BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 24, 2014, 07:52:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questionnaire / Survey on Sizing and Fit  (Read 2944 times)
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:54:58 PM »

So far, I've received about 25 responses to my Sizing and Fit Questionnaire:

http://birthdayshoes.com/questionnaire/

That's a pretty decent starting point, but I'd like to get up to about 50 responses before I start diving in with my Microsoft Excel nerdery and do some high-tech spreadsheet nerdery.

So if you've not taken the survey, please take about five minutes to do it.  Word.

« on: May 26, 2009, 04:54:58 PM »

allawayr

allawayr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:46:24 PM »

My only problem so far is that I've never been able to perfectly measure my foot. Sure, I'm able to measure it accurately enough to fit VFFs with 90% confidence, but I can't seem to find a ruler that is exactly at 0" at the end. On top of that, the placing the foot against the wall trick doesn't work because pretty much everywhere in my house that I can find there's moulding around the bottom of the wall that either displaces the ruler or the foot. Either way - I have trouble. Apparently Vibram makes custom shoe measurers for retail stores that carry VFFs but I have yet to see these as I've only bought VFFs online.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/yawalla
Better Living Through Nutrition: http://livingthroughnutrition.wordpress.com/
JerryD

JerryD is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »

I have found that the best way for me to measure my feet was to use a flexible measuring tape, like the kind used for measuring fabric.  You can stand directly on it and place your heel at the 1" or 2" line, that way you can be a bit more exact and not have to worry about the inexactness of the end of the tape.
koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »

I found that my second toe is slightly longer than my big toe. It wasn't when I initialy measured for my first pair. By wearing FF's my toes got longer. I must not have been letting them flex completely for years. My shoes were always sized correctly, or so I thought. When measuring try standing on your toes to see if and how far your second one extends past the big one. I believe this is critical for correct measurement. I will always size up if I need to make that choice. There is nothing more uncomfortable than a toe being contiually pressed back. Don't underestimate the strength of the rubber, you cannot change it's form. Kevin

*I'm barefoot for skeletel correctness*
kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »

allawayr

allawayr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:25:39 AM »

By wearing FF's my toes got longer.

I thought the same thing but then I dismissed it - I assumed I hadn't paid that much attention to my feet. I guess I could have been wrong!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/yawalla
Better Living Through Nutrition: http://livingthroughnutrition.wordpress.com/
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

By wearing FF's my toes got longer.

I thought the same thing but then I dismissed it - I assumed I hadn't paid that much attention to my feet. I guess I could have been wrong!

This is very interesting ... I'm still waiting for something to happen to my outter two toes ... they are just so gimp-ified it's sad!

gibson7

gibson7 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:54:58 AM »

hi everyone,
i'm new to vff.

just got it. but i saw the bottom has a w42 marking on my vff sole. the specific model is w147 is that a womens model?
Please tell me it doesn't mean its a women's size 42! Is it?
if it is, i'm going to exchange for a proper pair lol

tia
cheers
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:08:13 AM by gibson7 » Logged
RobbieD

RobbieD is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »

Hi Gibson,

No W stands for Wide Fitting!
and If I recall M stands for medium fitting.

I hope this is of assistance.

Regards
Robert
gibson7

gibson7 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »

thanks.
hope you are right.

*edit: yeah!!! checked vibram's site, they dont have brown/brown for womens. -_-""
justin
Administrator
Superstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »

hi everyone,
i'm new to vff.

just got it. but i saw the bottom has a w42 marking on my vff sole. the specific model is w147 is that a womens model?
Please tell me it doesn't mean its a women's size 42! Is it?
if it is, i'm going to exchange for a proper pair lol

tia
cheers

Hmm ... I'm not so sure about Robbie's reponse -- to my knowledge, there is no "wide" version of fivefingers.  They just naturally accomodate wide feet.

Secondly, I think the M and W stand for Men's and Women's -- here's a great shot of a Woman's VFF sole:

http://expeditionaryart.com/blog/2008/05/vibram-five-fingers/

And both my pairs, which I didn't specify to be "medium" are Mens.

Now, if your W fits you well, it honestly makes no difference that it's a women's specific pair -- if the foot glove fits ... you see, there is a slight difference (so I hear) between women's and men's -- the women's are slightly more narrow.  So if it works well for you and doesn't feel to tight around the foot, then really there is no problem.

What regular shoe size are you?  How does that shoe size convert on the men's part of this chart?  And then how does that compare to the women's sizing?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/size_conversion_chart.html

See, a women's 42 is a men's 40 / 41 -- interestingly enough, it looks like you can almost go between sizes via using women's sizes for intermediate sized feet.

RobbieD

RobbieD is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that Justin,

So that means I have a mens KSO size 41 and a womans Sprint size 42 (It is Aqua) so sort of explains it !

Robert.
gibson7

gibson7 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »

Lol then i think i have a women's 42. Coz my normal track shoes were 8.5/9 and when i measured against their chart, i was a 40. But i asked for a 41 as i knew i had a bigger left foot compared to my right and also my 2nd toes were as long as my biggie.

Fit very snugly. But i wanted to try with socks. And it was way too tight. So i tried both 41 and 42 with the socks and 42 were just nice, only my 4th and 5th toes have a bit more slack. Not gonna change it since its fitting nicely.
justin
Administrator
Superstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »

Lol then i think i have a women's 42. Coz my normal track shoes were 8.5/9 and when i measured against their chart, i was a 40. But i asked for a 41 as i knew i had a bigger left foot compared to my right and also my 2nd toes were as long as my biggie.

Fit very snugly. But i wanted to try with socks. And it was way too tight. So i tried both 41 and 42 with the socks and 42 were just nice, only my 4th and 5th toes have a bit more slack. Not gonna change it since its fitting nicely.

Yeah really no reason to change it -- actually, it might not be a bad idea to try sizes in women's (or men's for women) if you are in between foot lengths no matter what since it looks like there is a lot of overlap between sizes.

JerryD

JerryD is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »

I was in a Hudson Trail Outfitters looking for VFFs and the sales associate (male) said that he had to get a women's pair because they fit him the best.  I say go for comfort.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: