BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 08:58:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have experience buy VFF's through the mail?  (Read 2204 times)
Erin.S

Erin.S is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I live in New Zealand and to the best of my and Google's knowledge, no one sells Five Fingers here. Does anyone have any experience with buying VFF's through the mail? I know fit is a prime concern when getting these shoes. I'd be really concerned about getting a pair that work well for me.

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Erin
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:19:14 AM by Erin.S » Logged
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

SlowLizzie

SlowLizzie is a new face.

Thankful for my happy feet!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »

The size chart and measuring my foot against the wall thing worked perfectly for me. I was exactly between sizes (39 and 40) and was told by VFF vets to go to a 40 and it worked fine (again, for my case).
iamcam

iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.

Jesus wore huaraches.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:28:21 AM »

Justin has like 3 pairs and he's ordered them all online, so he'd be a good one to talk to.

I am Cam

go barefoot... everything else is just holding you back.

I miss 100% of the shots I don't take.
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 01:50:28 AM »

Most people buy their shoes online because few retailers carry. My advice to you is to order two different sizes, if you choosing between 41 and 42 order both at the same time and save on shipping. Then you can sell the pair that doesn't fit you or return them, but it's probably a better idea to sell them.

P.S. What kind of VFFS were you interested in? KSOs, fit differently from classics. Let us know what you're interested in and people on the board can help you decide.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 01:50:28 AM »

koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 08:50:18 AM »

Hi Erin. I have purchased 6 pair through the mail , four pair for me, one for my sister in law and one for my future son in law. We haven't had a problem yet. Use the sizing chart and if the size looks exact order them. If the size is between two sizes or one of you feet is slightly larger, go with the larger size. If one foot is a 38 and one is a 47 you might have a problem. Kevin

*I'm barefoot for skeletel correctness*
kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »

Not be repetitious, but I too have bought through the mail, and have been pleased with the results. I used the sizing chart on the Vibram Fivefingers site, and ordered my KSOs from FastTrax, a running shop in Edmonton, Canada. If I were U.S.-based, I expect I would have placed my order through KayakShed, as others in these forums recommended it.

Sizing can be an issue, as has been noted.

Alan (whose feet are the same size)

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
Jambo

Jambo is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »

I'm in the same boat, I'm in the UK but a part where my only option is to order VFF's online. I only have two pairs of classic's, but the Vibram sizing chart worked perfectly for me.

I want to get a pair of KSO's, but I have quite a high instep and I'm afraid they won't fit...
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »

There's always a risk to mail-ordering, but it definitely can be done. 

My feet are 10 and 7/8s inches long, which puts me squarely between sizes.  As it goes, I went with the size down for the Classics and Sprints, which is about as snug as it can be in the toes and a size "up" in the KSOs, which really is just to say that all my pairs are 43s at the moment.

What is the length of your foot?  Are you between sizes or close to one or the other?  If you're close, then you're very likely to have good luck online.  If you're between, sizing up should be ok.

But I'm sure it's a bit anxiety-inducing to order by mail from NZ!

desaulniers

desaulniers is a regular 'round here.desaulniers is a regular 'round here.desaulniers is a regular 'round here.

I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

I actually found that I was more honest with myself when I ordered my VFFs from the website. After I placed my order I found that I had a local store that carried them so I went in to try them on while I waited for mine to arrive. I ordered exactly what the sizing chart online said I needed, but when I was in the store I thought I needed one size larger so I purchased a pair there as well. At the time I was used to wearing Vans classic slip-ons that were a little loose on my feet, so when I tried on the size larger than what the sizing chart recommended I thought that was what was most comfortable. Once I got home though, and the other pair arrived by mail, I realized the sizing chart was dead on and the ones I thought fit in the store were actually rubbing my foot because they were slightly too large.

RobbieD

RobbieD is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »

Hi Fellow VFFers,

Ditto, I purchased got my 2 pairs through ebay so in effect that also is online, My first pair was a black pair of KSO's and my largest foot was 10.50 so that would have been a 42 but as per the sizing chart I went with a 41 and they fitted perfectly.
My only problem was when I bought a pair of sprints which should have been a 42 these were too big (Both in Length and strap length over my arch) so I exchanged them through a nice member on here for another pair of KSO's size 41.

I am now hopefully getting a pair of Sprints in a size 41 but feel I may need a 40, when the 41 sprints turn up I will let people know how they compare to the 42's.

I am also in the UK and in a rural location, so our best option is to try and buy through ebay - like I do as this saves money on the inflated retail prices here.
(Just means waiting until the correct size appears!)

Robert.
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »

I want to get a pair of KSO's, but I have quite a high instep and I'm afraid they won't fit...

I too have a very high instep. I bought my KSOs online, according to the VFF sizing chart. While they're snug, they aren't too tight.

Alan

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »

Jsut be careful of what color KSO you buy. The black ones are tighter than the grey/green ones for people with high insteps. So get the grey/green KSOs and you should be fine.
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »

Jsut be careful of what color KSO you buy. The black ones are tighter than the grey/green ones for people with high insteps. So get the grey/green KSOs and you should be fine.

I'm not sure we can say with certainty that *all* black KSOs are tighter than *all* grey/green KSOs.  Suffice to say that there is variability in the KSO covering, which can make tightness different from pair to pair and color to color. 

I think you're better served with the understanding that, if your feet stray from the average -- higher insteps, arches, morton's toe, crooked toes, bunions, etc., the more important it is to try on the pair you want to buy (conversely, the more difficult it is to order online).

Erin.S

Erin.S is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »

I'm definitely interested in the KSOs. I'm interested in trail running and like the idea of keeping stuff out of my shoes. Smiley
Quijibo

Quijibo is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »

I had the same problem. I have high, wide feet. I ordered 2 pairs of black KSO's, 41's per VFF website, and 42's. Neither fit me. The 42's were close, but the strap only overlapped the velcro by about 1" (2-3cm) and the fabric across the top was very stretched. I plan to try a Grey pair if I can find some locally.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." ~Qui-Gon Jinn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: