night had to wash it not because of smell, but because i went hiking. before i started using the Spray, the shoes would start to stink after a week of wear.
Belhade

Belhade is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »

I usually just dump some menthol-ish foot powder into my KSOs after wearing, making sure to shake some of the powder into the toes. And when I wash, spray deep with OxyClean and then sun-dry. Stank isn't so bad.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »

I use a tile grout cleaning brush, because it is long and narrow and fits in the toe pockets.  I use laundry detergent and scrub it into the foot bed of the shoes.  I then rinse a ton of nasty brown liquid from them and repeat as necessary before throwing them in the wash.  I will try the anti-fungal for in between washings, because it does seem to make sense.  

I do have some "Rank Away" to try.  Has anyone else used it what any success?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:13:50 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Eirlys

Eirlys is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »

After purchasing a new pair of VFFs (Classics) I had to think of something to keep the stink away. My old Sprints were a bit funky although I washed them quite often and usually kept them outside on the balcony throughout the year. After reading this thread I came up with an idea to keep my new VFFs from stinking and I had to try if it worked.

I mixed some water, about 20 drops of tea tree oil, 20 drops of cypress oil and 10 drops of peppermint oil to a 30 ml spray bottle. I would have used alcohol or a disinfectant as a base for the essential oils but the alcohol ruins a possible pedicure I might have on my toe nails so I used just plain tap water. Before every use of VFFs I liberally spray my toes and feet with the spray.

The tea tree oil acts as a natural disinfectant, the cypress oil reduces sweating as well as odor and peppermint oil keeps feet refreshed. The scent of the spray is lovely or at least I think so Grin .

This concoction has definitely reduced the sweating of my feet and my new Classics smell nice. Hopefully the essential oils will also keep any possible fungal problems as well as stink at bay.
Cw777

Cw777 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 22, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »

Last night i tried something new. I mixed a big tub sink with dawn dish soap, and the brand softsoap odor neutralizing kitchen soft hands (citrus cent). Scrubbed my fivefingers with a toothbrush to get all the way into the toes and then let them soak in the sink for 2 hours.

After 2 hours i put them in my washer on medium spin cycle, and chose the option deep clean with steam (my washer is a whirlpool duet). I believe any laundry detergent will work but i used tide if that helps. After the wash i hung them up to dry and this morning they smell fresh and good as new. not only that but my insoles no longer are black with grime. Its honestly the best smelling i have ever gotten my fivefingers after a year of owning them. I don't know how long the nice smell will last though
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

Its honestly the best smelling i have ever gotten my fivefingers after a year of owning them. I don't know how long the nice smell will last though

Hard to say.  It depends on how long it took them to get blackened by dirt/debris in the first place.  Once you start to notice the blackening would be when I would imagine you'd start to notice the odor returning.  

I waited too long to wash my favorite pair because I did not want to give them up for the drying time and also because I had temporarily misplaced my scrubbing brush.  It did not go unnoticed.  Besides my wife commenting on the odor, a few of our friends said something to her about it.  I am definitely going to wash them more frequently from now on and also will try the deodorizing/anti fungal spray in between washings.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:25:06 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24
  Print  

Jump to: