BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 16, 2014, 12:22:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lower, inner shin pain and vffs  (Read 3729 times)
sarahc44

sarahc44 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »

I have developed a nagging pain in what seems to be the area of my right inner/lower part of my shin. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that, as a runner, I tend to overpronate and need to retrain my legs to run without the help of traditional running shoes... or because I'm not using the correct form when barefoot running. I know that I have to run in shorter strides and that I need to run at the forefront of my foot; but I feel like I may be missing another key part of this running form.

Do I rest, ice and stretch??
If I need to stretch more, what are the best stretches to target this problem area?

I am eager to hear back!

Thanks  Smiley
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »

kitoi

kitoi is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »

Sarah,
What you are describing is Posterior Tibial Stress Syndrome caused from the pronation. Loosing the protection and support from traditional shoes has stirred it up. You need to strengthen the posterior tibial muscle and tendon. The exercise I did to transition to barefoot was calf raises. You need to go slow in making the change to VFF, you don't want a bout of posterior tendonitis as it takes months to get over that ailment
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:50:36 PM by kitoi » Logged
delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »

How long have you been making the transition?

This video is with Eric Orton and will help you develop your form. The motions are very helpful and will help create muscle memory for your form.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XaYQwq6TnXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

Ah, good 'ol medial tibial stress syndrome - it's sidelined me for about 6 months now.  Sad  It's an overuse injury, and it can pop up when you remove the protection provided by traditional running shoes.  As with most overuse injuries, rest, ice, compression, and elevation are the best cures ("RICE").  But MTSS can be very resistant to treatment, as my case illustrates.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

sarahc44

sarahc44 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »

qCassidy: ... I'm really hoping that this doesn't become detrimental. I have recently implemented the RICE technique on myself to save my leg from serious injury... it's tough because I've been racing and staying off my legs is killing me! haha

Delucio: I got my first pair of fives in August of 2010. I ran in them a little here and there; but recently I have been running and cross training in them about 5-6 days a week. I'm thinking it could be an overuse issue. -- Thank you so much for the video, this is great! I'm eager to begin correcting this issue.

Kitkoi: this is a great video! I'm doing it in my office, haha. Thank you for the hasty response!
delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »

qCassidy: ... I'm really hoping that this doesn't become detrimental. I have recently implemented the RICE technique on myself to save my leg from serious injury... it's tough because I've been racing and staying off my legs is killing me! haha

Delucio: I got my first pair of fives in August of 2010. I ran in them a little here and there; but recently I have been running and cross training in them about 5-6 days a week. I'm thinking it could be an overuse issue. -- Thank you so much for the video, this is great! I'm eager to begin correcting this issue.

Kitkoi: this is a great video! I'm doing it in my office, haha. Thank you for the hasty response!

Your welcome. Yeah I hear ya about overuse injury. I have a slight strain in my soleus muscle (back of calf/deep muscle). Doing excercises like that helps me streatch it and use it with out over-using it.

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: