BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 17, 2014, 11:31:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KSO - Fourth toe  (Read 762 times)
Wal

Wal is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »

Hi all

I've recently purchased a pair of black KSO's, I've only worn them a handful of times (currently wearing them for the third time as I type in fact).

I suppose I'm just after a little reassurance that the size I have brought is correct!  I'm in the UK and brought mine in from the US as it's proved impossible to find anyone that stocks anything under an M40 here, and I've got small feet!

Anyway.  I went with he M38, which is exactly as the Vibram measurement tool suggests.  All toes, with the exception of the fourth, are comfortable and appear to have the correct length.  The fourth toe however seems to be a little tight around the base.  It doesn't cause me any pain, but it's a little distracting and I'm definitely aware of it when out walking. 

I've done a bit of reading around on here, and that suggests things will loosen up a little over time, but I've not seen anyone else have an issue with this toe, it seems to normally be the big toe or small toe.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I don't intend to go running in them, I've had operations on both shins, but I'm looking to embrace the more minimalist approach to try and strengthen the feet and lower limbs for my gym/weights work.

Cheers,
Wal
« on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »

I forget where you start when counting toes, so I do not know if you are referring to the toe next to the big toe or the toe next to the pinky toe.  If it is the toe next to the big toe, do you have a Morton's toe by chance?  If it is the other toe, adjacent to the pinky toe, then I don't really know what to tell you other than that the Morton's toe mod will work on any toe where additional room is needed.  Use the search bar to find several posts on this issue.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Wal

Wal is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »

4th toe is next to the little toe.  Big toe is number 1.

All the other toes are more or less perfect, the fourth toe isn't touching the end, but it feels like the fabric is too tight, or certainly tighter than the others.  It might be the toe on the five fingers starts lower than on my foot if that makes sense?  So causing the fabric to press again the foot between toes three and four... Its really difficult to put into words!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »

Okay, I get it now.  It could be a manufacturing defect with the shoes.  I got a pair of Sprints and had the same issue.  The fabric between the toes seemed as though it was cut further up the foot and dug into the area between my two toes.  I exchanged them for another pair in the exact same size and no problems what-so-ever.  If you are not outside of the return window, I'd try another pair.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »

Wal

Wal is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »

Not so sure its easy to return them, unless I can send them direct to vibram?

They weren't shipped directly to me for a start, I had them delivered to a friend and they were collected by someone else visiting the states.  Shipping back and forth to the states will get costly quick!

The other issue is finding them in my size!  Its difficult to find anywhere that has them, in fact all of the places I found that did have my size have sold them and are now showing out of stock.

mischievous

mischievous is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »

Hi. I've been using FF in regular bases the last two years (KSO) but recently, I'm experience exactly what you describe. I'm not sure if my toe (4) is longer or the FF is smaller (fabric shrinks?) thus, I'm not sure if I should replace it with a 41 (women size) again, or a 42, or a 40 (men size). Difference is not clear for me at the store (too restricted use in short time).  Sad
Wal

Wal is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

I've choosen the time honoured method of ignoring it.

To be honest I don't get any pain from it, I just notice that its tighter, so I've come to the conclusion it'll either stretch and loosen or one of the seams will eventually pop.  I can't realistically return them and get the next size up so its that or sell them.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »

If you can't return them, you might try washing them (or even soaking in cold water) and letting them air dry. My KSOs loosened a little bit when I did that.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Wal

Wal is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »

It's difficult, I don't really need it to loosen, just that tiny little area and the base of my fourth toe.  Everything else fits more or less perfectly.  Its the same on both feet though, so its either the sizing of my toes vs the sizing and placement of the five fingers or the size was just wrong.

They'll be due a wash before too long anyway, so if wearing them over the next few weeks doesn't give me the desired result, hopefully washing them might.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: