BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 21, 2014, 07:59:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vivobarefoot worksmanship is lacking  (Read 3672 times)
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »

Both the Vivobarefoot Evo I bought for someone via LeftLanesports, the ones I saw in the NYC store, and the Ra I bought off Onlineshoes are of inferior quality to Merrell (clean seams, unblemished soft leather) or New Balance Minimus Zeros I tried.

Problems:
glue issues
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zO4wS1dXhrM/T2u3M-yn2BI/AAAAAAAAAHs/PWMQvtRYfxk/s1600/IMG_0913.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tt6NMBCkdMM/T2u4TLCGtKI/AAAAAAAAAI0/bm4aZN_DbcA/s1600/IMG_0929.JPG

seam issues
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-erTiGuYQBwk/T2u3TnkyQCI/AAAAAAAAAH0/kieTQmSf3jA/s1600/IMG_0914.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OaP4k_YEwgY/T2u4Z6zJr9I/AAAAAAAAAI8/0ld7wNtNmjw/s1600/IMG_0936.JPG

a wide toebox that isn't so wide
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1WGEPXAN8tg/T2u8rPl96gI/AAAAAAAAAJc/rcozj7srIUU/s1600/IMG_0934.JPG
M42 isn't wide enough either... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HixSOK-zDGY/T2vAUf7K9MI/AAAAAAAAAJk/9R4nSn-0gSw/s1600/IMG_0907-threshold+filter.JPG

Intrernet-reported sizing anomalies that are worse than VFFs' sizing issues. (hilarious since they don't have toe pockets and only have a multi-layered sole + insole)

I can forgive Vibram for seams/glue since the seams are much more complex. But Vivobarefoot has no excuse: they are part of Clarks and give their workers "fair wages". So unless giving workers fair wages means they slack off, I don't see how these could be brought to market for the same price as Rockports. Oh wait, they have the minimalist formal footwear market pretty much cornered. (and no, $300 Primal Professional shoes are not an alternative.)

Also their toebox is along the lines of 2E-3E. I fit into a Minimus Zero US Men's 8 , 4E width and can splay all the way. In the Ra M41 I can't splay. In the M42 I can barely splay but have half an inch to 3/4" in front of my big toe.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:14:28 PM by acc » Logged

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »

The first picture you have is a dab of glue to hold the sole in if you decide to not remove it.  If you remove the sole, the glue comes right out.  As for seam issues, I don't have any of those problems and the shoes are plenty wide for me.  I don't even see a problem with your second picture..

It's possible that they aren't wide enough for you but my Ra's and Neo's are some of my favorite shoes.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

I have the RA, the Oaks, and the Evo IIs.  I got the RA and Oaks directly from Vivobarefoot and the Evo IIs from Leftlane and haven't had any QC issues with any of them.  Initially it felt like the shoes weren't as roomy as the Merrell Trail Gloves, but I found that after breaking in the insole, it seems to be quite roomy now.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »

Thanks for the insight on the glue... but the seams on the inside still seem to be really messy.
It may be unclear in the second picture but the glue on the seam for the plastic strip that says Vivobarefoot also has excess glue.

There's also excess thread where the seams are. Initially I didn't wear it with the insole. I ended up putting the insole back in due the seams.

As far as fit goes, the picture where it's filtered to be black and white is M42. The one with the sock is M41. In both cases my pinky toe can't spread because it touches the end of the insole. The leather is also very hard, and I would not wear them without socks.

I got it from Terra Plana according to the box...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-76sGsEob4ts/T2u4xzpdK9I/AAAAAAAAAJU/Ix3wEF74nqo/s1600/IMG_0942.JPG

When I went to the physical store the quality on the bottom of the soles was also erratic... some lugs were not the same size /shape.

It's okay for a pair of sneakers to have excess glue, but when it's over $110 retail, you'd expec to have at least Rockport dressport quality. I can't take it to the cobbler to widen them either. I'm worried he'd rip it to shreds with seams like this.

And yes, it could just be I'm nitpicking and that my feet are freakishly wide now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:07:43 PM by acc » Logged

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »

TsuaSai

TsuaSai is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »

I completely agree. I have two pairs of Evo IIs one mine and one and my husbands. Mine started coming apart after 3 months. I emailed them about it asking if anything could be done about it and they never replied. I also contacted them on facebook and the result was the same. Now about a year or so later my husbands are completely falling apart and he only wears his on the weekends since they wouldn't work for his job. That said I won't be buying anything else from there till something changes. Seems crazy for that to happen to both our shoes with so little wear on them at 160 bucks a pop when we bought them.
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »

That's strange, I've been running in Evo II all winter long, in snow, slush and salt, and they look completely new, they don't even get dirty. I can't imagine how they can come apart being they look like there is nothing that can unravel on them. Maybe you got a bad batch...

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:21:58 AM »

I have to say, like others above I'm not finding too much of an issue with the photographs, and have found all pairs of my Vivos pretty solid. I've not found any glue in the footbeds either, the insoles come out and the insides are clean.

I own -
1 pair black leather Vivo Barefoot Lucys bought in 2009 - hundreds of miles walked in these shoes, very wide footbed. I am still wearing them now in 2012, the only issue with them is around 1cm of stitching has come apart above the toes on the right foot. It could be repairable though.

1 pair blue and grey Lucy's bought in 2010 (40/$63) still 100% solid though they need a wash...  Grin They are long in the toebox, but seem a little narrower than my black leather ones, not enough to bother, but I notice it. They have a different upper, so this may be why.

Vibram have this exact same issue with their black KSO's being varying sizes to the other colours - I got fitted for my Speeds and black KSO's in a shop, and was surprised how much the Vibrams varied between their shoe types - my feet varied between a M42 to a W40. With Vivo barefoot I've ordered a 42 (size 8 ) each time and they've been ok.

1 pair red and pink Aqua Lites bought in 2012 (50/$79) - I was a little unsure about these at first because there's only a single-line of stitching around the upper sections, and the toebox seems stiffer, but then I figured it was the styling of the Aquas. One thing I have noticed though is the footbed is a bit smaller than the shoe, so my toes actually poke over the end when I'm walking...! Maybe I should contact Terra Plana, if they are nice maybe they'll replace the footbeds...?

Because of the recession and the big markup profit possible on barefoot shoes I do wonder if there are some fakes or seconds for the Vivo barefoot shoes floating around now - just like the Vibrams, and in a few cases they may be making their way into shops? It is a worry.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:27:29 AM by Sablewings » Logged

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
d_monic

d_monic is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »

Just a thought, after I noticed some punctures in the upper on the side of my first pair of EVOs and heard that there was a recent design change by VB, I called the NY store and they offered me a replacement pair of shoes at no cost to me (not even shipping).  Excellent customer service, IMHO.  Perhaps it made a difference since I purchased from them directly?

Other than that, I've owned 3 pairs of VB and sizing/fit/quality has been fantastic.
assdksl

assdksl is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

Hi guys! My first post!

I have a similar problem Sad I ordered all black Aquas size 45... I received size 46... that was the only good thing about the purchase. Inside shoe, there is red lined stitch that is "mirror" stitch to the one holding out sole to the upper of the shoe (if that made any sense). It is so badly sewn on the right shoe that it's like very sharp saw (like some particles of glue are sticking from the holes of the stitching) which makes shoe almost unwearable. I checked the left shoe too and there are similar sections but not on the critical parts touching the foot (like outer portion of the foot next to the little finger). So what do you thing I should do? Should I try to somehow fix that on my own or should I call for reclamation or smth. Shoes looks nice btw. Too bad Sad

And about the sizing if anybody is interested, my feet are 29cm long (11.4 inches). I'm usually 11 or 11.5 in Nike shoes so I mailed Terra Plana asking which size should I order. They said 45. I ordered 45 and got 46 instead. But, in 46, shoes are on the roomy and long side which I liked. They are also not very light for this type of shoes. I would classify them as urban-casual-semi-minimal shoes Smiley That's not bad or good for me, just to let you know what to expect if you order Smiley

And one more question. I've seen some1 mentioning Merrell road glove. If I try to get them online (I tried EU45 in store and they were a bit short for my liking) what size would you suggest?

All the best!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

I got my second pair of Vivo Barefoot shoes yesterday from the Clymb, however they are the first pair that I am keeping.  First, I tried the black/white Neos and I found them a tad on the narrow side and my wife did not care for the aesthetics of them.  I returned them.  I now have the Neo Trail Hydrophobic in a size bigger and they are going to be staying.  Overall I like the shoes, however I am a little disappointed in the quality of the shoes, or lack thereof.  The first thing I noticed was the heel tab on the back of the right shoe was crooked.  I then also spotted a few unclean marks, some excessive glue and a frayed thread poking out from somewhere it did not belong.  Now I am not an overly critical person and as I previously stated I am keeping the shoes, however there are too many little things to not at least sound off about it here amongst other users.  I am not worried about the glue, rather there be a little too much glue than not enough.  I think I can use a very fine tipped crafting scissors and remedy the frayed piece of thread issue easily enough.  The only thing that I cannot do anything about is the crooked heel tab.  It is not noticeable on, but I know it is there and it is bothersome to me.  I wondered if it was a second or something and possibly that is why it was on The Clymb.  I actually started another thread post on it.  I will have to see if I can get a few pictures to put up like acc did.

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/the-clymb-any-negative-experiences/msg61955/?boardseen#new
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:55:09 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
UltimaMMA

UltimaMMA is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »

I own several pairs of Vivobarefoot shoes including the Aqueous, Neo, Oaks, and Aqua Lite. The Neo and Oak shoes are fine but the Aqueous and Aqua Lite shoes are falling apart. The Aqueous started separating at a few seams, developing lil holes so its not so water resistant anymore. The Aqua Lites are separating as well:
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

I'm completely unimpressed by the quality of the workmanship of their newer products...it seems to have gone downhill over the years. I got a pair of Kali's 3 years ago and have had to superglue a few places where the upper started to come away from the sole, but otherwise they're extremely comfortable, the leather is soft and durable, and I haven't had any other problems with them. On the other hand my husband got a pair of Dharma's about 8 months ago and they're kind of crap. I've had to glue at least as many areas on his as on mine despite the newer age, and the leather is stiff and rough and almost feels like a synthetic material. The one thing I have to say they got right is the sole - extremely thin and flexible, and apparently quite durable. Now if only they made the other parts of the shoe to the same standard, they might actually be worth the money. As it is, I don't feel right giving my money to them, and will stick with Soft Stars, Lunas and other companies that actually take pride in what they make.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:31:05 PM by skye97 » Logged
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »

Because of the recession and the big markup profit possible on barefoot shoes I do wonder if there are some fakes or seconds for the Vivo barefoot shoes floating around now - just like the Vibrams, and in a few cases they may be making their way into shops? It is a worry.

Interesting idea...it seems entirely possible given the discrepancies seen here.  Though I wonder, for the people who are happy with their shoes, what year did you purchase them? Maybe VBF has just gotten lazy or knows that people will pay a lot for them regardless of quality, so the figure why bother with quality control?
RayKay

RayKay is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »

So far my VBs are limited to the Vienna boots, Off-Road Hi's, and three pairs of Jing Jings and I have found them all to be excellent quality. I wear my Jing Jings everyday for work now, my boots daily in crappy winter conditions, and my Off-Roads have been put through the wringer hiking some pretty long, multi-day, and technical trails this past summer.

They share the spotlight with my Soft Stars and Vibrams. I will say I have not yet tried any of VBs "performance" shoes.

All mine were bought in last year-ish.

VFF's: KSOx2, Treks, Bikila x2, Bikila LS, Jaya LR x3, Spyridon LS, Komodosports LS x3, Signa
Non-VFF's: Soft Star Ramblers, Merry Janes, Phoenix, Roos (with TLS), VivoBarefoot Vienna Boots, Off Road Hi's, Neo Trails, Jing Jings x3, Merrell Wonder Gloves x2, Konvines x2
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 07:19:13 AM »

And from all my dealings with vivo they do seem to care Ive had free replacement laces when one of the retainers failed on my two year old ultra's and a friend who managed to put a hole in his evo's the week before his marathon was sent new shoes free even though the fault was just through use.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: