BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 08:10:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF alternatives  (Read 1198 times)
mpanzca

mpanzca is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

i posted a similar thread in here earlier, but now i've narrowed my VFF alternative search down to two shoes. im looking for a low-to-the-ground shoe built mainly for smooth, flatt surfaces. Reason being because i'm looking for something w/o toes. anyway,  the two shoes are the Merrell Road Glove and the Vivobarefoot Evo. What's everyone's take on these shoes? and does anyone own either pair? the evos are definitely lower to the ground, but idk if the sole is built for the roads as much as the merrells because of their in steps.
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »

There is also the New Balance Minimus Zero Roads.

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »

Are your feet particularly wide?  If so, I do not think either of these will be good options for you.  I tried on several pair of Merrells, prior to them releasing a wide width model, and none of them fit.  I have not had an opportunity to try their new wider widths becasue my local store has not gotten any in yet.  I also Had the VB Neos and they were not as bad as the Merrells, but still not wide enough for comfortable wear.  The only shoe that was wide enough right out of the box was my Stems (now Leming).  The only drawback is they are not winter friendly, but neither were the VB Neos or any other Merrell model that I tried previously.  Merrell does offer an all leather option, however that is not a model that they make in wide widths yet.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »

Well I have the Evo's, and my friend has Merrell's, I love the Evo's, they have great ground feel, and I find them wide enough. However some people with wider feet do find them too narrow. They are for me the best alternative to Vff's for winter and wet conditions right now. My friend does not care for her Merrell's Lithe Gloves, she finds them too thick and stiff.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »

qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »

I own the road gloves and think they are great.  One of the best minimalist shoes I've tried.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »

Altra Adam?

Surprised you didn't look at the Vivobarefoot Aqua Lite: it's lighter than the Evo and more flexible. The sole is better for roads than the Evo/Neo and is the one recommended by Lee Saxby for roads.

The Minimus Road Zero comes in 2E width and the Minimus Trail Zero comes in 4E width.

The Merrell Road Glove and all the other shoes they make (except Trail Glove) don't come in wide so you'd have to get it widened if your feet are extra wide like mine. It's also got "arch something": i.e. if your foot is wide at the midfoot like mine you will not want to tie it tight.

The Saucony Hattori has the same issue if your foot is wide and the toebox isn't that roomy heightwise.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:32:40 PM by acc » Logged

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
mpanzca

mpanzca is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »

thanks for all the input. i might look at a pair of evos. ive seen a lot of good reviews coming from altras, but honestly, they're so ugly i could never see myself running in those.
qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »

thanks for all the input. i might look at a pair of evos. ive seen a lot of good reviews coming from altras, but honestly, they're so ugly i could never see myself running in those.

the look of the Altra Adam is... unusual, yes.  But how about the Altra Samson?  Not quite as minimal but pretty close.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »

I've got the evo II one pair to run in when needed and a second pair for casual that whenever i cant wear the vff's i tend to goto and so far they have been great through a UK winter and for working at events where i need something a bit more than the vibrams
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: