BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 01, 2014, 04:18:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Five Finger Longevity--2 days or 2 years?  (Read 3723 times)
benjk

benjk is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »

Hey all, just hoping to get a quick answer. My wife and I are looking to each get a pair of VFFs in the next month or so. I'm completely sold on them except in one area. What is the average lifespan of a pair of VFFs? We wear Chacos quite often and enjoy the idea that we can send our sandals in to Chaco to get resoled (with a quality Vibram outsole I might add). Obviously this is impossible on VFFs. What are your experience with the soles of these shoes? Can I get a year or two of usage out of them? They will be used primarily for walking for a few months and then gradually worked into a running regimen. Thanks for your help!
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »

Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »

It depends. Quality control is non-existant right now. Check out the VFF defects thread. 

I would suggest the classic because the simplicity of the design cuts down of problems, like no fraying straps like on the KSO. Just be sure you get a non-too thin sole. Stitching is also a problem, but it easily fixed with a needle and thread.

KSos have strap fraying problems.

Treks have the problem of coming unglued, fraying straps, and possible tread separation.

We've owned a few pairs of KSo that have had bad stitching and fraying straps. Our classics have given us the least troubles and don't shoe wear after 5 months.

Get classics or maybe sprints.
Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »

I have a pair of sprints that I have beaten up on for three years and they still look nearly new.  I also have a pair of KSOs and classics.  My KSOs are a year old and have some slight fraying on the strap but there are lots of easy fixes for that.  My classics are only six months old and they are also still perfect.  I only wear five fingers so mine get a lot of work between walking and running everyday and in three pairs I have never had a problem so I recommend them. 

hippierunner

hippierunner is well known.hippierunner is well known.hippierunner is well known.hippierunner is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »

My classics have around 500miles ran on them and the soles show very little wear.  The fabric is the part that is starting to rip and develope holes.  I wear them on road and some pretty rough trails.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »

harrino

harrino is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »

Hi Benjk
I have a pair of KSO's that I use to run in - I have had them since August 09 and do approx 20- 25 miles a week in them and they look almost new - no defects , issues or noticeable signs of wear and tear . I have a pair of Treks which I have had since October and those I use to walk go to work , nothing remotely high impact or anything but I wear them probably 4 days out of every 7 andthey look brand new with zero wear on the sole and the uppers are in perfect nick.
Hope this helps
Harry

"Those are the coolest shoes I have ever seen - though I don't think my wife would let me wear them!!"
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »

I just wanted to point out that defect problems have been on the increase since about 6-8 months ago. VFFs bought before that generally fare well.
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »

500 run miles on my sprints.

RunningDan72

RunningDan72 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »

400+ miles (running) in my Treks the only things wrong with them is I got distracted and ran my foot under a cross member and tore the top a little MY foot shrunk quite a bit and the 46 that i used to be is too large so i went down to a 45, and the treads are a bit worn down (not totally though still in decent shape)

300+ in my old KSOs bottoms held up great but i dragged my toe a couple of times and the upper on my big toe vaporized...

I will be buying my Bilikas just as soon as they are available here and logging just as many miles as i can, I also run alot of miles with even less shoe *grin*
iain

iain is starting to look familiar.iain is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »

This was a question I had when I first brought a pair of KSOs last July! With the right factors, at least a years worth of use is possible, easily more as people here have said.

Unusually just my right KSO has the thin sole defect Hawkeye mentioned. I've used them daily for nine months,  including rubber burning parkour every week, and only the thin one is just about breaking through. How you run/walk makes a difference, any shuffling will increase wear. And yes I've had to take out my needle and thread to fix fabric tears.

The bottom line is the Vibram sole rubber is quality stuff but watch out for thin sole defects, that'll take a year or two off its lifetime.

"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." Woody Allen
morgan_4785

morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.

live free or die hard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »

my sprints have lasted wonderfully for over two years. theyre just now showing signs of wear.
-toes coming of the sole
-seams unfraying
-soles being worn thinner than a sheet of paper

over all, im extremely happy theve lasted this long. but its time to get a new pair.

KSO TREKS!!!!!! WOOOO!!

jesus Saves
Feet are the greatest piece of technology ever. guess who made them? God
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: