BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 25, 2014, 07:12:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got some Vivobarefoot Neo Trails  (Read 983 times)
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »

Well I finally got a chance to try on a pair of Vivobarefoot Off Road Mids, and found them a bit stiff - I guess that's what people look for in trekking boots/shoes, but not me...

So I then tried on some completely black Neo Trails in a 41, and liked them better. The first pair seemed to have something strange going on with the toebox as it was cavernous above the toes, I could flex my big toe up to catch on the seams at the top of the toebox...! As much as I like room for my toes that was just a bit odd. I tried on one size smaller, found those too small, then tried on a different pair of 41's - these were better, so I bought them.

They've been on a few trial trails  Roll Eyes already as I work in the countryside I get chance to amble up hills at lunchtimes, on grit and gravel tracks, I ran up and then downhill on a track in them, and I'm pretty pleased with the grip they offer. They aren't so good on concrete surfaces in the rain, however. Tarmac, again, not amazing but I guess they're not meant for running on the road.

Ground feel is...different to what I'm used to. Two years of Vivobarefoot's thinnest soles (Lucys/Aquas)  and feedback in the Neo Trails is muted - the soles have become more flexible after a week's wear, and though you can tell when you are on gravel or grass, you don't feel so much. The sole is 2.5mm plus 4mm lugs - I'm wearing them with the 3mm insole in too. Where stepping on a chunk of gravel would cause me to limp onto my other foot in my Lucys, I can quite happily bear weight in the Neos, feeling my foot curl a little around it.

I've seen similar comments on what it's like to wear them for longer periods - yes they are quite warm and after some hours can cause the feet to get a bit hot. (I should imagine this will be a good thing in the Winter as I can suffer from cold feet) I've been out for half an hour walks in the rain and they're not bad at keeping the water out (much better than my Lucys/Aquas) - you can paddle a bit in shallow puddles without fear of getting wet toe. They've also got mud on them and so far that's wiping off okay.

One thing I would say is that they seemed to need a bit of wearing in compared to all the other VB  shoes I have - probably because of the stiffer material used. The hinge/crease where the toebox bends did seem to press on my little toe for a while, it seems to be loosening though. I'm currently wearing them to work every day in order to wear them in a bit - which I can get away with as they are black and actually look quite smart for a trail shoe!  Grin
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:23:57 AM by Sablewings » Logged

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »

nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »

Eek! You're not spying on me are you? I got a pair of Merrell Tough Gloves in the post today (black, size 46). They seem to fit well (not taken the tags off yet), but there are a few little quibbles with them:

• Stiff sole I assume that will break in
  • Off-centre laces. Well, they look like they're off-centre.
  • Poor finishing there's a bit of clear plastic poking through in the seam that's at the base of the tongue.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »

Nope, just needed to replace my veteran pair of black Lucys, which have gone through the stitching  at the top of the toebox!  Cheesy

I've been wanting some Off Road Mids in black since January, was watching and watching Amazon for offers, but nothing, so I thought soddit and paid full price!

Oh, there's one thing that annoys me about the Neo Trails - the laces. Why manufacturers assume we require 20 miles of laces in order to do up a shoe is beyond me - these things need a double knot at minimum or they keep coming undone!

I think if I ever bought a pair of Merrell's I'd quite like the Sonic Glove.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:36:37 AM by Sablewings » Logged

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »

I think if I ever bought a pair of Merrell's I'd quite like the Sonic Glove.
Nice! They look like conventional trainers. I wanted the Tough Glove as a stealth minimalist shoe for more formal situations and for wet days (which we get a lot of round here).

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »

Sablewings

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »

The Tough glove looks great for low-profile wearing.

Ugh, Merrell's colours for ladies barefoot shoes are rancid... (with exception of the dark purple maybe...)  Undecided and not a stealthy black or brown colour in sight! Glad I fit in men's sizes, frankly!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: