BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 30, 2014, 01:00:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF alternatives for wide feet?  (Read 2465 times)
lowwall

lowwall is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

What are the choices for someone with really wide forefeet?  I just got some Stems and while they are wide enough without socks, I'm not completely convinced they are the answer.  I land a little bit on the outside rounded part of the heels when walking and I don't think they'll hold up to a lot of running.  I have some NB Minimus Multisport (the original Trails with a water-resistant upper) in 2E and they are a bit too narrow.  Are the NB Trail Zeros in 4E my only remaining option in a road or trail shoe?
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

I know that both the Merrell Trail Glove and Pace Glove are available in wide widths.  I don't know if they are significantly wider than the originals though. You might also want to check out Soft Star Shoes.

Welcome to the site! 

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
snoxu

snoxu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »

I've heard that the wide TG's gain 5mm in width. HTH
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:13:49 PM »

Vivobarefoot Aqua Lite?

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:13:49 PM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:02:44 AM »

I just started using the Altra Instinct for long runs.  They're plenty wide, though not actually minimalist shoes.  The Vivobarefoots are plenty wide for my mutant wide feet and Softstar makes a wide soled version of their RunAmocs and RunAmoc Dash.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:53:22 AM »

With foot measurements of 25.4cm length to 25.4cm circumference round the widest part, (3E width fitting) my feet have always felt crushed in normal women's shoes, which were often too narrow, at the expense of my littlest toe.  I find Vivobarefoot shoes have the toebox width I'm looking for, but just like Vibrams each pair of shoes differs very slightly, so if you try on one pair of one size or colour, try on a second of the same size, and also in another colour, just in case. The black Lucy's were fine, the blue and grey ones are a bit narrower.

I've just got a pair of Neo Trails and I can even flex out my little toe in the women's shoe size, which I am pretty pleased about, because I usually have to go to men's shoes to get the width.  Undecided (I did try on two pairs of the same size though because the first pair had a very high toebox which felt a bit odd, the second pair was better.)

http://birthdayshoes.com/vivobarefoot-neo-trail-review

I also reckon it'd be worth trying out the Merrell Barefoot range.

Last year I tried on about 8 - 10 pairs of Vibrams in a shop - Treksport, Bikila, Komodosport, Jaya and Speed and they all had varying widths - most of the time the women's fit pinched across the top. Intestingly one pair of men's Bikilas had the widest measurements - I found, anyway - they had material to spare over the toebox. At a guess they must have been 4E measurement.

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
lowwall

lowwall is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »

Thanks.  I'll see if I can find someone stocking the Merrells and Vivos and try them on.  But I'm not optimistic, over the years I've worn Rockport wide, NB wide, and Eccos (has one of the widest lasts of the large makers) and tore through the sides of every one of them eventually.  Someday, I'd like to wear out the sole of a shoe.  Maybe a custom Soft Star is the answer.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

If you find Stems to be a little on the narrow side, then I doubt the Vivo line is for you.  Granted I only tried one model, but I found them to be too narrow for my liking.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:48:21 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
d_monic

d_monic is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »

Just to add my two cents . . .

I have a measured Triple E-wide foot, most wide just between my instep and forefoot.  The Vivos work great for me, with even room to spare in the toebox.  I have found the Neo/Ultras to be slighty wider than the Evos, but there is not much of a difference.  I have been running in VFFs and VBs for about 2 years without problem.

I have tried the NB Minimus Line (non-wide version) and the Merrell's and they were not wide enough for me.  Most VFFs work for me, except the Bikilas (which I cannot even put on my foot unless I go up a few sizes).

Just goes to prove everyone's foot is different. 
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »

I have a measured Triple E-wide foot, most wide just between my instep and forefoot.  The Vivos work great for me, with even room to spare in the toebox.  I have found the Neo/Ultras to be slightly wider than the Evos, but there is not much of a difference.  I have been running in VFFs and VBs for about 2 years without problem.

I have tried the NB Minimus Line (non-wide version) and the Merrell's and they were not wide enough for me.  Most VFFs work for me, except the Bikilas (which I cannot even put on my foot unless I go up a few sizes).

Minimus Trail Zero size 8 in 4E is just as wide (or even wider than) Vivobarefoot Aqua Lite/ Ra/Dharma in M42 just FYI. I can go down a half size in NB Minimus Trail Zero in 4E (US8) and still have a ~1/4" in front of my big toe and about 1/8" in front of pinky toe.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:29:19 PM by acc » Logged

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
d_monic

d_monic is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »

Minimus Trail Zero size 8 in 4E is just as wide (or even wider than) Vivobarefoot Aqua Lite/ Ra/Dharma in M42 just FYI. I can go down a half size in NB Minimus Trail Zero in 4E (US8) and still have a ~1/4" in front of my big toe and about 1/8" in front of pinky toe.

I haven't tried the Minimus in the 4E version (disclaimed in my post above) if only because my local store did not have them in stock.  I would consider buying a pair, if I was in need, but I think my next purchase will be a pair of SeeYas to replace my barely-together KSOs.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »

I have a measured Triple E-wide foot, most wide just between my instep and forefoot.  The Vivos work great for me, with even room to spare in the toebox.  I have found the Neo/Ultras to be slighty wider than the Evos, but there is not much of a difference. 

I tried the Neos and found them to be narrower than my Stems.  I fit into them, but they were not comfortable.  The Stems fit me comfortably right out of the box, literally no break in period.  I agree that everyone's feet are different.  It is difficult to get a decent fit with wide feet.  On several VFF models, I have had to up-size by two sizes over the Vibram chart just to gain width. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
dalemc

dalemc is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »

Altra Adams or Vivo Aqua Lite
t8769

t8769 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »

Vivo Barefoot are rather strange in their sizing. Some are very wide, some thinner - you have to try them on.

For non-running the synthetic suede really stretches a lot.

hotfoot

hotfoot is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »

Thanks.  I'll see if I can find someone stocking the Merrells and Vivos and try them on.  But I'm not optimistic, over the years I've worn Rockport wide, NB wide, and Eccos (has one of the widest lasts of the large makers) and tore through the sides of every one of them eventually.  Someday, I'd like to wear out the sole of a shoe.  Maybe a custom Soft Star is the answer.

I have to say, I have a very wide foot as well (4E and a really high instep), and had the Vivos recommended to me as being wider shoes.  I ordered a pair and found them to be no wider than most 2E shoes I have tried to fit in to.  They were all particularly unpleasant around the ball of the foot.  I was lucky that I ordered from a company that did free returns and exchanges.  I tried four or five pairs of the Vivos, but none of them were wide enough.  I then tried the open top VFF sprints, and they are pretty awesome.  The open top allows for the high instep, and they stretch pretty well for the fat foot, they aren't perfect, but they are comfortable enough for everyday casual wear.  This was prior to the release of the NB 4E model, so I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Soft Star shoes.  Best choice EVER.  I have toe shoes that allow for full range of movement of each individual toe, and I still find myself going to put these simple leather mocs on every chance I can find.  A little help from a friend, and a measuring tape is all it takes to get a great pair of shoes at a similar price to that of other minimal shoes.  Good luck, hope you find something that works for you.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: