BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 27, 2014, 08:07:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the Club!  (Read 1196 times)
Amphibious

Amphibious is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm proud to say I'm going straight from traditional shoes to a pair of Komodosport LSs. (Optimistic I know)
I naturally striked with my forefoot even with my pair of Nike's so I'm hoping the transition is going to be easier.

I just got the Komodosports around two days ago and have ran about a mile.
They feel fantastic and blows away my old shoes.

I still haven't gotten over the fact that they look weird in public. (Who knows, Maybe they'll grow on me)

Does anyone have any tips on how to effectively care and use my new VFFs? Thanks!

« on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »

Welcome!  Be careful, doing too much too soon (TMTS) can hurt you.  You might want to check out these links:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/new-barefoot-minimalist-runners-start-here

http://birthdayshoes.com/how-to-transition-to-running-in-vibram-five-fingers

Even if you have good form and a forefoot strike, if you haven't been running in zero drop shoes, you'll need to transition slowly and give your feet and legs a chance to get stronger.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
toh-shu

toh-shu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »

Congrats on your first pair of five fingers! I went right from traditional shoes and not being a runner at all to actually enjoying running and wearing vibrams almost all of the time. Watch out for TMTS. You should be able to tell when you are pushing it because something will get sore. There are so many warnings on TMTS it should be taken seriously. Start off running short distances until you solidly get the form and feel down before you really start working on increasing distance. You will usually know when it clicks and you are getting your own solid mid foot strike down.

To help the transition go better start wearing them around everywhere in place of normal shoes. Even though you are not running it still works the muscles in your feet and legs and weens you off of that cushioning. Plus it feels really cool! Dont worry about them looking weird in public, they dont and its really not as bad as you think. I have only had two people tell me they think they look freaky, and one of them was my good friend's girlfriend and the other was a girl in one of my classes. I have gotten way way more compliments on them then any negative comments. Pretty soon you will wear them enough and start to love them so much you will be proud to wear them everywhere and you will love to show them off.

Once you start wearing them around all of the time it is inevitable that they will get dirty and stinky, a good run through the wash once a week will keep them pretty fresh. If the stink continues a popular solution in soaking them in efferdent tablets for an hour and scrubbing the foot bed clean.

My VFFs: Black/Grey TrekSports (Torn and fixed sort of.  Sad), Grey/palm KSOs, White/Grey/Red Bikilas, Brown/Black Spyridon LS, White/Black Speeds

NB MT10
Amphibious

Amphibious is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »

Thanks for all the advice! I plan to take it slow and to "listen" to my body. I've been seeing a lot of people wearing them around my part of the neighborhood, so that'll help.

Do you wear your Vibrams with or without socks?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »

Koala3

Koala3 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »

I prefer without but depending on the weather some original weight or light weight Injinji socks go in. Not sure if you have smelly feet or not, if so I'd say at least some thin socks to absorb the smelly. Something about VFFs that will morph bad smells into something that is probably illegal in the lower 48.
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »

No socks ever for me (except running in winter), alcohol spray for smell bacteria occasionally (mine never smell but I know it's useful for some people), scrub with oxyclean gel/baking soda and machine wash when dirty, and you'll get used to the look of them, you will even eventually LOVE how they look and as Toh-Shu says you'll be proud to wear them. It makes more sense that a foot should look like a foot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:06:02 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple,EVO WP
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
jennyd580

jennyd580 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »

Hello. I'm not sure where i go to post a message. new to this. So i used this one. sorry. I was hoping to find out more information regarding this type of shoe. I am a registered nurse and was curious to know if there are other nurses or a vibramfinger shoe seasoned person who may recommend what type shoe to purchase for this type job or if they recommend them. I met a sitter at the hospital and she recommended them. The info would be appreciated!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »

I do not wear socks with any of my Vibrams.  

There are a lot of threads about de-funking the shoes.  I recently washed a pair of classics that were getting grimy and smelly.  I touch a grout cleaning brush and scrubbed the foot bed with Dawn dish soap.  I then rinse all the dish soap off and threw them in the washing machine with a load of similarly colored clothes.  The shoes came out in like-new condition.  No odor and no discoloration or dirtiness on the foot bed.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:39:37 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »

If I am feeling like I don't want any extra "padding" in my VFFs and it's warm out, I'll go sockless.
I do not prefer one way over the other, though.  Sometimes it's an aesthetic thing (like if I'm wearing Jaya's with shorts/shorter pants). Just depends what I feel like.

Socks can help keep stink at bay if wearing for extended hours, but as long as you let them air out in between wearings and stay on top of the stink- tossing them in the washing machine or in a bucket/sink with some efferdent tabs/hot water you'll be okay.  Just remember to always let them air dry.

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »

Jenny, many of the Fivefingers would work for your job, it mostly has to do with personal preference what you are going to choose. Browse the vibramfivefingers.com website for all the styles, the Classics and Sprints come in a larger variety of colors on other websites that you can find in the "Buy" section of our site here, others are hanigs.com and birkenstocksd.com. Try to find a store that sells them in your area and go try on all the styles and see what you like most. If it were me I would go for either Classics, Sprints, Jayas, Komodosports, KSO's, maybe Speeds. Let us know what you choose!

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple,EVO WP
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
jennyd580

jennyd580 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: