BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need the forums help  (Read 3929 times)
vffjeeper04

vffjeeper04 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »

Would look weird with that extra cord sticking out.

VFF's: M42 Classics (Walnut/Brown), M41 Flows (Black), M41 Speeds (Black and white), M41 KSO Treks (Black)
Non VFF's: Barefeet, NB Minimus MB10, Inov8 Evoskin M (Smoke)
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

I've never heard of the trip clips. How do the jeans look when you are standing up? They don't hover above the shoe at all or look odd?

I wear nothing but Vivo barefoots and Vibrams, and have a lot of bootcut jeans and I get a big problem with fraying round the heel, so a solution would be fab!

The front of the jeans look normal across the top of the foot.  I pulled my pants leg up to showcase the finished product.  Normally the little bit of excess elastic is also hidden under the pants.  I made a few sample pair using 12 inches of elastic instead of 18 and they were too tight for my liking.  From the back side, you cannot even tell that there is anything there, yet they work tremendously well, even when I am home and barefoot.  The hem on the back side of the pants just folds under and completely hides the clip and the material just cinches up a little.  I will try to post another picture of the back.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

Would look weird with that extra cord sticking out.

It does not stick out, it is covered and hidden by the jeans.  I pulled up my pants leg to showcase the finished product in that picture.

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »

First pic is my best attempt at shooting the backs of my pants.  It is harder to do than you might think.  The second is a side profile that kind of shows where the hem seems to disappear as it is pulled upward by the clip.  The third is a pic of the clip attached to the back of the pants at the hem.  You can kind of see the elastic against my white sock.  When I am not pulling the excess pants up, it folds neatly under and look as shown in the previous two pics.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:50:51 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

Cubicle51

Cubicle51 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »

So, I wound up getting the Key Rack system from Nite Ize.  I picked it up from from my local Dicks Sporting Goods for $4.99. I love some of the ideas that people have come up with and it's gotten me thinking about my own mod. I tinker around with leather working in a very amateur sort of way,  I'm looking modding my shoes and pants with snaps.

when I come up with something I'll post the mod Smiley

http://www.niteize.com/products/key-rack

M41 KSO's (Black/Black), M42 Spyridon, M42 Classic, M43 Leming (Earth Brown x2) (Black x2), Bellville TR MiniMil (Blac) and plain ol' Nekkid pheet

Veneratio est meritus , nunquam donatus.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

I am curious to see how this will work.  It seems like it would be bulky to me.  Why not just use the lightweight s-biner instead of the bulkier clip?  Just a thought.  My issue is that my original Stems have no loops on the back to clip anything to.  I thought the trip clip was a good idea, but one day into wearing them I found the design horribly flawed.  I have not had any issue with my creation and have worn it daily since March 21st or so.

Cubicle51

Cubicle51 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 04:29:36 PM »

I took the small key S-biners off the key-rack system and I'm using those hooked to the heel loops on my LEMings. the only flaw is I use a kneeling chair at work and my pants pull up higher than a regular chair and the clips keep coming undone so I have to make sure I'm not hiking up my pants. I like the clip idea that Mr. Leigh came up with but I don't know if I could stand having the cord around my ankles (I don't like closed leg sweatpants either) and the metal clip would surly set off the metal detectors at work...

I think that might be the same issue with pants coming lose from the snaps as well I have but i'm going to try it out anyway.

Then i'm going to patent it. market it, sell it and be rich LOL

M41 KSO's (Black/Black), M42 Spyridon, M42 Classic, M43 Leming (Earth Brown x2) (Black x2), Bellville TR MiniMil (Blac) and plain ol' Nekkid pheet

Cubicle51

Cubicle51 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »

so I finally got around to taking a stab at my idea to mod pant hems to work for VFF's and other minimalist type footwear.

My issue is that I didn't want to hem all my pants because I ride my motorcycle ALOT and when I ride my pants need to be 32in but when I'm off the bike and in my VFF's or LEMings I need a 30.5 (odd huh LOL) to have it look right and still not catch under my heels. I was tired of keeping up with S-Biners and I don't like the feel of a cord around my ankles, so here's what I tried.

I went to my local fabric store and bought a set of these (except mine have both silver and black snaps)

Then I put my super awesome sewing skillz into effect and attached the male half of the snap to the back loop of my LEMings like so. (I used the black snaps for my black KSO's and Classic's so the snaps were not noticeable when I wear shorts)

Then I attached the female half to the back of my pants like so....

As a guide for where to place the female half of the snap, I would fold the hem up and make a mark, so when the snap was attached it was just covered up by my hem.
When I snapped the hem and shoe together it pulled my hem up high enough to look normal and yet stay out from under my heel.

I was slightly concerned that the thread would be seen if someone were to look at the back of my heels, it's not. I face-palmed myself for not using blue thread on my jeans (it was a DOH!! moment) even the black thread is not noticeable at all

What I have discovered is that if I am not careful, I will unsnap when I'm sitting. I use a kneeling chair at work so my pants hem raise up a little higher when I sit than in a regular chair, but it's not been a big deal to just reach down and re-snap.
By using the male half of the snap on just my shoes and the female half on just the pants. I can wear any pair I've modded without having to keep up with S-biners or ankle clips.

So far it has been working pretty well.

I apologize if there any picture issues or they are not clear or large enough.....this is the first time I've tried posting a mod with pictures like this

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 08:14:19 PM »

Good idea - another method would be to put both the male & female snaps on the inside of the jeans - one at the bottom of the hem and one a bit further up (eg 1.5") and you can get the hem lift you want without attaching them to the shoes
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »

Nice Mod.  I agree with paulr that attaching the jeans to themselves would be better than attaching them to the shoes.  That is one of the things I did not like about the Trip Clip was that I had to tuck the tab on the elastic under the laces on the shoe.  With my mod they are only tethered to my leg and can move as needed.  Are those clips aluminum or something, or just so miniscule that they do not bother your metal detector at work?  Others have posted in other threads about a product called Style Snaps, or some other brand of the same item anyway.  Check it out.  https://www.buystylesnaps.com/

Cubicle51

Cubicle51 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »

The snaps are so small that they don't set of the metal detector at work Smiley i thought about the Stylesnaps but whet I didn't like was that they don't seem to be permanent. it seems like they would have to be removed with each wash but i'm planning on biting the bullet and making an order just to see how they work.

I like the suggestion about putting all the snaps on the jeans and not on the shoe makes more sense. This is why I posted this here, so I can use the collective smarts of the boards LOL

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »

Since I somewhat Hijacked this thread, I thought I would stop by and post my latest revision to my homemade trip clips.

I decided to try a plastic clip rather than a typical metal suspender clip.  So far it is working out nicely.  No damage to any pants, couches, etc. which always worried me about my initial design.

This is my personal pair, but I am thinking about making these, in Vibram black and yellow, and selling them if anyone is interested.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: