BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any reason to *not* run in KSO Treks?  (Read 1591 times)
straffin

straffin is a new face.

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »

Hello,

I'm about to buy my first pair of Vibrams and I think I want the KSO Treks. I like the leather, the more "normal" look, the durability, and the other-outdoorsy-stuff-ability of them over the standard KSO, but I do plan to run on pavement in them. Is there any reason that pavement/road-running in Treks would be an amazingly bad idea?

- John
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »

orlin03

orlin03 is starting to look familiar.orlin03 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »

The only drawback to using them on the road is that they wear quicker than the standard bottom; you might get half the life that you could expect out of a KSO. I think if I continue the way I'm going, 500 miles will be the max (I'm noticing wear under the outer balls of the feet). I've used mine for lots of road racing and training; slower running might have been easier on them.

Other than that, they are extremely comfy once broken in, and they look great!

Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »

I still think the normal KSOs are the best all around VFF with the classics being second. Treks really shouldn't be your first VFF, but to each his own.

I wouldn't run in the rain with treks or any vff on unless you like wet feet.
straffin

straffin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:26:37 AM »

So, faster wear is the primary concern? Nothing anatomical or anything? I was mainly concerned about street-running in "lightly lugged" soles (but, at only 4mm, those lugs *are* pretty light).

Re:500 mile - I don't run now, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm a cyclist and swimmer who is going to take on a Triathlon this year and need something on my feet (too distractable to trust myself to see and avoid road hazards if actually barefoot). There's just so much to like about the Treks, especially after reading the BirthdayShoes review (http://birthdayshoes.com/vibram-five-fingers-kso-trek-review), I just wanted to ensure I wouldn't be hurting myself by running in them.

Re:water - I don;t plan to ever run in the rain, if I can help it, so that's not a problem either.  Smiley  Seriously tho, I don't mind the wet and like the fact that (according to the review) the leather uppers of the Treks actually breathe better and dry faster than standard KSOs.

Now, where to find them, preferably on sale...   Huh
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:26:37 AM »

Pete Rasmussen

Pete Rasmussen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »

I've run exactly 406 miles in my brown Treks (says Runkeeper, since August), almost all of the miles on pavement, and they're holding up well.  The leather is just awesome.  Each and every time I put them on it feels just perfect.  I've washed (and dried) mine a dozen times and the only negative consequence is some separation on the sides near the toes.  Super glue fixed that.

They do, in fact, run a little flatter than the KSOs:  my wife can even hear the difference when I'm on the treadmill.  I believe this changes my landing just a bit:  I hit the ground with my forefoot almost evenly across the front.  With my KSOs I land more on the outside of my foot and roll (pronate?) towards the ball. 

If I could get them, I'd want the KSOs in kangaroo leather.  Given that I can't, I'll take the leather over the slightly-more unnatural sole of the Treks.

At the end of the day, both are great shoes.  Orders of magnitude better than standard running or walking shoes. 

- Pete
straffin

straffin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »

Okay. I went to REI yesterday and tried on a pair of Size 45 Blue Camo KSOs which fit perfectly. They didn't carry the Trek in-store, so I didn't feel bad trying them on there when I had no intent to buy there.  Shocked  I just called up GSS Gear and ordered a pair of 45 Brown KSO Treks, total cost = $100. I'm so excited!!    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
RunningDan72

RunningDan72 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »

I run On and Off road with my Treks and love every step. I cannot think of any reason not to whole-heartedly recommend that you run and run and run in them!

Things to think about, your KSOs will dry faster if you step in a puddle or run in the rain, the KSO will be cooler in the summer. You will get less 'feel' in the Trek but they offer more protection, Lastly they were not designed specifically for running so the seams are more pronounced than in some other models
iain

iain is starting to look familiar.iain is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »

The only drawback to using them on the road is that they wear quicker than the standard bottom; you might get half the life that you could expect out of a KSO. I think if I continue the way I'm going, 500 miles will be the max (I'm noticing wear under the outer balls of the feet). I've used mine for lots of road racing and training; slower running might have been easier on them.

Other than that, they are extremely comfy once broken in, and they look great!
would just the extra tread wear away flat and then you are back to a smooth sole similar to the KSOs?

"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." Woody Allen
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: