BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 25, 2014, 11:05:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaya sizing and stretch?  (Read 2956 times)
pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »

In Classics, Smartwools, Sprints and Performas, I am a W39.  In KSO, KSO Trek and KSO TrekSport I am a W38. I think I am a W38 Bikila LS (standard Bikila doesn't fit due to my higher arch, but I wouldn't mind attempting again one day) and KomodoSport, but again I need to try on again (been a while).

I was just about at the 9 1/4 mark, if not slightly past, on STEMS [Survival] when I remeasured the other night; lord knows what I measured all those months ago!  I just called STEM and left a message to verify - sadly I can't afford a double order! They also compare to a VFF KSO, and I am a W38 in that, so I am pretty sure I ordered the right size, but I want to be safe then sorry!! Especially since they increase a size when worn! A W39 would be too large going sockless at that point!

And the spray deodorants are usually on the bottom row of where they sell... they aren't too common these days, so there is only a small section and an even smaller selection.  I got the Right Guard Sport - figured may as well go as high as I can in stink-protection!  Cheesy

vffs: classic, performa jane, sprint, jaya, kso, kso treksport
non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »

In Classics, Smartwools, Sprints and Performas, I am a W39.  In KSO, KSO Trek and KSO TrekSport I am a W38. I think I am a W38 Bikila LS (standard Bikila doesn't fit due to my higher arch, but I wouldn't mind attempting again one day) and KomodoSport, but again I need to try on again (been a while).

I was just about at the 9 1/4 mark, if not slightly past, on STEMS [Survival] when I remeasured the other night; lord knows what I measured all those months ago!  I just called STEM and left a message to verify - sadly I can't afford a double order! They also compare to a VFF KSO, and I am a W38 in that, so I am pretty sure I ordered the right size, but I want to be safe then sorry!! Especially since they increase a size when worn! A W39 would be too large going sockless at that point!

Why don't I see ANY difference in the survival and primal origins?

I wouldn't think I would have to PAY for both since it is just a pre-order? They can't make me, can they? lol.. I just called STEM (& sent an email! The more overkill the better) as well and left a message to delete my first order if they can because you and I definitely wear the same sizes. I have the same EXACT foot measurement.  I just saw they are based out of Charlotte, NC-- that is just a couple hours from me. I should just drive over there and clear up the mistake (not). It will work out... but I am glad I realized this now and not after they were on their way.

What was your experience with your smartwools when you first got them?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:22:39 PM by Stefanie » Logged

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »

The difference is just the color. Survival is the brown, and Primal is the frost/gray.  No difference in in the sizing tho!

The Smartwools look nice, but they are most definitely a different feel than the standard Classics! The only way I can describe the feel is "off" - they aren't nearly as comfortable as Classics, and I had to cut the chord off the back to make them at a comfort level that I could wear more than just a few hours.  They make my big toe feel "strange" - I wish I could describe it better!

I wear them with Khakis/Chinos usually (I have the Beige ones), as they have a slightly "nicer" look to them than my Classics (which are Grey/Black/Yellow, one of the original colors released for Women's Classics, and my go-to pair that I almost live in!). I wear Smartwools mainly to my desk job on days where I'm not wearing my jeans, and if I don't put them away in the closet, I will wear them for a few more following days since they are in my visual range and I am that lazy  Cheesy.

I wouldn't buy them again even if they were on clearance (which the Blue ones are at a few places), but I don't regret their purchase either. To each their own.  I also am not a fan of Sprints.  I have the Grey Hawaiian Ocean, mainly because I loved the color and hadn't owned Sprints yet. I do see their advantage, but I would much rather kick it around with Classics over Sprints.

non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

The difference is just the color. Survival is the brown, and Primal is the frost/gray.  No difference in in the sizing tho!

The Smartwools look nice, but they are most definitely a different feel than the standard Classics! The only way I can describe the feel is "off" - they aren't nearly as comfortable as Classics, and I had to cut the chord off the back to make them at a comfort level that I could wear more than just a few hours.  They make my big toe feel "strange" - I wish I could describe it better!

I wear them with Khakis/Chinos usually (I have the Beige ones), as they have a slightly "nicer" look to them than my Classics (which are Grey/Black/Yellow, one of the original colors released for Women's Classics, and my go-to pair that I almost live in!). I wear Smartwools mainly to my desk job on days where I'm not wearing my jeans, and if I don't put them away in the closet, I will wear them for a few more following days since they are in my visual range and I am that lazy  Cheesy.

I wouldn't buy them again even if they were on clearance (which the Blue ones are at a few places), but I don't regret their purchase either. To each their own.  I also am not a fan of Sprints.  I have the Grey Hawaiian Ocean, mainly because I loved the color and hadn't owned Sprints yet. I do see their advantage, but I would much rather kick it around with Classics over Sprints.

I was trying to figure out why they had two different pages on the Stem site- under the women's drop down menu lists "Primal Origins" and "Survival Origins" so it makes it look like there are two different STYLES with the same color options.
EDIT: I see now! When you choose either one it brings you to the SAME page with a different shoe 'chosen'-- *slow*
I finally figured it out by clicking the shoes back and forth. Hah- that was confusing there for a minute...

Did you say what color you ordered? I got the frost grey (primal origins). The brown look nice but I NEVER wear brown and therefore browns shoes make no sense (for me).

I understand what you are saying about the smartwools and agree. I would like to have a pair of the lilac or black classics or some sprints but don't really have any specific use for them to realistically fit in my life. Smartwool for slippers/indoor use only, Jaya LR and Jaya for out and about/looking nicer, and Bikila LS for outdoor activities. I am finally past the point of NEED and onto WANT (maybe).

I'd love to have black speeds, too, just because I could maybe get away with wearing them at work one day, but buying shoes to 'maybe' be able to wear them to a 'future' job isn't enough reason for me  Tongue plus they aren't even sold in the US. My next pair of fives I will probably splurge on are some KSO Trek's or Trek LS (if they wind up making them for women).. but it won't be for a while if ever.. I am satisfied hiking in my Bikila Ls' for now. I may have finally satisfied my VFF urge.... but ask me again when the 2012 line is released... hopefully my funds will be built up some by then...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:13:27 PM by Stefanie » Logged

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »

I got a call back from STEM - I did indeed order W38! Woo!  And we should hear from them via Newsletter close or on the 15th for the OFFICIAL order!!!  Grin

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »

I got a call back from STEM - I did indeed order W38! Woo!  And we should hear from them via Newsletter close or on the 15th for the OFFICIAL order!!!  Grin

He called me back too. Andrew from Stem footwear (no this isn't word for word, I can't type that fast, but it's close.. he sounded nervous, it was cute!):

Thanks for your pre-order. Your order will be available between September 16 and September 20. At that time they will go up for sale on the internet, so we haven't charged or anything. The pre-order system is just to take your information, you can always switch at a later time. So when that time comes we will notify you and you can go on and decide. We have now discovered that they do run true to size, so a W39 is a women's 8-8/5.

I will still definitely go with the 38's according to their official size chart.

On another note.. I AM IN LOVE with the 2012 line-up.. definitely will be saving up for some of the Berry colored Classic Fresca and maybe the Grado. I am off to post my Jaya/Jaya LR preliminary review (later today I will have my 38's to try on)....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:55:40 AM by Stefanie » Logged

Watch out for TMTS!
pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 12:02:47 PM »

He called me back too. Andrew from Stem footwear (no this isn't word for word, I can't type that fast, but it's close.. he sounded nervous, it was cute!):

Thanks for your pre-order. Your order will be available between September 16 and September 20. At that time they will go up for sale on the internet, so we haven't charged or anything. The pre-order system is just to take your information, you can always switch at a later time. So when that time comes we will notify you and you can go on and decide. We have now discovered that they do run true to size, so a W39 is a women's 8-8/5.

On another note.. I AM IN LOVE with the 2012 line-up.. definitely will be saving up for some of the Berry colored Classic Fresca and maybe the Grado. I am off to post my Jaya/Jaya LR preliminary review (later today I will have my 38's to try on)....

I am also sticking with the W38s, more because of the fact that they will grow a bit in size from wear.  I missed his call but he left a voicemail pretty close to what you wrote that he said.

I am also VERY MUCH looking forward to the 2012 lineup!!!! The Fresca especially!

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »

And the spray deodorants are usually on the bottom row of where they sell... they aren't too common these days, so there is only a small section and an even smaller selection.  I got the Right Guard Sport - figured may as well go as high as I can in stink-protection!  Cheesy

I got some of this the other day! They also had fancier deodorant + antiperspirant but thought that might be unnatural to prevent my feet from sweating at all, so I got the same exact as pictured above. I have added spraying some to my feet every morning to my morning put on my shoes routine (haha). However.. I still wear my fancy lil toe socks with them! >.< I do love the no-sock feeling for every once in a while.. but I love my socks!

Watch out for TMTS!
pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »

I got some of this the other day! They also had fancier deodorant + antiperspirant but thought that might be unnatural to prevent my feet from sweating at all, so I got the same exact as pictured above. I have added spraying some to my feet every morning to my morning put on my shoes routine (haha). However.. I still wear my fancy lil toe socks with them! >.< I do love the no-sock feeling for every once in a while.. but I love my socks!

How do you like using it?  Do you notice a difference at all?

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »

How do you like using it?  Do you notice a difference at all?

Well.. I haven't worn them 'out and about' for a long time since getting the spray, really. Just at work and the gym. I will wear my Jayas sockless with the spray tomorrow when I am out at the open air market (the last time my feet got smelly!) and let you know! So far so good, though.

Watch out for TMTS!
pamalee

pamalee is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »

I noticed that everyone (sort of) wants to get "Stems" next. Are they VFF shoes or another brand?
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 01:23:03 PM »

I noticed that everyone (sort of) wants to get "Stems" next. Are they VFF shoes or another brand?

No, just an ultra flexible minimalist shoe.  Justin did a review on them on the main page.

http://www.stemfootwear.com/

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Kyrah

Kyrah is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

So I know this is a bit late however.....

Hoping someone can shed some light.  I've gotten the Jaya's in a 37 and I already have a pair of Bikila's in 37.

Most of you talk about the toes, but I didn't see anything about the heel; the heel in my Jaya's has space to fit one or two fingers in behind it.  My toes feel fine however.  Wondering if I should size down as I hate the way it feels like my foot is going to fall out.  Maybe my foot just isn't meant for Jaya's? Not sure Smiley

Bikila's 37, Jaya 37 - not sure whether I'll keep these
Vivobarefoot Brooklyn's 39(old stock), Franklin 37, Neo 37
Kigo Edge women's 8
Stem's 38
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »

Just got my Jaya LRs (black/black) last night. I ordered a W41 as I wear W40 in KSOs, Treksport and Bikila.  They actually fit a little large. If I were going to wear them with socks, I should have gone with a W40. I bought these to wear to work (office). I decided that I'd be wearing socks anyway and they fit great with my injinji liners. So even though they fit a little bigger than I thought, I'm keeping them.  I have them on at work today and haven't had any comments yet.  I will admit that I used a marker and blackened out the yellow branding.  So far, so good!

EDITED TO ADD:  wore them to work again today (Nov 17). Socks started bugging me and my feet were feeling cramped. Ditched the socks and now, I'm very happy with these! Just like slippers! I think it was just weird to have a pair of VFFs at first that weren't as snug and form fitting as my others.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:20:29 PM by PB Junkie » Logged

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: