BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 30, 2014, 11:20:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: zero drop shoe for sore feet  (Read 1873 times)
dalemc

dalemc is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »

I probably dove into minimal a tad too fast but I have a question.... After going straight from my traditional Nikes and Mizunos to some more minimal/zero drop shoes (Altra Instinct, VBF Ultra Pures and Gurkee rope sandals), I am looking for something for lounging around that has cushion yet minimal or no heel-toe drop. Right now I am going barefoot around the house and work or using these minimalist/zero drops with no cushion and my feet are sore. I just want a little relief without putting any traditional high-heeled shoes back on. Any suggestions? Leming Origins is all I have come up with. Also, I prefer wide toe boxes to narrow.

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:22:19 PM by dalemc » Logged
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:41 PM »

I've got a pair of Vivobarefoot oaks, which look great with jeans. If you leave the insoles in, it does offer a good deal of cushion, yet if you take them out, the 3.5mm soles offer fantastic ground feel. Essentially you can have either, depending on how your feet feel. I've got relatively wide feet with a wide toe spread, and I find they have tons of space in the toe box. They also feel very well put together, I'm really pleased with these.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
Twist

Twist is a new face.

Ars celare verum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:30:35 AM »

I wear my Crocs (the regular clog version) around the house when my feet need a break. They are very comfortable, near zero drop, with plenty of room for your toes.
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:15 AM »

The standard insole of the Komodosports provides a bit of cushioning too.

VFF: M46: KSO x4, Trek x2, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:15 AM »

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »

http://www.borntorun.com/collections/new-balance-1/products/new-balance-mw00

I really like this as a recovery and comfort shoe.  It is a good transition shoe as well.  My partner is wearing a pair currently as his main shoe.

I also got a pair to wear as well.  I have some issues getting on shoes with toe pockets and laces right now.  I hurt my hand and am one handed for the next 6 weeks.  So I needed a shoe that was minimal but easy to put on.  I went with that and the Altra Adam. 

The Adam might be a good choice for you as well.  They have 2 different insoles of varying thickness that  you can transition through as you go more minimal. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Koala3

Koala3 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »

I love my Lemings, wear em to work in a shop and if I do happen to be wearing shoesbon errands I may slip the insoles in for some cushy.
@TheYeti, not to thread jack but how is that toe spring in the Oaks? The pics make it look like a lot but does it flatten out with a foot in there?
climbingbubba

climbingbubba is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »

I wear either Sanuk's or my NB minimus Life.  I don't think either are true zero drop but pretty close and way comfy.  I wear both of them on my 12 hour hospital shifts
jeremy1st

jeremy1st is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »

It sounds like The Altra Samson could be the answer that you are looking for. It provides some cushion (less than instinct), but maintains a conservative look. Also, The Ra or Oak from VivoBarefoot are good dressier options as well. Similar to Leming. Altra is exploring this world of more casual wear as well.

I probably dove into minimal a tad too fast but I have a question.... After going straight from my traditional Nikes and Mizunos to some more minimal/zero drop shoes (Altra Instinct, VBF Ultra Pures and Gurkee rope sandals), I am looking for something for lounging around that has cushion yet minimal or no heel-toe drop. Right now I am going barefoot around the house and work or using these minimalist/zero drops with no cushion and my feet are sore. I just want a little relief without putting any traditional high-heeled shoes back on. Any suggestions? Leming Origins is all I have come up with. Also, I prefer wide toe boxes to narrow.

Thank you
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »

I love my Lemings, wear em to work in a shop and if I do happen to be wearing shoesbon errands I may slip the insoles in for some cushy.

+1

Lemings (with the insoles) are like wool socks, and without the insoles Lemings are like regular cotton socks :-)
Though, they do look like typical sport shoes (brown model), so I don't think one can wear them with on office suit, but they are great with jean etc.

Also, you could try to walk forefoot in Lemings or other minimal shoes that you own. That way your feet should not be in pain (heels). This way of walking is a little bit funny at the beginning, and for some time feels "unnatural", but after few months it gets in to a habit, and you have to think and actually actively change your walking form in to "normal" - heel to toe.

"Natural" or "unnatural" is debatable, since when being barefoot forefoot walk feels OK, just the shoe - even very minimal - changes everything (maybe it is in our brains).
bigtruckguy3500

bigtruckguy3500 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »

I went to my local running store and tried on the Altra Samson and I really liked it.  It was really comfortable with my wide feet.  But the Leming shoes look a lot better in my opinion.  I'm also looking for a casual every day shoe.  I also like the Roadglove, but I have to loosen the laces a good bit in order to keep the sides from squeezing my feet.  I'd like a more casual shoe, but I'd still like to be able to run in it on occassion if necessary.

I've heard there were some quality issues with the Lemings?  Have those been resolved?

Anyone recommend one over the other?  And why?
Koala3

Koala3 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »

I never heard of any quality issue with the Lemings, asked a few people on here about them when they were still Stems and ordered mine based on good words. Their customer service is also Superb! I ordered the wrong size on the first try, sent them back and they shipped out the right size. Had a little problem with the glue not holding the upper to the sole, called and talked to Andrew and another pair arrived at my door a few days later.
I also really love little companies and supporting the little guy.
bigtruckguy3500

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »

I think it was a thread issue on one of the official birthdayshoes.com reviews, but I went back and saw that it was just a small thread that came slightly unraveled, and apparently he talked to the company and they said they had fixed it.

Do you run in your Lemings?  Do your feet shift around at all?  I don't plan on doing much, if any running in them, but I'd like the ability to if necessary. 

And I also like supporting the smaller companies, especially in a niche market like this.  I want to give them a shot, I just hate buying stuff like shoes online without trying them on.
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

Yes, you can run in Lemings, as these shoes are made for "normal" life, where sometimes you have to run for a bit, but more often walk.
What I've discovered lately with Lemings, is the superb ground feel that you get in these shoes (at 1st it felt that Lemings are less minimal then my other minimal shoes, with very thin sole, but then I had a long walk in my town in Lemings, and discovered that I do feel different textures under my feet - sand, cracks in pavement, even paint of a road sing! (this is with out the insole).

Plus the toe box is just phenomenal. It feels that you aren't wearing any shoes at all :-)
The only problem - in my opinion - is that (my) feet get quite hot in Lemings, so I don't think these shoes (for me) will be good for very warm weather. Can't wait to test them in the snow, and low temperatures in the winter.
Lemings are not water proof as well nor water resistant.   

ksomatt

ksomatt is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 05:16:53 AM »

I went to my local running store and tried on the Altra Samson and I really liked it.  It was really comfortable with my wide feet.  But the Leming shoes look a lot better in my opinion.  I'm also looking for a casual every day shoe.  I also like the Roadglove, but I have to loosen the laces a good bit in order to keep the sides from squeezing my feet.  I'd like a more casual shoe, but I'd still like to be able to run in it on occassion if necessary.

I've heard there were some quality issues with the Lemings?  Have those been resolved?

Anyone recommend one over the other?  And why?

There was a quality issue with a bad batch of glue recently, I think when the black colorway came out.  I know they were sending out replacement pairs.  If you check out their FB page, there are some posts regarding the glue.
bigtruckguy3500

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »

Ok, so I wear a size 45 KSO, and usually wear size 13 shoes because they accomodate my wide feet a little better, but length wise I can fish in a 12.  Do y'all think I should order a size 13, or 12 for the LEMings?

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: