BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 16, 2014, 05:29:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my Stems...  (Read 3321 times)
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:28 PM »

Our shoe is wonderful and for many people "it's the most comfortable shoe ever" but nothing is ever perfect (and I'm a bit of a perfectionist) so we look at 3rd party forums like this to gather data for future seasons of shoes.

Most of our questions have been about sizing.  And that is expected, because in the shoe industry there is absolutely no standard.  We've found the best way to figure out your size may be to go by what US size you most typically wear in athletic shoes.  And remember you need to size up 1/2 size in Stem Footwear because they tend to run small.  If you are typically a womens 8.5 you most definitely need the 40(US 9-9.5) and if you most typically wear a womens 8 you are a on the border, but you can probably get away with the 39(US 8-8.5).  For the Mens sizes, if you are typically a 10.5 you need the 44(11-11.5) and if you typically wear a 10 you will be fine in the 43(10-10.5).

Hi Andrew - One complaint that I have is that the tongue seems to slide off to the side, so that after some wear there's a gap between the tongue and the inner edge of the shoe.  It's not a big deal, but is a little annoying.

As far as sizing goes, I usually wear a women's 9 and I got the 40, which fits perfectly, so I have a hard time believing that they run a full size small.  Maybe it just depends on how snug you want them to fit?  My toes just barely brush the end but don't feel cramped.

Otherwise, thanks for the great product!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:28 PM »

pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »

Are the stems your new favourite shoe? Better than your vffs or hatoris? Wink I'm thinking bout getting the brown pair too. Too bad there aren't any discounts for BDS members like free shipping or soemthing like that.

You JUST MISSED the pre10off code - ended yesterday! You get $10.00, which basically offset the shipping cost.  Maybe Andrew will offer a BDS special coupon since most of us who have them just RAVE about them, and encourage others to purchase...  Cheesy

But yes, the Stems beat out my Hattoris for sure, and are prolly now my favorite non-vff minimalist shoe (the VB Neos are very similar in feel tho, so they are a close second). They still don't beat a good ol' VFF like the Classic or KSO, but then again... who can?  Wink

I am certainly looking forward to the day that Stem releases more colors and/or styles. Like a few others said, maybe some that would be better in colder weather (not that I need that!) or not-as-casual office wear.  I think more color choices would be better before developing new styles.  If they do... I think there are more than enough "guinea pigs" here on the forum that would be more than happy to test them out for the greater good!

vffs: classic, performa jane, sprint, jaya, kso, kso treksport
non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
heyyyitsjen

heyyyitsjen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »

If they do... I think there are more than enough "guinea pigs" here on the forum that would be more than happy to test them out for the greater good!
For sure!  For the greater good!  Smiley
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »

Ditto, pooch! I ordered the Primal Origins and liked them so much that I ordered the Survival Origins. I'd love something more office-appropriate (I can get by with Survival Origins on Fridays but that'd still be pushing it).
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »

StemFootwear.Andrew

StemFootwear.Andrew is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »

I already made a comment on a different thread about this, but wanted to touch base here too since Andrew himself is watching this thread.  I absolutely love these shoes.  They are the most comfortable things I have had on my feet that did not have individual toes.  I was very impressed with the companies willingness to update their sizing chart based on their customers recommendations.  From what I have seen the last time I checked it, it appears to be spot on now.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with my phone and e-mail correspondences with the company.  Andrew, if you are listening, we need a winter appropriate model.  I am fearful that these shoes will be shelved soon once the cold Minnesota winter arrives.  If you made a pair that did not have the mesh uppers, then I believe they could be worn in cold and snowy environments.  The non-mesh portion of the upper seems as though it would be plenty warm if the entire shoe were made of that material.  I am not sure about water proofing, and if this material can withstand some sort of waterproofing agent then they would indeed be perfect.  For snow and ice conditions you might want to add a little more traction to the sole, but it may not be necessary.  I am going to wear these everyday for as long as I can and will be sad when I have to place them in the closet for the winter.  Andrew, if you decide to embark on a winter friendly variation of your awesome footwear, I'd love to wear test a pair.

Leigh, on WINTER APPROPRIATE STEM FOOTWEAR: We do have plans to come out with a water-resistant model, no expected release date yet though.  We are still a very small company and so we need a at least a season with what we currently got.  Nearly 10% of our customers are Canadian so they have been asking for a snow appropriate style.  If all of you would be willing to share what features/non-features you would like for a winter shoe, we will surely listen and respond.

SIZING CHART: There has been much confusion surrounding the EU size and VFF equivalent size in Stem Footwear.  It works for some sizes and it doesn't work for others. So we are getting away from all that confusion telling customers to not look at the EU size at all.  Look at our US size and remember they run a 1/2 size smaller than your other US athletic shoes.  We've found it is a bad idea to ask people to measure their own foot because some rulers start at zero and other rulers start at -1/8" and other start at -1/4" and customers don't realize this.  a US 1/2 size is only a 1/6" so if you measure a little off, you can be mislead.  Moral of story, go by what US size you TYPICALLY WEAR IN ATHLETIC SHOES (I know some of you may have not worn anything but VFF for the last 2 years so if you don't know your US size anymore you should try on some of your old shoes  to remember what size you wear.) Smiley
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »

Hey Andrew.  Not from Canada, but the north east.  I think what we would all be looking for is something that would survive the winter and keep us warm.  I can say myself that I would be willing to give up some flexibility for something that would be waterproof (or at least resistant), warmer, and has a tread pattern that would dig into the snow (think VFF trek sole).  I personally don't have a problem with Mesh as many of my sneakers have this and I wear them during the winter when it's not wet or snowy, but a leather/leather type or canvas material that would keep moisture out could work for wetter and colder conditions.

Maybe also a model that would resemble a minimlist boot.  This could work for winter conditions but, if done correctly, might be able to get you into the minimalist hiking demographic.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »

Leigh, on WINTER APPROPRIATE STEM FOOTWEAR: We do have plans to come out with a water-resistant model, no expected release date yet though.  We are still a very small company and so we need a at least a season with what we currently got.  Nearly 10% of our customers are Canadian so they have been asking for a snow appropriate style.  If all of you would be willing to share what features/non-features you would like for a winter shoe, we will surely listen and respond.

SIZING CHART: There has been much confusion surrounding the EU size and VFF equivalent size in Stem Footwear.  It works for some sizes and it doesn't work for others. So we are getting away from all that confusion telling customers to not look at the EU size at all.  Look at our US size and remember they run a 1/2 size smaller than your other US athletic shoes.  We've found it is a bad idea to ask people to measure their own foot because some rulers start at zero and other rulers start at -1/8" and other start at -1/4" and customers don't realize this.  a US 1/2 size is only a 1/6" so if you measure a little off, you can be mislead.  Moral of story, go by what US size you TYPICALLY WEAR IN ATHLETIC SHOES (I know some of you may have not worn anything but VFF for the last 2 years so if you don't know your US size anymore you should try on some of your old shoes  to remember what size you wear.) Smiley

Andrew,

Thank you for your reply and your consideration of our request for a winter weather friendly version of your great shoes.  I understand that you need to give your initial product time to enter the market and generate some cash flow before you can begin R & D on yet another model.  Regarding wants/desires in a cold weather shoe, JustinB was pretty spot on.  The shoe should be made out of a warmer material that either is waterproof or has the capability of being waterproofed.  I understand that this may add a little bulkiness and weight to the shoe, however it is a necessary evil in order to maintain warmth.  The shoe should be fully enclosed and not made of any sort of mesh material.  The shoe would also need some sort of lugged sole for traction and possibly a little thicker sole or an insole for warmth.  I realize this would sacrifice ground feel, but I have never been all that keen on feeling snow and ice beneath my feet anyway.  The shoe could be similar in design to your current offerings or you could make them a little taller, more boot like.  A boot like variation slightly above the ankle, similar to Vibram Bormio, might help gain sales across a more diverse market, not just in the colder climates.  I was pleased to see that your final product came with standard laces and not the quick laces that were originally contemplated.  I would keep that feature as well.

Regarding your sizing chart, I can see how it could confuse people, especially those who are not accustomed to properly measuring their feet.  I will say that at least in my case, I found the second revision of the sizing chart to be spot on.  I am not sure about the correctness of other sizes.  I am glad that I know my Stem size is a 42, because for me it is not as simple as just matching my standard shoe size.  I would have to go to a shoe store and have my foot measured/sized, because I wear a different size shoe in nearly every brand and different sizes withinthe same brand based on the style of the shoe.  I have shoes varying in size from mens 8.5 up to mens 12.  Even within my beloved VFFs, I have three diffferent sized shoes across different models.  As long as your sizing stays the same, I hope to remain a 42 in any future product offerings from Stem.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Barefoot Fran

Barefoot Fran is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:55 AM »

your reaction pretty much sums up my own  Cool 

i tried on few different pairs of "barefoot shoes," and the stems were by far the most comfy.  i first walked around in the merrell barefoots, but they were really tight near the arch, and the sole wasn't really flexy.  next i tried nb minimus trail, and i didn't light the tightness over by big toe joint area.  since fit was an issue for me, i didn't want to just order stems online, and yesterday i finally drove 30 miles to the shop that sells them. 
amazing! 
super-comfy from the get-go, and i can get away with wearing them to work without getting the dubious glances i kept getting in my vff komodo's.  my toes are totally digging the wide toe box.  all i can say is that i'm sold, and i'm ready to dump out every other pair of footwear i own (except my vff's of course!).
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: