BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 20, 2014, 01:55:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How long? Transition or break in period? Tell us your story  (Read 10538 times)
dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:13:10 AM »

no transition period for me, went straight into my 2008 model KSO coming frmo regular shoes. Did have Vivo Barefoot shoes a few years before that (ditched those because they caused me serious health issues), no transition period for those either.
I've done a teacher training course in alexander Technique which I beleive is largely responsible for having been able to switch completely from day one without even sore muscles.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:13:10 AM »

klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »

My story is a bit different.
Iíve started barefooting in winter, as I was looking for a natural way to be more healthy (and not use doctors or buy drugs). Iíve started to go outside for few minutes barefoot, in very low temperatures and in the snow. This was a phenomenal sensation & Iíve loved it. Because of that, the whole winter I never got sick!

I was looking for some infos in the web about barefooting during the winter time, and this is how I got to know about the global barefoot movement (but mostly in US).
Then I was introduced to VFF, and huaraches. In fact, IIRC it was an invisible shoes owner youtube video about barefoot (well he was in his own huaraches) walking in snow, or cleaning snow of his drive way, that guided me to his site, where Iíve learned how to do huaraches.

So I did a pair of my own huaraches, started to run in them, but got a huge blooded blister on my left foot sole, and gave up running in them, in favour of simple barefoot running. But Iíve started to walk in then at work. Soon I was told to use some ĄregularĒ shoes. Following this, Iíve found birthdayshoes site and forum, and also Stem Footware, which is now called Lemings Footware (I have a pair of brown Lemings).

In the mean time, Iíve noticed that everybody was talking about the famous book - THE BOOK was called ĄBorn To RunĒ. So the only way was to buy a copy of that book (it is a very well written book, excellent to read, but not about barefooting).

Iíve started to run barefoot since the snow was already gone, and the temperature were way above freezing. Iíve started on asphalt, very slowly but again I got those stupid blooded blisters on my left foot (at that time, I didnít read Ken Bobs book, as I thought that it probably is another THE BOOK about everything but not barefooting - how wrong was I !!! + I just donít like to read books that are titled Ąstep by stepĒ... Ąstep by step into computingĒ, Ąstep by step into sexĒ, Ąstep by step into windsurfing/skating/skingĒ ... etc).

Since I work in different city, and have to drive everyday through beautiful forests, Iíve started to run in those forests (as break while I was driving home). Not a good idea that was! First run - 5km (feet and soles were OK), 2nd run - nearly 10km (pain in my right foot), there was no 3rd run for more then 3 weeks...

During whose 3 weeks I had plenty of time to think about barefoot running, and Iíve read a dozen of articles about this topic, so I was back on asphalt, running max. 2k a day, max 2-3 times a week (usually 1 to 2 times a week, as my soles often got blisters).

Boy, how I wanted to run again in those forests! So instead of running Iíve started to walk/hike barefoot - 10km, 15km, not too much & not too soon.

It took me some time, to get to a copy of Barefoot Ken book (this forum helped me a lot in that, as a regular paper copy is about 40$ including shipping to Europe. Now I know that I can order via Amazon UK, and have my shipping costs lowered to 0 as well).

And it was Ken Bobs book that helped me to rethink my form, avoiding those blisters on my left foot (by increasing my cadence!).

I do confess, that from time to time, I do run barefoot on other paths then hard, rocky asphalt - mainly in the woods. Just canít resist, but I do try to lower the distance to about 3.5-4km (this is not an easy task, since I just love running in the forest, barefoot in the Nature).

Iíve promised myself, that I will buy a copy of Ken Bob book, directly from his web store, because this is the least I can do to support him & to thank him for his work (including his book, as I just canít stand the layout of his web site - so vintage and unintuitive as well as untidy). But his knowledge about barefooting, and his book are phenomenal!   

So this is my story.

I do try to avoid wearing shoes, as often as it is possible (or wear only natural zero-drop-wide-toe-box shoes or flip-flops). Walking barefoot in my city is fun, since I can observe how people react to my bare feet :-) Most of them smile, point at my feet or do not care at all, which is great.
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »

I discovered VFF's and bought my first pair back in June of 2011.  I VERY quickly transitioned to being fully minimalist- by August 2011 at least.  Work and working out, I was 100% and proud.

I fell in love with running, and was always a short-distance kind of gal.  VFF's made me want to go FARTHER, and I very quickly and stupidly went from 3 miles to 4, 5, 6.. even 10 by Sept/Oct 2011.

In November 2011 on a 6ish mile run is where I believe I injured myself.  Feeling extra giddy after my run I jumped and did a twirl a few times and the last time I landed funny on my right foot.  For a couple weeks I had what I believed to be an inflamed tendon (a rubbing/grinding/rubbery feeling on the top of my foot/metatarsal area).  After that healed up (a week-week and a half in a walker boot/cushy shoes) I started running again, a handful more 6, 7 m runs with one or two 8, 10 milers.

I don't remember an exact instance of when my foot started hurting again, but it was after the new year, maybe around March/April of this year.  A deeper pain.  So I took an x-ray and compared it with one I took back in November.  Nothing definitive, and an ortho said he didn't see anything, but upon studying the image closely I believe I saw a possible stress fracture in my median cuboid.

So the past three weeks I've been in Asolo Hiking boots or a ROM walker boot nursing this thing. Transitioning backward I also got a pair of New Balance cross trainers to wear while doing Insanity (AMAZING).

It was starting to feel a lot better until today, ironically. I wore Stems earlier this week and today my Merrel pace gloves, and the other days I had on my cross trainers.  This morning my foot felt a little tweaky, just a slight pain, but all too familiar.  Off I went to my car to retrieve my boot and slapped it back on.  I haven't run in at least a month in a half, but I am so stubborn I will NOT stop insanity/working out. I have a feeling my foot will go on to feel fine later today and this weekend, but I just want to be extra cautious/safe and continue to baby it until I go at least a full week with no pain.  Even then, I'm restarting a transition as slow as I can and WILL backpedal if needed.

I do a ton of walking at work, so I guess I'll be back in my cushy shoes full time for another solid 1-2 weeks and keep on even after they feel good.  Man I miss my VFF's =( I worn them this past weekend with no pain but I guess I pushed it too far.

When I am ready to run again I will probably go to a running store and (GASP) get fitted for some regular running shoes.  Although I will try and get some that are very light and more flexible for LONG distances.  I hope to one day do regular SHORT runs in my Bikilas/Ls's, but I want to do a half and full marathon one day, even if that means wearing normal shoes.

I will ALWAYS love minimalist footwear and VFF's and be a huge advocate.

So the moral of the story (like many others here) is take it slow.  No, slower than that.  Even a bit slower. There you go.\

Sorry my story is a bummer.  Angry But foot pain sucks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:35:55 PM by Stefanie » Logged

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »

When I am ready to run again I will probably go to a running store and (GASP) get fitted for some regular running shoes.  Although I will try and get some that are very light and more flexible for LONG distances.  I hope to one day do regular SHORT runs in my Bikilas/Ls's, but I want to do a half and full marathon one day, even if that means wearing normal shoes.

I will ALWAYS love minimalist footwear and VFF's and be a huge advocate.

Before you go back to regular running shoes, why don't you try running barefoot, simply without shoes. There is a link here on this forum to Ken Bob book, why don't you read that book - I think, in that book there is an answer to your problem & it is not running in traditional shoes :-)

Take care
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »

chokesport

chokesport is a new face.

jiu jitsu freak

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

Honestly I transitioned right into em. The first day I had em we took my son to the aquarium and I walked over 4 miles in em. Then worked out in em that night. No soreness at all. Course I'm barefoot on the mat for hours at a time for bjj and Thai boxing. We also do barefoot jumprope drills to warm up so my bare feet get used alot even before I got my vibrams. I wear em everyday outside of work. So I guess I got lucky. Have KSO s and some komodosports otw. Prob gpnna get some bikilas for jogging then get another pair of komodos and kso s for working out and a pair for casual. 

Remember success is a journey,not a destination. Have faith in your ability.
Bruce Lee
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »

It took me about 4 months to be able to run 10km, 8 months for developing the right form that would create no pain anywhere, and no time for the walking part.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
wcurtin1962

wcurtin1962 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »

I'm a 50 year old truck driver. I'm obese by over 150 lbs. Also I was born with in turned  hips, and my left hip joint is 9MM higher then my right. I would tear out the outsides of my shoes. I listened to Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. That where I learned about foot gloves. I had ankle, hip and foot pain that kept me off of my feet. Also I had pain in my obliques when standing.

My first pair were Flia Skele Toes. I got them from a Dick's sporting goods in NY state. They did not have the socks so I wore the shoes bare foot for three weeks. I never did get the smell out! They were pretty comfortable despite not having any socks. But the stitch joints on top were a little rough, even later when I did get Injinji socks for them. After four months the fabric between the toes tore. I still have the shoes and use them as spares.

Being I'm off my feet most of the day I had little problems with break in. I was using a heel lift with my regular shoes. Also I bought two sizes larger because my feet and legs swell. After a few weeks all of the pains in my legs had stopped. After two months the front of my shins started aching. I kept off of my feet, cutting back my walking and the pain stopped after a couple of weeks.

My current pair are Vibram Komodosports. I bought them at The Front Runner in Columbus OH where I live. The lady started off with 44's and my feet were too wide for them. She got some 46's and I could put them on, but I was concerned because the Vibrams have such a sharp angle between the heel and the "toe box". But after putting then on a few times they have formed to my feet.

I'm trying to get in shape for over land hiking and long distance walking. I want to take a three month walking tour of the UK and Ireland. 
Elle

Elle is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 03:53:42 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum Smiley! Newbie here,too. Thank you for sharing your story. It is wonderful to hear that barefoot-shoes have done a lot for easing the pain in your ankle, knee and hip. Over the past months just small walking-distances in seeyas (no running) has done something similiar for the pain in my ankle from a 10 year old injury/ensuing operation. A walking tour through the UK and Ireland sounds absolutely lovely. Please, do post some pictures of your trip, if you like Smiley... That green and rocky wilderness over there is really beautiful.. I do hope the pain in your shins has not returned. It seems like scaling back and taking the transition slow was the right way to go.
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »

I'm trying to get in shape for over land hiking and long distance walking. I want to take a three month walking tour of the UK and Ireland. 
Prepare for it being wet here. There's a good reason why it's so green in these isles.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
wcurtin1962

wcurtin1962 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »

Thanks, I was planning on going Sept to Dec, I can handle cold better then heat! I just wish this flu would play itself out!
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »

Thanks, I was planning on going Sept to Dec, I can handle cold better than heat! I just wish this flu would play itself out!

Heat? What heat?  Cheesy

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
Dazzler82

Dazzler82 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »

Thanks for this info guys and girls.

I'm a newbie to the VFF and bought some KSOs after stubbling upon a pair of fila skeletoes and found the vff compared in a review. After reading the science and a few videos I was sold. I went out and did a couple of short runs in my Nikes on forefoot only and ended up with calve pain. A proper cool down sorted them out the second time put it was a full week with soreness after the first 30 min run.

I went out in the KSOs last night and did 15 mins. Had to walk down hill though, as I started to feel a twinge. I think I'll be doing this route over the next month or so in the KSOs and running some longer distances in some transitional shoes. Going to get a pair of Puma Future cat super lt which were uber comfy when I tried them earlier today. Thin enough to feel the ground on the fore and mid foot and soft cushion on the heel just incase.

Running in the KSOs though was AMAZING. I felt my form was better, more natural, like I had literally been set free. I felt faster, much faster, and didn't find myself short of breath. I hope to be doing a 10k in these by July.

This is what Im going to try over the next two month.

M - Off, T- VFF 15mins W - off Th - 30 mins Puma F - off S - off Su - VFF 15mins.

After this, I'm going to gradually up the distance in the vff over a monthly period and lose one of the runs in the Pumas. I think it's a pretty realistic target as I'm not a great runner, but I do enjoy it.

Wish me luck.
Lyonel

Lyonel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 07:50:04 AM »

I've done a teacher training course in alexander Technique...

Can you tell us more about this technique Dirk?

Bikila - Bikila LS (2x) - Bormio - Classic (2x) - Komodosport - Komodosport LS - KSO Trek (retired) - KSO Treksport - Trek LS (2x) - Seeya - Sorrento - Speed - Spyridon LS - KSO Remix - ElX

Adipure Lace Trainer-Original Luna ATS laces-LEMS Boulder Boot
dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »

no  Cool
Richard

Richard is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »

Yeah Dazz I'm also a newbie, only had my pair for 10 weeks. I'm 22 years old, 6ft and around 80kg (+-172 lbs). I'm by no means a long distance runner, I love sprinting, but I'm starting to do some longer distance runs for fun, I have a few friends who do that type of thing. In the beginning it was hell, but I'm up to 5.6km (I'm South African, that's 3.48 miles for any American readers) and it's feeling good. Still a lot of room for improvement, but it was not as hard to adapt as I thought it would be.

As far as tips/tricks go, I'm going to use some advice I saw somewhere on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who said it, but I find it helps me when my form is slipping). Imagine you're the wolf chasing Little Red Riding Hood, but you have to be as quiet and light footed as possible. Haha I think of that when I run and it helps a lot for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:36:08 PM by Richard » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: