BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 30, 2014, 02:55:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another "Shoes for the Office" Thread  (Read 1143 times)
equiraptor

equiraptor is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »

Yes, it's another thread asking for recommendations for office shoes. However, my needs and requirements are a bit different from the other office shoe threads I've seen.

I work in a casual environment - jeans and t-shirts are the daily wear. However, we're required to wear closed toed shoes. Running shoes (tennis shoes, whatever) are the standard fare. In one of our locations, my VFFs are fine. But in our other location (which I only occasionally visit), the toeshoes will not fly. The people there perceive them as "slippers" (which are specifically forbidden in the employee handbook), and they'd complain if I wore them. The last time I went up there I wore my driving shoes, of all things. These shoes are ridiculously comfortable. The uppers seem to have little structure at all - both the suede and the nomex is very soft and flexible. The shoes are also a half-size too big - I'm 7.5 in women's, which would be 5.5 in men's, but these don't come smaller than a 6. These two features mean I can move my foot any way I want in the shoe and just have a soft, flexible surface over my feet.

The sole of these shoes is very thin and quite flexible, but it does have a bit of a heel. It's also noisy (it makes significant noise when I walk on hard floors). And the sole remains flat - when I curl my toes downward, the sole remains flat.

So what am I looking for? I'm looking for something very much like those driving shoes, but without the noise and with a more flexible sole. Optimally, the sole would curl with my toes (like my Jaya do). I fear this is asking too much, though, as even my Bikila LS and Komodosport LS soles don't curl with my toes.

So what out there will curl with my toes like the Jaya, but has a single toe pocket instead of individual toes? It shouldn't be mistaken for a slipper or a water shoe, but other than that, appearance isn't significant. I want something that won't make me curse Dallas for being so conservative when it comes to footwear!

Sprint Slate/Lichen W39 (first pair, too big), Jaya LR Almond/Copper W37, Bikila LS Black/Grey W37, SmartWool Classic Charcoal W39 (also roomy, but that's nice with the EcoStep sole), W38 KSO Trek Black
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »

bigtruckguy3500

bigtruckguy3500 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »

Altra makes the Adam and the Eves, I guess you'd probably want the Eves.  They're like Vibram sandals, no laces, but no Vibram sole either.  They've got some other rubber. 

Alternatively, you could try Run-a-mocs.  They might work for you since their soles are super thin and made out of soft leather and/or really thin rubber.  But some look a little funky.

I'm actually in the market for a casual shoe that will almost be disposable, as there's a good chance they'll get pretty dirty.  I found these at Walmart the other day - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Op-Men-s-Dominica-Water-Shoes/17772306 - they look promising since they have the lacing system.  I tried water socks before, and they were too loose and my foot slid around too much, even though I have wide feet.  The lacing seems to hold the upper on my foot quite well.  As much as I disklike Walmart, I might have to give them a try.  And at less than $10, I figure it's worth a shot.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »

Check out the Merrell delight gloves and dash glove.  Also soft star shoes merry janes and run amoc dash and Inov-8 bare x line.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
ksomatt

ksomatt is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »

Lemings seem like a great choice.

http://www.lemingfootwear.com/women_c_8.html
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »

equiraptor

equiraptor is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »

The Eves are a bit sandal-looking, unfortunately. They're the most appealing ones to me.

I'm not sure if I've handled the Merrell Dash Glove specifically. The Merrells I have handled have had stiffer soles than my Treks (admittedly new Merrells vs. broken-in Treks), and at that stiffness, I'll stick to the driving shoes.

From looking at some videos of them, the Lemings look to be similar in flexibility / stiffness to my Bikila LS / Komodosport LS - they bend upward (toward the foot) really easily, but don't bent down (away from the foot/toward the ground) as easily. Still, they're "stealth" enough to look like normal shoes, so they may be the ones...

Sprint Slate/Lichen W39 (first pair, too big), Jaya LR Almond/Copper W37, Bikila LS Black/Grey W37, SmartWool Classic Charcoal W39 (also roomy, but that's nice with the EcoStep sole), W38 KSO Trek Black
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »

I recommend the LEMings.  They are my go to shoe when I cannot wear VFFs.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: