BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 24, 2014, 12:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saucony Kinvara  (Read 7561 times)
iain

iain is starting to look familiar.iain is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »

Looking at their video of runners pounding their heels into the ground in slow motion shows they are not really promoting a barefoot running technique. I hear Bango

"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." Woody Allen
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »

Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »

bango and iain are totally correct on this thought.  you have to listen to what these guys are saying in this video and in their ads.  they are not calling this a minimalist shoe.  they are saying it's designed minimally.  they are taking a buzz word and tossing it around as much as humanly possible without actually using it the way we as minimalists expect.  that is marketing 101.  take a shoe, cut out 90% of what is normally in it, and tag the word minimal all over it because it is minimal in comparison.  very smart and very elementary advertising that i guarantee will have the uneducated runner snagging these bad boys from running stores everywhere because they are minimal that's that the latest news story told them was good. 

Bango Skank

Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.

master of the five fingered discount :O

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »

What confuses me though is not that they want to exploit a growing market/movement - that makes sense - but that they could just as easily be selling a legitimately minimalist shoe and charge the same price for it instead of this 'a pig in lipstick' crap.  EG. if the Nike Free's simply shaved down their heels, they would be a pretty decent minimal running shoe... so why don't they?  Or take shoes that they already have that are decently minimal (eg Saucony Grid A4's), and put the minimalist/barefoot label on those instead?  Wouldn't that actually save them money in the manufacturing process and make them money in the retail market?  I just don't get why they are being seemingly willfully ignorant about this when I see no obvious benefit to their bottom line.    It's not like there is some sort of conspiracy among podiatrists and sneaker vendors to purposely mess people's feet up, haha.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:19:19 AM by Bango Skank » Logged

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
-Buddha
bigtruckguy3500

bigtruckguy3500 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »

Keep in mind that while minimalist runners are growing in number, we are still an incredibly small niche market.  I have convinced very few people to take up minimalist running, and those that I have love it.  But everyone else either doesn't want to make the transition from heel strike to forefoot because they're too lazy, they're scared of getting injured, or they argue vehemently on the need for support and cushioning because "it's an unnatural solution (shoes) to an unnatural problem (hard concrete)."  So if you can convince someone who doesn't know much (most people), that they are getting the best of both worlds, I think they'll go for it.
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »

Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 12:06:23 PM »

it's about newness.  taking an old shoe and doing something with it or relabeling it wont make as much impact as putting something new out there and making a big deal out of it.  i would love it if the free would shave down the heel and odds are that nike will at somepoint and just make it the next step in the free ladder.  they left the heel because most people heel strike which makes sense.  the bigger this "movement" grows the more you will see change.  until then you wont see much change

jefflichty

jefflichty is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »

i work in a shoe store that carries a bunch of saucony models, and from personal experiance if a persons heel is too narrow for newbalance and fore foot to wide for asics they fall in love with saucony cause its the perfect hybrid between the two...if it goes narrow they'll be competing with mizuno and we dont' bring those out all that often because of how narrow they really are.
Anderson

Anderson is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »

I feel like these larger shoe companies are at least recognizing minimalist/barefoot running.

All they are recognizing is a new market to exploit.  Any mainstream shoe companies who develop a very structured shoe and call it minimalist are no different than General Mills fortifying Cocoa Puffs with vitamins and calling it "health food."  It's a gimmick.

Eggzactly the point I was going to make!  Corporations are printing vines on hi-tech devices made from who knows how many toxic substances because "GREEN" is in.  Saying in your ad copy that your new narrow-toed heel-padded design caters to the minimalist is just an attempt to lure some market share from products that actually deliver on those claims.

"Buy me a Bushmills, I'll sing you a song."
tak555

tak555 is starting to look familiar.tak555 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »

....Or take shoes that they already have that are decently minimal (eg Saucony Grid A4's), and put the minimalist/barefoot label on those instead?  Wouldn't that actually save them money in the manufacturing process and make them money in the retail market?

yah, in the case of saucony, it really makes no sense... you release a relatively minimal shoe like the A4, which is marketed as a neutral racing flat, and at the same time you release the kinvara, which doesn't appear to be minimal at all.  

but while we're talking about the A4, i've been logging more miles in them lately and really liking it... as suggested to me by jimmy hart, they're quickly turning into my transition shoe (i'm doing VFF's maybe twice a week now)... my brooks adrenaline are just collecting dust  Smiley

i stole this from member Ableobject... but it's cool:
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
Jimmy Hart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »

glad to hear it tak.  i spent some time in the store playing with the kinvara and the a4 and i gotta say the kinvara is not what we look for in a shoe.  it's stiff and i was not impressed.  the a4 however was much better.  stiff at first but i could tell it will loosen up.  i also like the cut of the sole and i think it's a good rest day/transition shoe for a minimalist runner. 

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: