BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 21, 2014, 12:34:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my Stems...  (Read 3173 times)
pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »

...HOLY EFFING ASSCRACKERS!

They arrived today...They are amazing!  First I have to give a huge THANK YOU to Stefanie for being the "guinea pig" in regards to the sizing - if it weren't for you I would have had to send the "pre-ordered" 38s back for the 39s I ended up getting on the Official order.

These are amazingly comfy shoes - on par with the Vivobarefoots [Neos] I have, for much less. I ended up with the Survival Origins Womens (the brown ones).

I can't wait to wear them for a full day of work!!

They do run true to size - my toes just barely brush the end of the nice, wide toe box.  They are lightweight, stylish, and just plain sa-weet!

vffs: classic, performa jane, sprint, jaya, kso, kso treksport
non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »

LOL, you are hilarious... I knew you'd love them!  Grin

I really want some correct-toes to wear with them... but $60 for those dang things? IDK.. that's almost another pair of shoes, lol

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:17 AM »

Ha, it sounds like you had exactly the same reaction as I did!  They are really the most comfortable shoes I have ever put on my feet!  Is the Survival Origins actually brown?  It really looks black to me!

As far as sizing goes, I wear a W40 Jaya LR, W40 Sprint (though I'm actually between a 39 and 40), and a W39 Trek, and the Stem W40 fits perfectly.  My toes just barely touch the end, which might be disconcerting if you're not used to VFFs, but feels great to me.  I wore them to work today and was on my feet for 6 hours, and didn't notice them at all, which was awesome!  They did get a little warm, but despite the sweat my feet felt dryer than in my Merrells or VFFs.

Also, the quality seems pretty good, and they are so much more flexible and comfy than my Merrell Pace Gloves, which were going back to REI regardless of whether the Stems worked out because they're falling apart.  Lets keep our fingers crossed that these are more durable, because otherwise they're perfect! Smiley
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »

Darn you pooch, you make me want more shoes.  Angry

Wink
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »

curtisnull

curtisnull is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:57:53 AM »

Mine came in Saturday. Thats all I have worn since the weekend. I LOVE them. I got the primal origins. As far as sizing. I wear 43 (Men) in the KSO and 44 in everything else. So I got the 44's. When I first put on the right shoe I though it felt a tad snug. But maybe they actually "grew" like the website says. Anyway, now the fit is perfect. 'm Sooooo gld that I got them.
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »

What's a correct-toes?
pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:45:59 AM »

LOL, you are hilarious... I knew you'd love them!  Grin

I really want some correct-toes to wear with them... but $60 for those dang things? IDK.. that's almost another pair of shoes, lol

You wear VFFs and other minimalist shoes - I can't see why you would need Correct Toes? Unless your toes are that bad that they need a push in the right direction? To me, they seem to be most beneficial to people who have had their feet stuffed into "pizza-toe" shoes (as I call them... shoes that end in points and have a lot of room at the end where the toes can't begin to fit into) for a very long time, or people with bunions, etc.

barefeet, these are Correct Toes: http://nwfootankle.com/home/toes

vffs: classic, performa jane, sprint, jaya, kso, kso treksport
non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »

You wear VFFs and other minimalist shoes - I can't see why you would need Correct Toes? Unless your toes are that bad that they need a push in the right direction? To me, they seem to be most beneficial to people who have had their feet stuffed into "pizza-toe" shoes (as I call them... shoes that end in points and have a lot of room at the end where the toes can't begin to fit into) for a very long time, or people with bunions, etc.

I would think she would want correct toes for the same reason I do.  I am just getting into teh barefoot/minimalist lifestyle and my toes are marred by my previous (and still current) footwear... The difference is now I notice it constantly and I am consciously trying to stretch my toes.  The correct toes could help make that adjustment and change quicker by adding the additional structure to keep the toes spread.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »

LOL, you are hilarious... I knew you'd love them!  Grin

Because I tend to go overboard... I am an all-or-nothing type of person! haha.. I probably won't get any correct toes now that you have said that though, thanks for saving me  Cool

I agree with Justin, though.  I'd just like to try them out.. My toes are definitely getting stronger though.  I could always spread them out what I thought was freakishly a lot.. and now I can even more!

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »

Got mine!!

First impressions:

1. They look like something my grandma would wear (But I don't care about that. I wear VFFs in public, after all).

2. When I lift my foot off the ground, the foot/shoe bends just so that the area at the top of the laces - that small tab with pink stitches - pokes down on the top of my foot where my toes meet my foot. It feels quite abrasive to the skin on my foot, but less so to my fingers when I feel underneath that tab. Stefanie, have you noticed that problem? I'm afraid it'll cause chafing/blisters if worn longer. They already hurt and I've had them on for all of two minutes.
StemFootwear.Andrew

StemFootwear.Andrew is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »

Hey all,

It's Andrew Rademacher, CEO of Stem Footwear

Thank you for all the positive comments.  I will try to check in with this forum and answer questions and gather two things: 1) positive encouragement and 2) constructive criticism.  Our shoe is wonderful and for many people "it's the most comfortable shoe ever" but nothing is ever perfect (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist) so we look at 3rd party forums like this to gather data for future seasons of shoes.

Most of our questions have been about sizing.  And that is expected, because in the shoe industry there is absolutely no standard.  We've found the best way to figure out your size may be to go by what US size you most typically wear in athletic shoes.  And remember you need to size up 1/2 size in Stem Footwear because they tend to run small.  If you are typically a womens 8.5 you most definitely need the 40(US 9-9.5) and if you most typically wear a womens 8 you are a on the border, but you can probably get away with the 39(US 8-8.5).  For the Mens sizes, if you are typically a 10.5 you need the 44(11-11.5) and if you typically wear a 10 you will be fine in the 43(10-10.5).

Myra, if you feel little rubbing on the top of the toes, I suggest Machine Wash on gentle cycle and then let air-dry (dries in about 1-2 hours).  And then wear them around, and your problem should be fixed.  This material you are feeling is necessary to hold the shoe together, and it does soften in the wash and with wear.

Cheer, Andrew
runner92037

runner92037 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 03:31:39 AM »

Sounds cool...good luck Andrew
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »

Hey pooch.. can you post a couple pics? I'd like to see the brown ones on feet!

Watch out for TMTS!
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »

posted by mistake.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:35:49 AM by BearFooted » Logged

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 11:20:53 AM »

I already made a comment on a different thread about this, but wanted to touch base here too since Andrew himself is watching this thread.  I absolutely love these shoes.  They are the most comfortable things I have had on my feet that did not have individual toes.  I was very impressed with the companies willingness to update their sizing chart based on their customers recommendations.  From what I have seen the last time I checked it, it appears to be spot on now.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with my phone and e-mail correspondences with the company.  Andrew, if you are listening, we need a winter appropriate model.  I am fearful that these shoes will be shelved soon once the cold Minnesota winter arrives.  If you made a pair that did not have the mesh uppers, then I believe they could be worn in cold and snowy environments.  The non-mesh portion of the upper seems as though it would be plenty warm if the entire shoe were made of that material.  I am not sure about water proofing, and if this material can withstand some sort of waterproofing agent then they would indeed be perfect.  For snow and ice conditions you might want to add a little more traction to the sole, but it may not be necessary.  I am going to wear these everyday for as long as I can and will be sad when I have to place them in the closet for the winter.  Andrew, if you decide to embark on a winter friendly variation of your awesome footwear, I'd love to wear test a pair.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: