BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 01, 2014, 09:49:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF Speed - tongue too narrow and laces too short?  (Read 658 times)
MarkF786

MarkF786 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »

I bought a pair of Komodosports a few weeks ago and 46 fit best.  They're really comfortable, but I wanted a pair of VFFs that looked a little more traditional so I asked my wife to get me a pair of Speeds for my birthday which is today.  Since Vibram's chart indicated that the Komodosports and Speeds ran the same in size, I got them in 46.

Toe-to-heel, they feel a tight, and even more so side-to-side, but they biggest problem seems to be that the tongue is too narrow so there is a small gap between it and the shoe and the laces are too short so there is no room to tie a bow.  I typically wouldn't think I have a high instep because I've never had a problem with shoes, but it seems these shoes are designed for a very low instep.  I don't have any problem with my Komodosports in this regard.

Searching the forum, I see a lot of people saying that Speeds run small and people should buy them one size bigger.  So I'm thinking of exchanging the ones I got for 47, but I wonder if it will make any difference in the tongue and laces.

Has anyone else ran into the problem of the tongue being too narrow and the laces too short?  If you went up a size, was it any better?

Thanks,

Mark
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »

vffjeeper04

vffjeeper04 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »

I know what you mean, the tongue is too narrow and the laces dig into the top of my foot. Try the speed lacing system the LS models have, seems to work better. They could of had material on both sides tongue attached to the shoe to circumvent the issue.

VFF's: M42 Classics (Walnut/Brown), M41 Flows (Black), M41 Speeds (Black and white), M41 KSO Treks (Black)
Non VFF's: Barefeet, NB Minimus MB10, Inov8 Evoskin M (Smoke)
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »

I know what you mean, the tongue is too narrow and the laces dig into the top of my foot. Try the speed lacing system the LS models have, seems to work better.

I've narrow feet and the Speed is perfectly fine. I can imagine it being a problem for those with broad feet.

They could [have] had material on both sides [of the] tongue attached to the shoe to circumvent the issue.

This is commonly called a "gusset". Apparently the (Autumn 2012) Speed LC model will have one.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »

I know you already found some info on sizing.  Here is another thread.

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/fivefingers-sizing-and-fit-discussion/speed-sizing-5217/

Here is a thread about lace color that sort of also turned into a length discussion.

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/men's-speeds-lace-color/

basically I up-sized two full sizes over what Vibram stated I should take in Speeds.  For most, once size is sufficient.  I also went with a slightly longer lace when I did my color change, and am actually happier with the longer length.  It helps make up for the girth of my foot.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: