BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:34:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vivo Barefoot Off Road Mid - Trekking Boots  (Read 2057 times)
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:44:07 AM »

So Vivo Barefoot released minimal-sole trekking boots, which got me quite excited seeing as the vast majority of barefoot shoes can't cope too well in a mostly cold and wet climate such as the UK's. I own some Vibrams but they get little wear between November and March, and even my Vivo Barefoot shoes tend to let water in if it rains and I step in a puddle.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/off-road-mid-mens-13.html
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/ladies/off-road-mid-ladies-6.html

They are EXPENSIVE however at 109. (Okay, the same price as a pair of Vibram Speeds over here, but not what I'm used to paying for a pair of Vivos.) So these past months I have been holding back buying a pair and really hoping they will get cheaper...

Has anyone bought or tried on any Off Road Mids - what did you think?

Thanks!  Smiley

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:44:07 AM »

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

I have the women Off Road Hi, and wore them all winter to walk to work, 20-30 minutes everyday. I really like them. The sole is definately stiffer and thicker than Evo's for example because of the lugs, and because they are boots, but they protect well against the cold (I am in Canada), stay clean, look good, are well made. I would buy them again if I were to damage mine.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
somnapathy

somnapathy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »

Bought a pair for cold weather hikes.  I have a couple of concerns with them, but overall they're a positive:

1) the toe box is pretty narrow compared to most VivoBarefoot shoes (or compared to the toe splay of VFFs).  My feet sometimes cramp up if I've worn my off-roads for more than a an hour or two.  I ended up going a size higher than I usually wear just to get a little extra width for my toes, but the problem is still there.  Thing is, everyone's preferred toe box width is going to vary a bit.  My wife has a pair and thinks the toe box is fine.  So... try 'em and see!

2) After hiking in the snow in them, I've noticed (and my wife has as well) that they're NOT 100% waterproof.  They do a much better job of keeping the moisture out than a pair of VFFs would.  But I've gone on two snow hikes in 'em, and moisture did eventually get in both times (right around the toes, not near the top).  Fortunately, because they're still pretty water resistant and the shoes are pretty warm in the first place, any moisture that does get in tends to warm up pretty quickly.  But the problem is there.

I could also complain about the toe spring, but that problem only shows up when you're standing still -- it's not noticeable while walking.  And the shoes aren't super comfortable on concrete, but that's not what I bought them for.

And yes, they are expensive.  My recommendation is to sign up for VivoBarefoot's email list.  They tend to have regular coupon codes on their website from 20% off to (occasionally) as much as 50% off.  Makes a big difference!
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »

Good to know this feedback, thank you. Smiley

My recommendation is to sign up for VivoBarefoot's email list.  They tend to have regular coupon codes on their website from 20% off to (occasionally) as much as 50% off.  Makes a big difference!

This is very much appreciated. I'll sign up today. Smiley

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »

I just ordered a pair of off road hi's today for my treks in the Rockies that I do every year. I ordered a size up, so hopefully I don't find the toe box too cramped. That seems to be the chief complaint with these boots. Though I find when I throw on a pair of hiking socks they tend to compress my feet a bit, so that always helps. I did two hikes in my treks last year which worked out great, except one of them we had a wicked thunder/hailstorm with torrential rain at about 3 degrees celsius. Needless to say I had very wet, cold and raw feet by the end of the hike. Hopefully these can offer some water resistance, as I dislike cold wet feet when hiking. I'll let you all know how I fare in them!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »

FYI - onlineshoes.com has some good deals on Vivobarefoot. I believe they still have their $25 off of $99 or more through midnight tonight.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Sablewings

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »

FYI - onlineshoes.com has some good deals on Vivobarefoot

Sadly onlineshoes don't ship to the UK or Europe, so no good for Englishers like me!  Undecided

http://onlineshoes.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/onlineshoes.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=12&p_created=1162503636&p_sid=DejtVhVk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTAsMTAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPTEmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0xLjEmcF9wYWdlPTE!&p_li=&p_topview=1

I've been watching the ones on Amazon UK like a hawk for months, but they haven't dropped in price yet. (The olive colour ones have, but I'd much rather have a pair of black ones!)

paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »

FYI - onlineshoes.com has some good deals on Vivobarefoot

Sadly onlineshoes don't ship to the UK or Europe, so no good for Englishers like me!  Undecided

I've been watching the ones on Amazon UK like a hawk for months, but they haven't dropped in price yet. (The olive colour ones have, but I'd much rather have a pair of black ones!)

Sablewings - Im off to the States on holiday next month and will be shopping on several occassions (its the GFs passion) when Im there.  Ive already ordered VFFs from Travel Country for pick up from store, so if there is a stockist for what your looking for in the Orlando area let me know & I can pick some up for you
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »

Take a look at the Patagonia website. There are a few Gore-Tex water proof hiking boots that look to have a somewhat minimal sole. I don't know for sure, but you could probably e-mail with your questions. Several on-line retailers carry the Patagonia brand so you should be able to get them in the UK. The one that catches my eye is the Patagonia Men's Drifter.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
Sablewings

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »

paulr - that offer's greatly appreciated - I've looked on Travel Country but they don't carry many vivobarefoot shoes, and what they do carry cost about the same as they do on Amazon UK. I think I may sit it out and hope vivobarefoot will offer discount codes in their email newsletter soon.
What Travel Country DO stock however is VFF Speeds in blue...for about 63. though as I don't *need* another pair of Speeds the fact we can't get blue (or even green n orange mix) ones over here is a serious temptation!  Grin

Jeepman - I've checked out the Patagonia site - I'm a fan of their R1 pullovers (have got 3) and get them when they go half price, but their shoes still look too rugged and stiff-soled. (I've just sold my heavy hiking shoes on Ebay) But thanks for the link! Smiley

paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »

Might be worth having a look at Amazon Uk site - quite a few good prices on there at the mo for Vivobarefoot

My g/f just ordered these for 40 UK size 6 (other sizes are priced at 109)  http://www.amazon.co.uk/VivoBarefoot-Off-Road-Mid-Top-Pull-Up/dp/B00593WFAQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1348276725&sr=8-14

This may sound wierd but while we were looking at Vivobarefoot prices I noticed these  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivobarefoot-Evo-Crimson-Trainer-VB210001MGRYCRN/dp/B00594LVHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348276725&sr=8-1  at silly prices too.  They also go up to UK size 9 (EU43) which is my size and Im tempted to order the dark blue pair for 21 (yep 21 !!)  - any thoughts as to whether this size 43 in a womens is a mistake by amazon, or will they be around the same size as mens 43 - though maybe a bit narrower ?
Sablewings

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »

Ooh, many thanks for the heads up. Smiley  I bought a pair of VB Neo Trails a few months ago though and probably can't justify getting another pair of shoes at the moment (Even if they are only 20...crazy price!) I've got 4 pairs of barefoot shoes in very good condition and 1 pair worn out, if only it was the other way round.... Wink

The hiking boots are 109 for my size (7)  Boo...  Embarrassed

paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »

Ooh, many thanks for the heads up. Smiley  I bought a pair of VB Neo Trails a few months ago though and probably can't justify getting another pair of shoes at the moment (Even if they are only 20...crazy price!) I've got 4 pairs of barefoot shoes in very good condition and 1 pair worn out, if only it was the other way round.... Wink

A woman who cant justify a new pair of shoes ?? - well,  thats a first !!  Wink Cheesy
Sablewings

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »

A woman who cant justify a new pair of shoes ?? - well,  thats a first !!  Wink Cheesy

I am a strange fish, 'tis true. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: