BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 20, 2014, 09:01:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KomodoSport vs KomodoSport LS  (Read 2434 times)
LoPan12

LoPan12 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »

Hi!  So, I've been thinking about VFFs for a few years now.  I'm an REI member, and since they are freaking awesome, I've spent the past month trying and returning, and ordering different sizes.  I started out trying treksports, but after trying the KomodoSports, I decided the seamless footbed was the way for me to go (the treksport was giving me a big toe rubbing issue, despite several pairs, W40.  the M40 were too big) 
But, the KomodoSport (KS) M40 and KomodoSport LS (KSLS) M40 fit my foot length great.  So the issue I'm having now is deciding which of the two I like better, and could use some advice about the fit and breaking in of VFFs.  I want to be able to return the other pair and for REI to be able to restock them, so I've been limiting wear to places like malls and big box stores and the like, with some dog walking in the grass.
So.      The KS upper fits tight like a second skin.  The KSLS fits with a little bit more...baggieness? Slackroom?  It seems from the site that the KSLS was made for larger feet, high insteps, etc.  So I think that the KSLS actually has just a tiny bit more fabric than the KS in the upper.  Which one is more ideal?  How do these kinds of uppers break in?  It almost as if the KS upper pulls the rubber sole closer to my foot by just a small bit.  Just enough to notice. 
However, on the KSLS, I like the upper toe protection, lack of the heel strap, and smaller heel pull loop.  On the KS, I'm not sure if I like the second skin feeling or not, also, I don't know if the part on the inside of my arch where the strap is attached would rub or not..I can feel it, but can't tell if it'd be a hot spot.  I figure both are just something that I'm not used to?
As for dislikes, on the KSLS; Embroidered Vibram logo above the big toe (a bit irritating and stiff, but likely will wear in to be not a problem), the tongue gives the top of my foot a kind of crowded feeling, as opposed to the KS feeling like one solid piece of glove, and one of the seams on the outside of my left foot caused a sore spot after a day of walking around.  It's where the mesh and the non-mesh meet.
For the KS dislikes, well, it's got less going on, so it doesn't have as much to dislike.  But the anchor piece for the straps kind of bulges out, and like I said, I don't really like the heel strap.  I loosened it so that I couldn't feel it anymore. 

Sorry, I know that was kind of alot of rambling, but I want my first pair to fit just right y'know?  So I guess my main question is, will the quirks in the KSLS work themselves out as they break in?   And how tight of a gloved fit should the uppers be?  Thanks for the help!!!  Also, if anyone wants, they can ask me to compare other particular bits of the two while I've still got them in my possession Wink  But I doubt I'll be able to help out much as I'm new to these things in general!
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »

HighHandicap

HighHandicap is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »

I just tried on the KSLS today at my local REI and I ended up ordering a pair to add to my collection. I will say that I think the KS may still be my favorite VFF. In fact, I think the KS is the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. The fabric used is so incredibly comfortable. On me, the KS feels snug but not uncomfortably tight. The KSOs are probably more snug and can get a little sweaty/"sticky" feeling. I don't have any sore spots, hot spots, bulging, or rubbing with the KS.

In my short time with the KSLS, I didn't have any issues with the seams in the fabric and it was still comfortable, but I think the KS would still be my favorite. I really wish they would have kept the same materials and just made a speed lace version.

VFFs are a very personal fit piece of footwear. Either of the KS and the KSLS will likely be a great shoe for you. One thing I found was that I had to go up one size on the KSLS to get a proper fit, and then the second toe is just a bit longer than I'd like.
LoPan12

LoPan12 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »

Yeah, its mostly splittinghairs between the two.  But the biggest things seem to be the pseudo baggy feeling in the ksls and the "busy-ness" onthe top of my foot.  With the ks, its more minor things like, its higher around the outside ankle and achilles, and the fat pull loops in the back. I'm going to take a walk around the mall in them tomorrow, and but I suspect I will keeps the ks. I like what they tried to do on the ksls, and but they got a bit too ambitious ona few points I think.

Anyone else got any advice?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:14:44 PM by LoPan12 » Logged
iain

iain is starting to look familiar.iain is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

I'll say one point. I tried the KS and KSLS at Mountain Chalet Colorado Springs. (I didn't buy them since other models were on sale  Smiley)

I have rather thick muscular feet so the KS was very tight on my instep. Same for the KSLS but I didn't like the feel of the laces cutting into the top of my foot.

"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." Woody Allen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

vexersa

vexersa is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »

Ive been keen on the Komodosports sincei saw them. I also have some questions about which is best for which foot type. I have pretty average feet I think, i fit perfectly in my TrekSports and i too suffer from the tight black KSO'S, where my left foot feels slightly crushed. Both of these are in m46. My feet fill the TrekSports.

What would be the recommendation for "normal" feet when choosing between the Komodosports models?

Please let me know if this is a thread jack and ill start a new thread!  Grin
ni8shadow

ni8shadow is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 02:10:28 AM »

The ls actually is narrower than the regular.  I bought a 44 which is the same size as my regular ones and it is a snugger fit.  They have stretched out though with a day of walking.
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:04:50 AM »

I have the KS and love them madly. I went to try the KSLS on and didn't like them - for some reason, the feel was quite different. I think I noticed the seams (either that,  or where the insole ends and the fabric begins).

I tried on two different sizes of the LS and didn't find the same snug, cushy feel I had with the KS.

For the record - I'm female. Started out with the black KS, which were super comfortable but too small in the size I ordered. I got the same size in blue, and it fit much better. But both the black and the blue had the same smooth, cushy feel. I didn't get that with the KSLS I tried on.

I was bummed - and then I was glad. I'm saving money by not buying the LS.
vexersa

vexersa is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:59 AM »

Are there any differences in size between the different colours of KomodoSports? I've heard that the blacks run true to Vibrams history (black/black KSO's) and run a little smaller than they should.
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:54:41 AM »

Vexersa, I noticed a size difference in the womens' Komodosports. Size 38 in blue fitted perfectly - size 38 in black crunched my toes way up.
vexersa

vexersa is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »

Vexersa, I noticed a size difference in the womens' Komodosports. Size 38 in blue fitted perfectly - size 38 in black crunched my toes way up.

Okay. I guess I'll just have to try them on! Smiley
Aiea

Aiea is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »

That is good news to hear. I have the black Komodo's and they're just barely big enough (and too small to wear with socks). And I ordered my normal size in the purple Komodo LS, so a little looser will be nice.

Jaya x2 (black, white) Classic x3 (mauve, storm, smartwool) Performa x1 (black)
Komodosports x2 (black/gold, purple LS) Bikala x1 (blue LS) KSO x2 (palm green, black)
Vivo Barefoot (blue EVO, black Isis)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: