BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:43:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the colors shown online accurate?  (Read 2432 times)
hkward001

hkward001 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »

I am looking at the stormy sea womens classics. I love the way they look in the picture on Vibrams website but on the one website I found that has them in stock in my size they have additional images that look different. They are still gray but not as awesome looking.
Click additional views.
http://www.theshoemart.com/vibram-fivefingers-womens-classic-stormy-sea-agate-silver/pvc-fiv-wxs-w1056_fiv_f_classic.html
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »

Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »

My own experience has been, no, not really.  My Treks are a much darker brown than they look online, and my Agate KSOs are a much lighter, brighter aqua than they look on the Vibram site.  Not having seen the stormy seas in person, my suspicion is that the light blue bits are brighter than in the picture, but it's hard to say, and I have no idea how accurate the grays are.

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
Sytera

Sytera is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:24:04 AM »

Oh no.  I just added these to my cart on a different site but now I'm not sure.  I don't really like the lighter colors in the other views.  Hopefully someone who owns them will chime in gefore I spend my money.
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »

The colors are as accurate as the sizing. LOL  Wink
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »

sailorwind

sailorwind is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »

If the agate/slate KSO's are anything to judge by then NO, the pictures are not accurate.  I though the agate/slate KSO's looked hideous both online and in the catalogue they showed me at REI.  However, when I decided to take the plunge and went to Hudson Trail Outfitters, the only colors they had were black and the agate/slate.  I had a viscerally bad reaction to the way the black mesh looked on my foot with the KSO's so I sighed and saida I guess I'd take a look at the agate/slate ones.  They're gorgeous.  The colors are much more muted/less garish than in any of the pictures I'd seen and the "camo" bottoms looked more like a watercolor painting.  I think they're gorgeous, though they admittedly don't go with too many outfits and I want to wear my Vibrams out and about on the town, so I'm thinking of also getting a pair of black sprints.  They don't have that mesh part so I think they look a lot better.  I have what I think is a decent picture color-wise on my cell phone which I uplaoded to FB, but I'm not sure how I'd get it on this forum...
zarzu

zarzu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »

like all products vffs are well lighted for product pictures and touched with photoshop to bring out the color in the best way. a great example for this is the blue sky/yellow bikila where there are these amazingly lighted production pictures but the actual product's colors are far blander. to be sure about the color either buy them locally or search for as many pictures and videos as possible and see how they look in different lighting.

"first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »

I have what I think is a decent picture color-wise on my cell phone which I uplaoded to FB, but I'm not sure how I'd get it on this forum...

If you have the link to the picture on FB (it should end in .jpg), you can post it here.  Just paste in the URL, highlight it, then click the little picture button (third from left, bottom row). 

pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »

The biggest color difference I have noticed is the women's Performa.  On the website, the Coral looks more like a nice red.  In reality.. they are CORAL.  In that ugly-1980's-grandparent's-Floridian-home kind of coral.  Coral is NOT a good color on anyone unless you are very tan or dark skinned.  I am ghost white and they looked TERRIBLE.

Did a quick Photoshop of website vs reality:

vffs: classic, performa jane, sprint, jaya, kso, kso treksport
non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
sailorwind

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »

Thanks, Rana, let's see if this works.  I tried linking it two different ways.  I used to be a master at this type of bracketing to post stuff but then the forum I frequented and did stuff like this daily on got taken down a few years back.  I clicked on the insert image button and saw the tags and it was like greeting a long lost friend.

It's not showing up for me.  Not sure it's going to work.  Don't have the energy to try and figureo ut my old photobucket login, save the picture to desktop, upload it again to photobucket, and then insert it here.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:51:14 PM by sailorwind » Logged
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »

If you want to give it another try, load up your photo in FB, then right-click (control-click on Mac) to open the image in a new window or tab.  You should end up with a URL that ends in .jpg, which is what you need to use the image codes here.

hkward001

hkward001 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »

The look of the alternate pictures from that website have grown on me. I still want them. It would be awesome to see the pic of yours if you can figure out how to upload it.
theshoemart.com

theshoemart.com is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »

I have 1 more pair in stock, so I grabbed it to take a look.  From what I can tell, the manufacturer's picture is a little dark.  On my site I have multiple angle shots.  This one below best displays the item's color:

I hope this helps! We try to do our best with the color representation, but it is challenging for sure...

-Dan

My Favorite Shoes:
Vibram Five Fingers, Inov8
sailorwind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »

Wow, I'm so sorry.  I just realized I never did re-post my picture from another site.  I can only plead crazy forgetfulness as I am moving halfway across the country to a place I've never even seen in two weeks for work and have been running around trying to get this move under control.  Here's the photo.  It's a little dark, but to me it appears to be a more true color representation than on the website.

Zephyr

Zephyr is starting to look familiar.Zephyr is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »

The biggest color difference I have noticed is the women's Performa.  On the website, the Coral looks more like a nice red.  In reality.. they are CORAL.  In that ugly-1980's-grandparent's-Floridian-home kind of coral.  Coral is NOT a good color on anyone unless you are very tan or dark skinned.  I am ghost white and they looked TERRIBLE.
Did a quick Photoshop of website vs reality:

I have to object on your comment on coral, red coral color is not "that ugly-1980's-grandparent's-Floridian-home kind of coral". Red coral has been around for quite some time (thousands of years), it isn't a fashionable color that only lasts a couple of seasons. The 1980's don't have the exclusiveness of that tone, nor your grandparents' Floridian home. You may dislike it but isn't an old-fashioned color at all, jewelry made of coral are as old as our civilization. In any case, there was a violet option also available if you were looking for something darker.
As for the need of a very tan or dark skinned to wear those, as you said before you're a poor reference since you're in an extreme of the population variability, ghost white. Most people show some pigmentation in their skin. You don't need to be very tan to have some color in your skin, most people don't need exposure to sunlight to have some pigmentation in your skin. Their skin is darker than yours but from white to dark skinned there's an ocean of intermediated gradations. Actually,  white skinned is very infrequent in the world, they are of Caucasian ancestry, but not even the majority of those with Caucasian origin, a few hundred million among 7 thousand million people, probably less than 5%.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:04:10 PM by Zephyr » Logged
Bushrod

Bushrod is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »

Eight months later...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: