BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 22, 2014, 03:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barefoot for horse and human. :)  (Read 1179 times)
shadowfax_c11

shadowfax_c11 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

Hi there. Thought I should introduce myself in case anyone was interested.

I live in Western PA and have been practicing as a hoof care provider for a few years. My focus has been on getting horses back to barefoot and out of nailed on shoes due to the damage they cause in horses feet. So it was pretty natural to me to take up wearing VFFs after I first discovered them a bit over a year ago.

It did take me some time to get around to finding out what those funny looking shoes were that I saw on someone's feet at an aikido seminar in Ohio. Oh yes did I mention I also practice the martial art aikido? Been at it a tad over three years and am currently preparing for my nikkyu test. That's two grades below shodan (black belt).

Anyway I was experiencing a lot of knee trouble. Iv'e had knee issues for a lot of years but things were getting worse. Especially after I got a slight meniscus tear in one of them during a night of training at the dojo.

Now my living and hobbies require that I be on my feet a lot and my knees get a lot of work. Aikido, hoof trimming, horseback riding and training and working part time cooking in a restaurant all put a lot of wear and tear on my knees. And the pain was getting about unbearable. Massage and chiropractor were helping as were joint supplements but not enough. I was having to buy new shoes for work every 3 months because as soon as they started to wear a bit my knees would start hurting. Some days I could barely walk. Some mornings I would get out of bed and could hardly stand to stand up it hurt so much.

So I finally decided to spring for  a pair of these shoes. If they would just last me 6 months I could justify the price.

So I went on line last fall and found a pair of green/gray KSOs on sale and got them. I must say they were a pain in the rear to put on and a size too small so the seams made the ends of my middle toes sore But I noticed pretty fast that my knees didn't hurt. A month later my boss said I had to have all black shoes as per the company policy but that I could wear vibrams as long as they were black so I sold my green ones for not much less than I paid for them and got a pair of black ones. My knees have been virtually pain free ever since.

The only time I do not wear them is when I have to trim hooves. As much as I am dying to try it I don't think the toe shoes would be much protection if one of  my 1,000 pound friends decided to stand on my foot, as has happened many times. Smiley

« on: July 18, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »

Welcome Shadowfax!

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »

Hey there! I am also a horse lover, but my beloved Quarter Horse Alex died 2 years ago at the age of 28, which left me half dead with pain. I used to trim his feet myself as well with Pete Ramey's techniques. I always enjoy encountering people who realize all the damage those stupid metal shoes do to our horses. I was also a fierce defender of bitless bridles. Enjoy your Vff's, however I do understand they are not too fantastic around horses or for riding. No so much the weight on the foot in my case but the shearing force if they step on your foot while also rotating... ouch!  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:16:25 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
toh-shu

toh-shu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »

Welcome (formally) to the site.

I find it so incredible that by changing up your foot wear so that all you are standing on is a 3mm rubber sole with a few mm of padding on the inside can alleviate so many peoples knee or back pain. Glad the vff are working great for you!

My VFFs: Black/Grey TrekSports (Torn and fixed sort of.  Sad), Grey/palm KSOs, White/Grey/Red Bikilas, Brown/Black Spyridon LS, White/Black Speeds

NB MT10
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »

monkeyshoes

monkeyshoes is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »

Wlecome  Grin, i like the horse thing too, though I have never done but ride in fair
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:37:25 PM by monkeyshoes » Logged
shadowfax_c11

shadowfax_c11 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »

Thanks everyone. As you can see I don't get here real often. JSut checked out the nbew models coming out and I am very excited to see one that is meant for those wet floors I work on. Cheesy

Welcome (formally) to the site.

I find it so incredible that by changing up your foot wear so that all you are standing on is a 3mm rubber sole with a few mm of padding on the inside can alleviate so many peoples knee or back pain. Glad the vff are working great for you!

I know right? I was pretty skeptical myself but the pain I was dealing with pretty much drove me to the point I would try anything. I think my understanding of how taking the shoes off of horses is so beneficial helped. The interesting thing too is that I am a pretty heavy person so one would really expect the lack of cushion to be a big problem. It did take my feet and legs some time to adjust but the improvement has been amazing. Even my chiropractor is impressed.

Horse rider. so sorry for your loss. My first horse was 36 when I had to have him PTS and it was horrible for me to deal with after having had him for 22 years. The mare I have now though is something very special and I am so glad I have her. I hope some day you will be able to have a horse in your life again. Smiley
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »

Thanks shadowfax, loving and riding a horse for a quarter of a century is not something one can let go of easily and I know you understand. Good luck with your new toe shoe lifestyle!

Treksport Pink
Flow Black
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Soni

Soni is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »

Hi, I came on here to make my first post and introduce myself, but got stalled by your post, and thought I'd say 'Hi' here first Cheesy I don't have horses at the moment, but had three barefoot a few years ago. I was also so inspired by taking them barefoot that when I realised what the VFFs were....erm yesterday!.....that I wanted to look into it more. I'll go and make an introductory post now. Hi from Wales UK Smiley
Horse Rider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »

Welcome! Yeah it only makes sense for both the horses and us that we shouldn't have restrictive shoes.

Treksport Pink
Flow Black
Alitza Grey/Rose
Belbe

Belbe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »

all hale for barefoot!!!

I'm a Pete ramey fan as well! on account of him have made many horses happy and comfortable barefoot or on "horse sneakers" when needed, and have fixed my own hip and knee problem, plus my plantar fascitis with my own "ridiculous shoes" as I like to call my Bikilas and my Spyridons! I took one step further 3 months ago and bought vivobarefoot aqua-lites wich are even thinner than most VFFs to wear to work and everyday life, and although I've had muscle soreness in my foot for those full 3 months, my foot is thicker, firmer, with much thicker sole fat pads (I had none), and higher archers than EVER in my life! I can finally walk on concrete for hours with NO sole pain. All this cos I decided to apply Pete ramey's insight to my own 2 feet Wink
bornahorse

bornahorse is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »

Hello! I'm a horse lover too, just don't have one. Sad So I'm a bit jealous.
I have to admit, the first image that came to mind when I say the post title, was two pairs of vibram's on a horse's feet. XD With all the little toes sticking out too. ^^;
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: