BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:09:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Barefoot Shoes? Anyone Make em?  (Read 3197 times)
noahf

noahf is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »

Looking at the VivoBarefoot Oak's on my feet.... and then looking at the new Soft Star RunAmoc's.... and considering the VFF's

I've started to think about building my own shoes again. Has anyone successfully tried to create their own pair of Barefoot shoes?

I'm not talking about the Huaraches, but actually building a pair similar to the Soft Star RunAmoc's... They look pretty painless and possibly quite easy to make.

Looking at Vibram Cherry 4mm sheets of sole material cost around $30-40 bucks for a 11-35" sheet (enough for two pairs possibly) Find some kangaroo leather or maybe a similar suede like the oaks.

I'm just curious if you think it's possible or if you think I'm totally nuts. Could be a really fun project for DIY's.....
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:02 AM »

Adam C

Adam C is starting to look familiar.Adam C is starting to look familiar.

Free Weezy Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »

I wouldn't say you are totally nuts!  Grin

It is of course possible to create your own shoes.  I have never done so and probably wouldn't be interested in doing so, but it is totally possible.  I would probably draw out what design you are wanting to mimic and start from there.  Great Idea!  I wish you luck and look forward to seeing your DIY project!

I LIKE TURTLES!
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »

You might Google for moccasin patterns.  Smiley

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »

i've thought a lot about it and have even made a few "shoes" that i really like.  i would be very interested to see what others come up with in their creative pursuits of minimalist shoes

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »

Adam C

Free Weezy Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »

Jimmy,

Do you have any photo's of the shoes you have made?

I LIKE TURTLES!
Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »

i dont actually as it's just been something fun i've done.  i may do that though and see what people think.  mine arent shoes so much as modified socks.  i took some toe socks and on one pair i attached a leather sole and they are pretty comfortable.  the other pair well that one takes the toe socks into some melted rubber!  kind of like a thin and very flexible vff.  the only problem is that i feel too much like i'm just wearing socks when i wear them but so far they have been nice for running in since the ground is already getting too hot for bare feet

noahf

noahf is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »

wish me luck.

I'm thinking the vibram cherry 4mm sole - and a kangaroo leather top.
I'm also thinking of having molds done of my feet so I can do some serious shaping.

I sent out a couple of emails to this company to enquire about their fabrics for possible soles.

http://superfabric.com/

My garage this summer

http://www.teonline.com/knowledge-centre/shoe-making-how-shoes-made.html

:-)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:15:43 PM by noahf » Logged
Adam C

Free Weezy Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »

I think this sounds like an awesome Idea!  Keep me posted on what design you are going with! 

I LIKE TURTLES!
noahf

noahf is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »

So far so good.

I've talked to a few shoe people who are willing to help out with the project.

Interesting - I spoke to one shoe person who has done stuff with Vibram materials and it seems the cherry is the best bet for a pair of thin homemade type shoes - 4mm.

There is however also a flexible Tania sheet from Vibram which is only 1mm. I imagine this would be far too thin. Still waiting for more info from SuperFabrics and possibly some samples.

Adam C

Free Weezy Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »

1mm would be interesting but I think you would end up replacing the soles more often Sad  Although if you made them so you could replace the soles pretty easily then I would go 1mm.  Otherwise 4mm would be the ideal.

I LIKE TURTLES!
marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »

wow cool topic - would love o see some pics of home made shoes - good luck fellas / gals - whoever decides to try this out

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: