BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 21, 2014, 04:54:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Do these fit right?  (Read 2869 times)
canjockey

canjockey is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »

I need some help. Just got my Bikilas in the mail. The right foot fits like a glove. The left foot fits like a tight glove.

If someone is willing, please PM me and I'll send you my phone number so maybe we could walk through if it fits correctly.

Thanks.
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »

Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »

ask these questions instead...do your toes uncomfortably bump the end of the toe pockets?  does the tightness seem to cut off circulation?  if the answer is yes then you may need the next size up.  if no then you need to break them in.  i know it's a crazy and foreign thought for vffs but my findings are that these shoes are meant to mold to your foot.  the insole that was such a huge topic of debate as molded to fit my foot.  the upper was crazy tight when i got mine and left a mark in the skin like the strap from a classic.  it did that for two days and now they fit my feet like a very nice and comfortable glove.  i think these things are on purpose and i wish vibram had given some kind of directions on sizing and fit but mine stretched out and are now wonderful. 

noahf

noahf is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »

I just got my bikilas - same size as KSOs and they are very tight. I think I need to take em for a run to find out.

I am SOOO torn about what to do. On the one hand they are snug as a glove. I couldnt wear socks with these if I wanted too.

One the other - they are kinda tad nice this snug. Going up a size might be a big mistake.

Not sure.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:11:04 PM by noahf » Logged
canjockey

canjockey is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »

The way they currently fit: there is no room to bump or rub inside the shoe. When I've been sized (and I'll admit I  could have been sized wrong) there has always been room to grow, usually around 1/4" to 1/2" at the back of the heel—clerk said it was normal. I was sized between a 40 and a 41.

There is no room to grow. It fits like a running sock. There isn't anything loose hanging off. Toes to heel are tight. These look like a green addition to my foot. Is this what I should expect? These are my first Vibram's. I don't want to do anything to screw up my first experience.

I don't know what I should do. Should I keep wearing them to see if they stretch out? Will they stretch out? Do they have the potential too?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »

Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »

I don't know about the Bikilas specifically, but VFFs are supposed to fit like gloves, not like other shoes which need a bit more wiggle room.  Basically, you don't want to feel cramped, but you also don't want your foot able to slide around in them, because that causes blisters.  Unless you're still growing (that is, an adolescent) there's no reason to buy VFFs "to grow into."  It sounds to me like you have the right size... but hopefully some folks who've tried the Bikilas will chime in too.

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
canjockey

canjockey is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »

The sizing guide says that it shouldn't be pressing against the end of any toe pockets and I can feel that it is. But like someone else posted: what is too much room? Don't want to cause blisters.
funE_man

funE_man is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:25 PM »

I am a 41 in KSOs and that fits extremely snug but not uncomfortably so.  I am able to slide Injinjis in my KSO's(very surprised by this) but it's extremely uncomfotable as my last 3 toes are very short so the socks bunch at the base of each toe and the pressure from the toe pockets on the shoe just doesn't work. When my size 41 Bikilas arrived my toes were super cramped.  Infact my little toes which have excess room in my KSOs seemed to be a lot closer to the end of the toe pockets so I sized up to the 42.  I've seen a lot people with different ideas about the Bikilas some folks said they ran larger while a number of others felt they ran small and  sized up and this seems to be the case a lot in the Blue/Gold more so than the Grey/Red Bikilas.

Headed to VFF Rehab with Danny" I'm gettin too old for this Sh!t" Glover
Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.Jimmy Hart is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:44 AM »

i spent a good hour or so at my local running store chatting with their guys about just this topic.  the foot they use at the store is weird and everyone there including myself felt it was misleading.  i think it's a good place to start the sizing process but not a good final say. 

as rana said you want them snug.  early on in five finger history they said to get them loose with about a half inch of space in the heel.  this was because both the classic and the sprint are adjusted in the rear so it gave the wearer room to decided who to tighten them down.  i disagree with that and i think vibram needs to redo the sizing chart because of it. 

when i size someone i make sure their toes are near the end or the toe pocket with the heel fitting the actual heel.  i try to get as little space between the shoe and the length of the foot as possible.  this is because you dont want your foot sliding around in these things.  you want these shoes to feel like a thick skin. 

will the bikila stretch out?  my answer is yes.  after about 12 miles or so in mine over the course of 3 runs mine have stretched out and i cannot begin to describe just how perfect they fit now.  they were tight in the toes and in the top of the foot.  i think i posted this somewhere else but the padding in the insole compresses and molds to your foot so you gain some room there.  also the upper has stretched out and went from being too tight to fit right to feeling perfectly molded to my foot.  on a six mile run today i felt like this shoe was my foot and it was great.  my advice to those of you who think the shoes are too tight is to give them time and see.  unless you are rubbing the end of the toe pocket you should give them some breaking in. 

this is not like any other vff and it is something that i think is designed to be broken in.  you have 90 days to return them to vibram and i'm not sure about city sports but either way you have some time so why is everyone being so hasty and returning or selling them?  dont you guys remember what shoes are like?  they mold to your foot and this is a shoe.  yes it's a five finger minimal shoe but it is more like a shoe than any vff has ever pretended to be.  my experiences in these say they need to be broken in over a few outings and then see how they feel.  this is of course just my opinion as i didnt design them :-)

noahf

noahf is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »

My toes are def. snug tight against the pockets. I've ordered a 43 and will give them a go.
bigjimswift

bigjimswift is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »

My toes are not scrunched up end of the pockets, but my big toe, which is rather large in width, is stretching out the side of the toe pocket. also, the top of the shoe is very tight. I just got them today. Should I try to break them in, or return them for one size up? I wear 42's in classics, and these are 41's.
Jimmy Hart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »

yours sound like mine did and they stretched out nice.  i would say give them a few rounds before you make your decision as i think they would stretch out.  my left toe hangs over more than my right does but it does hang over.  this is mostly from broken toes over the years but unless it's freakish and uncomfortable i dont think toe hang is a bad thing. 

canjockey

canjockey is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 02:41:54 PM »

Thanks for all the advise. I ended up trading my Bikilas 40's in for 41's.

Ran a mile in them @ 6:18 and it felt amazing.

Going to a barefoot running workshop tomorrow morning with Barefoot Rick.

I'm stoked about this brand new adventure.
bigjimswift

bigjimswift is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 01:27:32 PM »

these shoes are awesome! i went for about a 3 mile run in them, and the top loosened up just fine. I still think they need to loosen up a bit more, but we'll see how that goes. I've noticed my toes are right at the top of the toe pocket, but when splay my toes upward, they reach the end of the pocket. It doesn't hurt, and it doesn't feel like they are really bunching up a lot, but i can tell that they are hitting the end of the pocket. Do you guys think this is a problem?
Alerio

Alerio is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »

Mine felt super snug at first, it was even a bit hard to get them on the first time. But after 2 runs about 6 miles total they feel great. They really feel like they are part of you're foot. With my kso's I have room in my small toes but with the bikila it's just perfect. Everyone needs to just run with them to break them in. I can put mine on now with no hassle and I love the fit. Just to let you guys know I wear 44 on my KSO's and bikilas.
mmike

mmike is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »

Guys,

I have a similar problem. Currently I have at home 2 pairs of bikilas - 42 and 43. My feet are 10.80 inches.
The 42 ones fit tight. So tight that I cannot comfortably lift my biggest toe up. I certainly feel that is not moving in it full range of motion. The other toes seem quite alright. I can't really run in them too much to break them in because 'Returns need to arrive in unused condition including tags and original packaging.'

The 43 ones seem much looser. The big toe is still a bit constrained but it is ok-ish. The smaller toes, however, have a lot space. See photos below. If I bend the smaller enough, I can move them out of the toe pockets. And then back in.

Which pair should I keep? Would the 42 stretch by 0.2 inch? I am a bit lost...
Many thanks in advance!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: