BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 19, 2014, 03:34:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pressure against toe(s) vs. loose fit...  (Read 2939 times)
Bumper

Bumper is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »

I was wondering how others have dealt with being on the cusp size-wise with VFF. I rated a 40 in men's classics which I purchased locally. Long story short; I returned them for the 41s as I felt my right big toe being pressed against. However the 41s while not pressing on the toe felt "sloppy." furthermore my little toe would pop out on occasion when I'd flex my toes. In the end I exchanged back for the 40s. I find the toe pressure is doable if I don't focus on the sensation. The 41s didn't have the second skin quality that the 40s did. It felt like I was wearing a diaper on my foot (ehem, or what I would imagine a diaper would feel like.)

Thoughts?   

« on: June 13, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »

koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »

As if wearing  FF's isn't weird enough now i'm imagining a diaper on my foot. LOL.

This is precisely why I like the KSO's much better. My Classics fit my foot fine but if the cord is even the least bit tightened I experience toe press back. When I release the pressure I get a little heel drag. The KSO's on the other hand feel much more like a glove, especially in the smaller size.

*I'm barefoot for skeletel correctness*
kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
Tina

Tina is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

I can echo koffekev's remarks. I like the KSOs more than the Classics because the KSOs fit perfectly and the Classics press against my pinky toes (which has been somewhat alleviated by removing the elastic). I think the toe lengths are different between the KSOs and Classics but I can't be certain. I would love it Vibram made half sizes in the Classics, I think it would help a lot of people with sizing.

Bumper

Bumper is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

I washed my classics over the weekend (overnight soak with oxyclean followed by Hot water machine wash w/air dry.) Oddly enough they seemed to have shrunk a bit. The pressure on my right big toe (and now a bit on the second toe) has increased. Indeed half sizes would be a boon.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

Tina

Tina is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »

That's awful, Bumper. Maybe it was the hot water that shrunk the material? I've always washed mine in cold water and haven't experienced any extra tightness after. Hopefully they'll stretch out to wear they were after a few times wearing them.

koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »

I would tug on each toe and try to pull the sole lengthwise. They should return to original. Kevin

kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
kakez

kakez is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »

I just got a pair of KSO's the blue and grays, I sized up to be a 40 and bought them off the internet. My left foot feels perfect, like exactly perfect but my right foot the pinky toe is really tight it hurts actually a lil bit. I'm afraid of getting the 41s because they might be too big, and I'm considering cutting the part between the pinky and the 'ring' toe and sewing it farther up to make it more room and more comfortable. anyones thoughts?
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »

I just got a pair of KSO's the blue and grays, I sized up to be a 40 and bought them off the internet. My left foot feels perfect, like exactly perfect but my right foot the pinky toe is really tight it hurts actually a lil bit. I'm afraid of getting the 41s because they might be too big, and I'm considering cutting the part between the pinky and the 'ring' toe and sewing it farther up to make it more room and more comfortable. anyones thoughts?

That's a tough one - have you been able to try 41s? 

One of these days someone is going to start selling different sizes for left and right feet.  Until then, we've got these kinds of problems ...

kakez

kakez is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »

yeah. i was thinking that! why not (1) half sizes, and (2) being able to buy diff sized pair. like One 40 and one 40.5 would be PERFECT! lol. well hopefully it will be soon. I'm sure every time someone sees any of us they are intrigued and at least check out www.vibramfivefingers.com, if nothing else. Maybe I will start a post asking everyone how many people they think they have turned on to vff's. btw i love these shoes, it makes it so enjoyable just to walk! lol. never been so excited to go WALK somewhere Cheesy
OH yeah, and I haven't worn 41's. although I'm sure they'd be too big, since these fit perfectly otherwise.
Will be buying some classics soon.
koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:24:53 PM »

When i first tried injinji socks it was for an excursion to NYC. Two of my toes felt pressed back enough that when I got back to the car I removed my KSO's and drove home barefoot. I've never had to remove my ff's before. I thought I would have to wear these without socks until I could afford a bigger size.

I did a little brainstorming and found that if you remove all the tension from the velcro strap you end up with more toe and sole room. In hindsight it makes perfect sense. I then slowly added tension until I found the perfect positions for both situations. I did think that i should size up and did to a 45. I find the shoe to be larger and heavier overall and greatly prefer my original ones. I will say the the new ones are breaking in just fine and perhaps will feel as good as the smaller ones. I hope you find this helpful. Kevin

kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
kakez

kakez is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »

Something awesome- I go to a chiropractor pretty regularly, I have for.. well, ten years in august. He tested my five fingers with applied kinesiology and they are fine! Very good news. I also told him about my pinky toes and he tested that and it seems to be fine, but he said maybe I should try to wear them only an hour or a few and build up (just like it says on the vff site), has anyone done this? I figured oh screw that I will just wear them all the time! lol. lemme know
TimButterfield

TimButterfield is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »

Kakez,

It may depend on how active you are/were.  I suspect that the more active you were with shoes, the easier you should take it starting out BF/VFF.  The muscles and tendons in your feet and legs need time to adjust.  The higher the level of activity, the more that the stretching and building up of the feet and legs are needed.  The lighter the level of activity, the easier it will be to tell when you start overdoing it, hopefully before you go too far.  Walk lots, run less, sprint little until you get accustomed to it.  Gradually build up the intensity and you should be okay.

I was sedentary when I started wearing VFFs.  So, since I wasn't on my feet much, I wore them almost all the time.  After a couple of months of BF/VFF, I started the Couch to 5K program.  The half hour walk/run interval workouts three times a week were difficult.  I couldn't complete the sixty second run segments, mostly because of burning in the achilles and calves.  Even with two months of walking in VFFs, I was still not used to the extra stretching of running.  I repeated the week one level twice without success.  During the second week, I overdid it, stressed my calf, and had to skip the next couple of workouts.  I am repeating the week one level for the third time now and am finally completing the workouts successfully.
crashnburn

crashnburn is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »

I just got VFFs KSO Blacks 42.

My Big Toes fit right under the upper lip of the sole and I dont feel any pressure from the END but some from the top.

On the other hand, all the other Toes are loose.. and get more lose as I go from the Big Toe to the Pinky. In fact, my Pinky toe is too small for it Smiley

I am guessing I cant go up or down in size?

Going up: Other toes get more loose.
Going down: Big Toe gets super tight.

Note: Toe 1 (Big Toe) and Toe 2 become tight inside the toe pockets when I scrunch / pull my toes upward from the floor. Else, I think its a relaxed fit.
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »

You might try trimming your big toenail shorter - when I feel pressure from the top (where the rubber end curves over) that usually fixes it.

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
Chris

Chris is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »

I have sprints in M42 and M43.  I started off in the 43s, the heel was very big but the toes felt just about right.  With the 42s the heel is right but the toes are kinda snug.  I haven't run in the smaller pair yet but have climbed stairs pretty aggressively and my feet feel great later.  I think the difference between just touching and being painful in the long run is greater than everyone would think.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: