BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 23, 2014, 10:23:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to VFF's, but already ran my 1st ultra in them!  (Read 909 times)
ultrarunner100

ultrarunner100 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

Hi;
I just started wearing the VFF Bikila LS a couple of weeks ago, and at first was taking it easy in them, not running more than a few miles. But when I started feeling really comfortable, my calves weren't hurting, and my feet feel great, I started going on longer runs in the VFF's. My longest run was 10K on asphalt and concrete. I really started to hate every other shoe I owned, and began running more often in the Bikilas.
Then, with the opportunity to run a 50K (actually it's 54K) ultra on stone dust, dirt, and asphalt in Van Cortlandt park, The Bronx, NYC on Saturday Nov 5, I decided to give it a go.
I brought a regular pair of shoes with me, and stashed them while I ran in the VFF's.
I had no problems at all; as a matter of fact, I felt really good. Only during my last 10K did I begin to develop a hot spot on my right big toe, but it didn't bother me enough to warrant changing into the regular shoes.

So, I have run a total of 88 miles in my VFF Bikila LS, and am loving every minute of it. I have already run through snow (the Oct 29-30 snowstorm in NJ), with only sand (the beach) remaining to be explored.
I have always been a flat-footed, over-pronator, so I never thought I could adjust to minimalist running so easily. What really gave me the inspiration to try VFF's was Christopher McDougall's "Born to Run", although he seems to be more of a totally barefoot advocate. I think that the VFF's are the best thing that ever happened to my feet!

FW
BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

Dexter_Morgan23

Dexter_Morgan23 is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »

Well Given your time frame, I am utterly suprised! congrats! but watch out for TMTS

Proud owner of my first pair of Red Remix KSOs as of 08/12/11 at 12:13 pm Cheesy
Leming Natural Origins, Invisible shoes 6mm and 4mm, Altra Adam, Altra Samson (March 5thish), Newton MV2, Aguias Spartan 1
www.minimalistandlovingit.blogspot.com
www.barefootfarm.org Support the Tarahumara
FiveFingersForever

FiveFingersForever is a new face.

Its who we know we aren't that makes us who we are

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »

Thats fantastic you adjusted so quickly, congratulations! I hope to be able to work up to such long runs one day. Keep it up!

Spreading the gospel of toe shoes one person at a time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: