BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 24, 2014, 12:57:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to it all :)  (Read 707 times)
pacrunmama

pacrunmama is a new face.

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:00:29 AM »

I've had my VFF KomodoSport Ls for about 10 days now and I am really loving them! After 2 babies and on a whim, I decided to sign up for a half marathon that is at the end of March. I did run a marathon (and all the distances leading up to it in the training) way back before the babies, before I was even engaged! This is going to be a huge challenge for me, and I'm looking forward to it. I did C25K all summer long, but haven't done a whole lot in the last 2 months.

So that's me, now about my feet- I wear flipflops 99% of the time. If I'm not in those, I wear my uggs but that is rare and usually if it's snowing outside. Around the house I go barefoot- it usually drives me crazy to wear shoes if I don't have to. I actually only sought out the VFFs because I just moved to a small town and the only store that there is for running shoes (and for getting fitted in those shoes) didn't carry more than 2 brands, neither of which have a whide enough toebox for my Fred Flintsones. So we went to the outdoor store, tried them on and figured...what the heck? Why not?

I LOVE them. Seriously love them.

and the baby's up... more later about my first week in them! Smiley
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:00:29 AM »

pacrunmama

pacrunmama is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:11:36 AM »

K. So I walked around for the first few days. It's important to realize that I'm at the beginning of many journeys- these shoes, learning to run again, and weight loss goals (have lost about 40, 60 more to go!) I ran a mile in 15:45 and walked another mile or so. My calves were really tight for a few days after so I just walked and went barefoot. Well I went out again tonight, a week later, and ran a mile in 13:10!! I felt that I was going slower but my husband timed me and that was that! Not nearly as sore now.

I'd like to increase my mileage though. I was thinking of adding a lap at each run this week- that's .25 miles each time. Hoping to run 2 straight miles next weekend. Of course I'll listen to my body. Also I have a pair of nb sneakers I can always swap to. I have 21 weeks till the race. My main goal is just to finish although I'd love to beat 3 hours. My first half was 3:08, with 8 weeks less training.

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »

Definitely listen to your body.  But also make sure to keep the mileage increases very very low and use the sneakers more than the VFFs for the first month or two.  I only ran one day a week in my VFFs for the first two months, then added a day thereafter.  After seven months of transitioning, I was running in VFFs full-time.  That slow transition was worth it because I didn't get injured, unlike the first time I tried to transition to VFFs.  I did too many miles too soon and ended up being sidelined for two weeks.

Welcome to BirthdayShoes!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
FiveFingersForever

FiveFingersForever is a new face.

Its who we know we aren't that makes us who we are

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »

Definitely listen to your body.  That slow transition was worth it because I didn't get injured, unlike the first time I tried to transition to VFFs.  I did too many miles too soon and ended up being sidelined for two weeks.
\

Solid advice. Listen to your body and make a slow transition and you have officially set yourself up for success. It's so easy to overdo it when your body is feeling good (i'm guilty of it too, and I was also sidelined for several weeks and they've been miserable).

Spreading the gospel of toe shoes one person at a time.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: