BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 08:52:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KSO fit and webbed-foot mod  (Read 358 times)
Boo

Boo is a new face.

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »

I've been having a really hard time with the fit of the KSOs, my first foray into VFF shoes.  I've tried 40s and 41s, but with both sizes after a few hours I have a lot of pain between my second and third toes on my right foot.  The pain immediately goes away if I pull the fabric out from between those toes.  Aside from the pain, the 40s were the right size in regard to toe pocket length and overall fit.  The toe pockets of the 41s are too long (most of my toes don't even reach the toe caps) and the heels are a little loose. 

You can see looking at the soles of VFFs that the apexes (that's probably not quite the right term, but I'm going with it) of the interspaces between the toes all line up in a smooth arc.  The apexes of the interspaces between my toes, if you were to draw a line between all four of them, don't form a nice smooth arc.  They form more of an inverted V, with the tip of the V being between my second and third toes.   Although the ends of my toes form an arc that matches the VFFs, the bases of them don't.  It's not that my toes are too short or too long, it's more that the sole of my foot is too long and not shaped quite right for VFFs.

The only solution I see to this is doing the webbed foot mod.  I've already sent the 40s back and I'm sick of paying for shipping, so if I do decide to make this mod I'll probably try it on the 41s even though they're a bit too big.  Has anyone else noticed this same problem?  Does anyone have an alternate solution?  I'm also wondering if in the long run I'm going to regret keeping the 41s - is it that big of a deal if my toes don't reach the ends of the toe pockets?
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »

Acesa

Acesa is a new face.

VFFFL - Komodo's Rock

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:17:06 AM »

Trying to understand the issue between the toes with the fabric. I am wondering if it is irritation of the skin as it is as very tender part of the foot, or if it is muscular / tendon related. If it is irritation that will go way with time and a little ointment like {White's A&D) , the muscular aspect of it is more a training issue. That may take time to change that. If that is in fact the issue you can try some little things like, without the VFFs on place cotton balls between the toes to train the muscles. Although is sounds a bit goofy, I can't think of a better non- invasive way to emulate the problem and perhaps correct it without damage to the foot or shoe. My toes do not go all the way to the tip or caps either so I do not think that would be the issue. The heel to toe distance should not be a problem as in abnormally long foot, so It may be a "not use to the shoe" issue more than anything. I could be wrong so correct me if I have misunderstood anything. I been wearing my VFFs only short time but, had similar toe shoes before.
Boo

Boo is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »

It doesn't seem to be a skin irritation issue, because the skin isn't red at all.  It's more like the fabric between the toe pockets is pulling back against the webbing between those two toes, even though the shoe itself fits loosely overall.  It feels like the point where the pocket starts needs to be further out towards the ends of the toes, not because I have webbed toes (at least, not webbed more than normal), but because the sole of my foot is shaped more triangularly near the toes.  Does that make any sense?

Thanks for the input.  I wore them all day again today and had the same problem after a few hours.  I'm on the fence about whether to keep them or not.
Acesa

Acesa is a new face.

VFFFL - Komodo's Rock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »

I understand. Meh, Geesey yeah it makes sense. Sounds like the pocket its needs to be altered forward just a bit. I would hate badly for you to have to give up your Vibrams. The toe pockets are a Touchy area to alter. I definitely contact (by Phone) Vibram to see if there is anything they can do to alter the pockets. If they can't  then plan B would be for me,.............
Adidas Adipure Trainer Toe Shoes - BirthdayShoes.com review

Or the Skele Toes by Fila to get a close to the Vibram as possible. I hope the Vibram can help fix the issue. I hope you can get the answer you need . =0)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »

Boo

Boo is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »

I don't want to give up on VFFs, because I'm really enjoying discovering the world with my feet, and my feet are very happy to be free of their hiking boot prisons!  I checked out the video you included in your post and noticed that the KomodoSports that are shown in that video appear to have a different toe pocket formation than the KSOs.  I'd post a pic from Justin's review of the KomodoSport LS that shows what I'm talking about but I can't figure out how to do it.  If you look at the soles of the KomodoSports, the base of the toe pockets between the second and third toes is further out towards the ends of the toes (or furthest from the heel) than all the others.  On the KSOs the base between the big toe and second toe is the one furthest from the heel and the others are all incrementally closer to the heel. 

I looked at pictures of some other models as well, and it looks like many of them have a similar arrangement to the KomodoSports.  I'm not sure why this is, but I think I just need to find someplace where I can try different models on and stop messing around with trying to find a pair online.  But the nearest store that carries them is over an hour away, and they've decided to stop carrying them so they're selling them off and they don't have any in my size anymore.  So I'm kinda in a tough spot!
Acesa

Acesa is a new face.

VFFFL - Komodo's Rock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:35:28 PM »

Dang . so Sorry to hear this, If you have to drive another hour, it's worth it. Go get a store where you can get waited on and fit correctly. Want to see you get the pair you need. Don't give up. I have the Komodo's and love them. Feel you can find the same thing. =0)
Boo

Boo is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »

I may have a good reason to drive an hour and try on different models: Christmas shopping.   Smiley

I started a new topic sharing what I've learned and included pictures.  Hopefully it'll be useful information for someone else.  Thanks again for your input!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: