BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 24, 2014, 12:57:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bormio & Trek LS Sizing?  (Read 1435 times)
armadillo76

armadillo76 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »

I'm a size 41 in the KSO Trek and regular KSO with toe socks. I'm thinking of getting a pair of the Bormio boots and/or the Trek LS while I still can. How does the sizing go on those? Also, how does the lacing affect the fit? I want to use this as general purpose, daily work footware and the Bormio boots for cooler weather alternative.
I have tried the KSO in 42 but they felt too big, especially in the big toe (catching as I walked) and too large in the small toe.
Really waiting to see what Vibram does with an insulated version in the Fall 2012 model as it gets cold in New Hampshire despite it being such a mild winter this past one.
Thanks, AndyB, NH.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »

barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »

I believe there are other threads relating to this if you search.  For me, I'm the same size in KSO, Trek's, Trek LS, and my Bormio's.  The Speed's and Komodo's are the only ones I've had to up size with and I've worn Injinji's in all of them at some point.

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
armadillo76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »

I did check out others and I guess the consensus is that the size I am in a KSO is what I should be in a Bormio. Ordered a pair in tan (whiskey whatever) from Vibram direct. Really wanted black but nothing anywhere in 41 now.
I'm still not sure how the Trek LS will go only because the only pair of lace ups I tried on in a store didn't feel right. They may have just been a style I needed to go a different size in though. I may splurge on a pair of the Trek LS in 41 soon anyway since they are discontinued or soon to be in the US. Also the more sneaker-like look around the ankle has me wondering if I'll have having rubbing.
We'll see! Thanks, AndyB, NH.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
UberC5

UberC5 is a new face.

I hunt with a Subaru...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

My KSO Treks are M41, I wear a M42 in both pairs of Bormio and my Trek LS.  One pair of Bormio I cannot wear socks in.  Too tight, almost too tight barefoot, but they stretched a little.  The other Bormio, my Trek LS, and my KSO Treks I can wear any of my Injinji's in.  When I got my KSO Trek, they were almost too tight in M41, but they have loosened the most of any pair I own, now feeling looser then the M42 Bormio that I can wear the socks in.

I bowl overhand

Current VFF's: Syridon LS (Military Green/Grey/Black) M42, Speed (Black/White) M42, 2 pair of Bormio (Whiskey Crazyhorse) M42, Trek LS (Whiskey Crazyhorse) M42, KSO Trek (Brown) M41, KSO (Blue Camo) M41
Non VFF:  NB Minimus Trail MultiSport EU44
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

armadillo76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »

And your toes (lengthwise) are fine in the M42 Bormios? Ugh. Well, I can always return and exchange them if that is the case. Hopefully I'll have them shortly and will know. I've read that using product (saddle soap, mink oil, etc) can help them loosen up and some have said getting a size larger than normal, the Bormios really stretched out too much. We'll see if my mileage varies or not.
Thanks. I just wish the sizing could be a little more sure. I guess with normal shoes/boots it's easier to have a little variation and not have it be noticeable since it doesn't really matter as long as it fits your longest toe.
AndyB, NH.
PS Hunting with a Subaru and bowling overhand? hehe.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
UberC5

UberC5 is a new face.

I hunt with a Subaru...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 04:27:37 AM »

And your toes (lengthwise) are fine in the M42 Bormios? Ugh. Well, I can always return and exchange them if that is the case. Hopefully I'll have them shortly and will know. I've read that using product (saddle soap, mink oil, etc) can help them loosen up and some have said getting a size larger than normal, the Bormios really stretched out too much. We'll see if my mileage varies or not.
Thanks. I just wish the sizing could be a little more sure. I guess with normal shoes/boots it's easier to have a little variation and not have it be noticeable since it doesn't really matter as long as it fits your longest toe.
AndyB, NH.
PS Hunting with a Subaru and bowling overhand? hehe.
My first pair of Bormio I used Liquid AquaSeal on, they are the ones that loosened up very nicely.  My second pair I did the same, but did not have the same success.  I can wear them barefoot and they don't cause any pain, so they turned out alright.  Maybe over time they will continue to loosen.  They are fine length wise, it is the tightness over the instep that is the killer.  The other VFF's all have much more flexible materials across the top of you foot, but not Bormio.  My feet are pretty wide and my instep is fairly tall.  You may not have the same issues if you normally are in a standard width shoe.

2 deer, 3 miles apart, same trip....

I bowl overhand

Current VFF's: Syridon LS (Military Green/Grey/Black) M42, Speed (Black/White) M42, 2 pair of Bormio (Whiskey Crazyhorse) M42, Trek LS (Whiskey Crazyhorse) M42, KSO Trek (Brown) M41, KSO (Blue Camo) M41
Non VFF:  NB Minimus Trail MultiSport EU44
Deverica Wolf

Deverica Wolf is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »

Can anyone help me? Today, I tried on KomodoSports and KomodoSports LS. I found both to be quite nice at 41 inches. They didn't have 40s to try on which would have been nice, though, the 41s I believe were right for me as my big toe was almost hitting the tip and I want to wear socks. I preferred the tight bottom strap on the KS, but the top strap of the KS hurt me so I feel the KSLS are the best choice for me despite the non-tight heel. I liked them better.

Anyway, I want to buy a Trek LS for casual-wear and hiking, not sure what color. According to the size chart, I am a 42 in both the KomodoSport LS and Trek LS, because my left toe is just above 10 1/2 inches and I must round up to 10 3/4 inches. But as I said, I ended up taking a 41 in the KSLS. It was the best size for cardio, I felt. No store around Providence, Rhode Island carries the Trek LS (or the Bormio) so I must order online. Ouch.  Shocked

So, being a 41 in the KomodoSports LS, what size Trek LS would be right for me? I am very confused as I know VFFs run differently from one another. I plan on wearing these around the city and hiking in them with perhaps some light running on dirt. I like a snug, comfortable, warm feel and I plan on wearing Vibram's socks with them too. I normally wear my shoes and boots in size 8 and Wide Width. I only tried on the KomodoSport models as I think I was bugging the man helping me too much by trying on every size lol.  Grin

Does anyone have a suggestion of size for the Trek LS?  Huh
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:49:58 PM by Deverica Wolf » Logged
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

Can anyone help me? Today, I tried on KomodoSports and KomodoSports LS. I found both to be quite nice at 41 iches.

41 inches? Are you enjoying your job at the circus?  Cheesy

The Trek soles often fit looser for the same numbered size (ie. you might want the next size down) than for KSO or similar. Komodos and Speeds fit fairly tight for the same numbered size.

VFF: M46: KSO (Four colours), Trek (Brwn)x2, Trek LS (Bk), Treksport (Bk/Bk, Orange/Bk), KMDSport (Bk/Silver), EL-X (Bk),
     Flow (Bk), Signa, Speed (B/W), Sprint (Wht/Blue, fake?), KSO EVO (Bk); M47: Speed (B/W), Classic (Gry/Grn, too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove (Bk), 47 VB Synth Hiker
Deverica Wolf

Deverica Wolf is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »

41 inches? Are you enjoying your job at the circus?  Cheesy

That's what happens when you have a hard day, going to a store you've never been to, in a part of the city you've never been in. I loled!  Cheesy

The Trek soles often fit looser for the same numbered size (ie. you might want the next size down) than for KSO or similar. Komodos and Speeds fit fairly tight for the same numbered size.

So, a 40 Trek LS for snug, a 41 Trek LS for loose. Is there any benefit of a loose fit for a casual shoe like that? For my Komodos, snug is good because I am gonna lift weights, jog, and do hardcore cardio. But for the Trek I'll be walking, hiking, little running...could the looser fit be more comfortable for farting around? With socks on, mind you.

Would like to know 'cause I want to order tomorrow. Thank you so much for your advice.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:04:36 PM by Deverica Wolf » Logged
armadillo76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »

I'm going to have to dig out my Komodosports in 41 (which felt too tight but I forgot the back has an adjustment velcro, unlike the KSO). But, My KSO Treks (the ones with kangaroo uppers), KSO and now Trek LS, all in 41 with the thin coolmax Injinji socks fit well. The Trek LS being a different sort of leather is tighter and more work to get into (as are the Bormios) but I think they will stretch out. I got the whiskey color in both of those and my boss sees them and says "Now you really have monkey feet!" I guess wearing my black KSO Treks make me look like I have bear feet? The Bormios are the only ones I'm not sure about fit wise but have worn them the least (been too warm in NH lately for them). I think going to a 42 in any of them would have been a mistake. I tried 42 KSO and felt like I was going to trip over the extra bit in my big toe and lose my little toe. And that was just walking around the store.
As an aside I also got a pair of Flows in 41 and fit those barefoot (as I would wear them kayaking or whatever). Very odd feel, thicker sole than I expected (but not bad) and took the longest for me to get into of all of them, even including the first time I tried on KSO Treks At Eastern mountain Sports (took like a minute each foot and I knew they would be right for me).
The Trek LS and Bormios being discontinued are getting to be very hard to find in common sizes (I ended up getting them online at GSS Gear and those folks were great!). I wish there were more stores in my area stocking them and stocking more types but they have to stock what will sell and what fits their clientele.
Just my 2 cents as an obsessive person. Once I find something I like I want more of them (which explains how I once had 13 vintage dirt bikes and 7 were the same model!). AndyB, NH.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »

Once I find something I like I want more of them (which explains how I once had 13 vintage dirt bikes and 7 were the same model!). AndyB, NH.

I am kind of that way with some things.  I buy my replacement item well before my original is worn out.  I also stick with what I know I like.  I have 11 pair of VFFS, and of those 11 pair, 8 are Classics. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
UnCorked

UnCorked is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:20:20 PM »

I'm a size 41 in the KSO Trek and regular KSO with toe socks. I'm thinking of getting a pair of the Bormio boots and/or the Trek LS while I still can. How does the sizing go on those? Also, how does the lacing affect the fit? I want to use this as general purpose, daily work footware and the Bormio boots for cooler weather alternative.
I have tried the KSO in 42 but they felt too big, especially in the big toe (catching as I walked) and too large in the small toe.

I am right there with ya, Andy. I wear a black KSO Trek size 41 w/ toe socks or w/o and they are they most comfortable shoe in the world. I golf in them. I run in them. I could sleep in them but at this point they smell gross and would probably wake me. So, I special ordered a pair of Trek LS size 41 from EMS and went to try them on tonight. I was so excited. First of all, they feel much different, much less comfort and tighter which is due to the thicker sole, laces and stiffer material. Obviously they are not broken in yet so I expect they will stretch a little.  Everything fit well except my big toes were pushing up against the front and felt cramped. I need an extra 1/4 inch but not sure if the size up would be too large. I held off for now and ordered the size 42 to see if they fit perfect which I am hoping they do. I also ordered the Bormio in a 41 and the brown KSO Trek in a 41 to compare all three. We shall see.  Undecided

Jeff
armadillo76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:16:26 AM »

Currently the Trek LS (brown or black, two tone would have been nice) are my most worn VFF. Next is the kangaroo KSO Trek. I treated them with NikWax and found that made the fit a bit better. For some reason I think the ones I did on a sunny day and dried in the sun came out better than the ones I had to stick in front of the dehumidifier. Could be my brain fooling with me though (it does that).
You can still order the Trek LS?! I thought they were discontinued in the US. I've gotten mine online in some clearance deals and on eBay (not fakes, from a real shop I forget the name in Michigan?). No idea why they discontinued them. I like that they don't scream crazy colors but people still notice my toes, just a little more camouflaged.
Oh, and for some reason I feel like the leather VFF stink much less or take longer to stink than the synthetic ones. YMMV, AndyB, NH.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: