BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 27, 2014, 04:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Classics  (Read 1135 times)
Teechii

Teechii is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »

Just received my Classics yesterday. After wearing them for the morning, they seem to be rubbing the back of my ankles creating blisters. I noticed that the tightening loops are pulled to their extent. I was wondering if people with Classics experience think I should go a size down. I usually wear a 42, and that is what size I ordered for the Classics. Thoughts?

Teechii
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:34:05 PM »

Just received my Classics yesterday. After wearing them for the morning, they seem to be rubbing the back of my ankles creating blisters. I noticed that the tightening loops are pulled to their extent. I was wondering if people with Classics experience think I should go a size down. I usually wear a 42, and that is what size I ordered for the Classics. Thoughts?

They aren't classic smartwools are they? & do you mean size UP? I would think if the tab is rubbing you the thought would be to size up not down.

Anyway, if they are regular BLACK classics, that could be an explanation as to why they feel tighter, sometimes black runs a touch smaller (not my personal experience, just what I've heard.)  

You usually wear a size 42 in what?  Because you should size up from KSO/Bikila/Komodo/Speeds.  Reference this sizing chart:  http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Action/Info_Show/Id/75

You may also want to check out these posts I found doing some searches (gotta love the search bar):

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/mods-and-repairs/classics-heel-tab/

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/mods-and-repairs/vff-classics-heel-tab-removal/

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »

Fortunately for me, I never experienced the annoying heel rubs when I began wearing classics.  There are several thread posts about it, and many said that the blisters subsided after prolonged wear once their skin toughened up.  You might need a strategically placed band-aid and/or some body glide until your skin toughens up.  Or you could cut them off, seeing as how Stefanie included a few links to the mods section where this has been done.  I have a modified pair that I bought second hand, but I do not have issues with the tab and have no need to perform the mod on any of my other pairs.  Of course, as Stefanie indicated, incorrect sizing is often a cause of discomfort and rubbing.  Please let us know what other models of VFFs that you have and what colors/sizes.  The only reason I ask about color is because black KSOs and Classics are notorious for running on the small side.  Vibram recommends a size larger in Classics than in their other models.  Most people use KSO as the base line.  I am M40 in KSO and  M41 in Classics.  There are a few forum members that can fit in the same size, there are thread discussions about that as well, however most people do size up.  Some size up even further if they are all black Classics.  I can fit into the same size Classics, M40, however the elastic digs a crater into the top of my foot when I do.  If I removed the elastic completely, I am sure I too could wear the same size in Classics as KSO.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Teechii

Teechii is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

I have size 42 in Speeds - yellow/green, Treksports - red and black, Bikila LS - black/grey, KomodoSport LS - black/burgundy and now Classics in black.
So yesterday I was looking at the Classics and really paying attention to how my feet were fitting in them. I loosened the elastic cord and my heels fit completely to the back with not much gaping. When I had the elastic cord tightened all the way, I had a big gap in the heel area. That is why I thought I might need to size down instead of up. I looked at the DYI on cutting the back tab down so that it is not rubbing the back of my ankle. So I might do that this weekend. I also thought about washing the Classics to see if that would help any.

Thanks to all for the info and advice!

Smiley

Teechii
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »

I have size 42 in Speeds - yellow/green, Treksports - red and black, Bikila LS - black/grey, KomodoSport LS - black/burgundy and now Classics in black.
So yesterday I was looking at the Classics and really paying attention to how my feet were fitting in them. I loosened the elastic cord and my heels fit completely to the back with not much gaping. When I had the elastic cord tightened all the way, I had a big gap in the heel area. That is why I thought I might need to size down instead of up. I looked at the DYI on cutting the back tab down so that it is not rubbing the back of my ankle. So I might do that this weekend. I also thought about washing the Classics to see if that would help any.

Thanks to all for the info and advice!

Smiley

Before you go cutting.. if you are able to try on a 43!!!  I would seriously suggest that if you would still be able to return 42's, most size charts and people suggest sizing up from the styles you already have when getting classics.

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
Teechii

Teechii is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »

I did try on a 43 Classic and I felt like it was too big. I might go back to that store and try it again and do some adjusting. I just get worried that the toe area might be too big as I have less hairy Hobbit feet!  Grin

Teechii
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »

I did try on a 43 Classic and I felt like it was too big. I might go back to that store and try it again and do some adjusting. I just get worried that the toe area might be too big as I have less hairy Hobbit feet!  Grin

Oops, sorry! I was on my phone earlier and must have read too fast.  Too big is no good either.  Good luck!

Watch out for TMTS!
Teechii

Teechii is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »

I bit the bullet and cut the back tab off. I started wit about a third cut off and the tab was still rubbing my ankle. So my partner cut the rest of the tab off in a sort of rounded off fashion. I wore my Classics this morning to walk the dogs and they were MUCH BETTER!

Thanks!
 Grin

Teechii
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »

I bit the bullet and cut the back tab off. I started wit about a third cut off and the tab was still rubbing my ankle. So my partner cut the rest of the tab off in a sort of rounded off fashion. I wore my Classics this morning to walk the dogs and they were MUCH BETTER!

Thanks!
 Grin

Yay~! Glad to hear it.

Watch out for TMTS!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »

Thanks!
 Grin

Glad to hear that option worked out well for you.  If you don't mind me asking, did you pretty them up in any way or just cut them completely off?  There have been several attempts at this posted throughout the forums.  Some were utilitarian and just hacked it off, others separated the leather from the rubber and re-affixed the leather to the shoe over the cut point.  How did you do yours and if possible, care to share a few pics of the finished product?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:27:24 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »

Second!  Please share pics!

Be well!

DrBig74
Teechii

Teechii is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

After looking at the pics, not the best job, but I can now wear my Classics in comfort!

Teechii
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »

Oh, so you cut the leather liner and all off.  They still turned out nice.  Thanks for sharing. 

Teechii

Teechii is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »

Yes, I was going to try and save the leather liner, but I really did not want to take the time to try and separate the two materials from each other. I think I still want to velcro the Vibram name tag to the shoe. I tried a small piece of velcro this weekend, but it did not stick very well. I think I need to follow the post where he velcro was placed on most of the name tag and maybe some super glue.

Thanks!

Teechii
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »

You could try a snap.  You could glue one half of the snap to the tag and the other half to the back of the shoe.  That would be pretty unnoticeable and function-able as well.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: