BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 21, 2014, 06:06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibram Measurements Database  (Read 3096 times)

22209 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »

There's high demand for VFFs, so many stores run out of their inventory quickly.  This leaves customers unable to try on a wide selection of VFF models, sizes, and colors.  However by many reports, VFF dimensions (in overall length & width, toe pocket length & width, and maybe other ways?) for a particular labeled size vary by both model and color.  So it can be difficult to figure out which VFF would best fit a particular foot.

I'd like to build & maintain an online resource of actual VFF dimensions.  I hope to populate it with the help of the online community because I am sure we collectively own (and can measure) a fairly comprehensive set of the available VFFs. 

With this tool it should be easier to figure out how other Vibrams differ from ones you've tried and if a different color/model/size would be a better fit.  I've included descriptions and photos of what the measurements represent in the footnotes. 

Please measure your own Vibrams & email me (22209va AT gmail.com) the dimensions (& size, model, & color), and as the database builds up please use this as a resource.  I hope it's helpful!

The current database is here:
http://bit.ly/a8D08d
« on: June 11, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »

Anderson

Anderson is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »

Very enterprising and a cool idea!  I was thinking it would be good to have visibility on how many pairs were measured for a particular shoe/color/size.  For example, if you receive 2 measurements for a W40 Black Classic, would you display record for each?  Average them if there's differences and footnote how many were factored in?  Display a range, perhaps?

It seems likely to me that variations may be tied more to a factory or an individual on a part of a production line or even how focused that individual is at a given time of day...as opposed to a particular color of fabric.  Still, I would expect that the variations would fall within a certain range for each size, so this spreadsheet seems like a handy tool once filled! 

I'll measure 6 pairs for ya in the next 24 hours or so.   Grin

"Buy me a Bushmills, I'll sing you a song."

22209 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »

Thank you! 

I plan to post all measurements that I receive, and if I get enough responses that it seems handy I'll list the average measurements for a particular size, model, & color.  I also think that there will be some variation in the way people do the measurements, but hopefully they'll be close and will average out to useful information. 
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:15:18 AM »

Any chance there might at some point be a metric version, or a conversion tool?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:15:18 AM »

22209 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:23:22 AM »

Sure, no problem.  I just added a "cm" tab on the top of the page -- click there to get to the metric version.

When you do get your Vibrams, please measure them and email me with the measurements so that I can add them to the database.  Thank you!
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »

The descriptions of the places where the measurements are taken are pretty good, but a graphic showing them would be great. Just an idea for you to help others make the correct measurements.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!

22209 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »

Jeepman, thank you for the suggestion.  There are actually links to photos depicting each of the measurement locations included in the footnotes:

[1] distance from the middle of the intersection of the 1st & 2nd toe pockets to the middle of the intersection of the 4th & 5th toe pockets, as measured on from the sole. Shown as 2.25" here: http://bit.ly/cgq8ty
[2] inside distance from the tip of the big toe to the middle of the heel. Shown as 9" here: http://bit.ly/9brcJD
[3] distance from intersection of 1st & 2nd toe pockets to start of 1st toe's rubber toe-tip. Shown as 1.25" here: http://bit.ly/bwPW75
[4] distance from outer seam to inner edge of rubber at the middle of the toe. Shown as 1.375" here: http://bit.ly/9wqcPM

I've been wondering if I should add a photo to the length one that shows more clearly that the tape measure should start at the tip of the big toe, but honestly I've gotten so few measurements from people I wasn't sure there was enough interest.
Mojo

Mojo is a new face.

Stinky hippie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »

Just sent mine in to you.  I've got a few more pairs coming my way, so I'll email the measurements to those when I get them in.  Smiley

12 pairs of VFF's: 6 KSO (1 grey/palm, 1 blue/camo, 2 black & 2 grey/fuchsia), 2 Classic (black & lilac), 2 Bikila (magenta/orange & silver/verde), 1 Speed (black/white), 1 Sport Trek (Champagne/Red) Proud vegan

22209 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »

Mojo, thank you!  I've added yours in.

Mojo

Mojo is a new face.

Stinky hippie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »

You're welcome!  Happy to help.  Grin

12 pairs of VFF's: 6 KSO (1 grey/palm, 1 blue/camo, 2 black & 2 grey/fuchsia), 2 Classic (black & lilac), 2 Bikila (magenta/orange & silver/verde), 1 Speed (black/white), 1 Sport Trek (Champagne/Red) Proud vegan
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »

Jeepman, thank you for the suggestion.  There are actually links to photos depicting each of the measurement locations included in the footnotes:

[1] distance from the middle of the intersection of the 1st & 2nd toe pockets to the middle of the intersection of the 4th & 5th toe pockets, as measured on from the sole. Shown as 2.25" here: http://bit.ly/cgq8ty
[2] inside distance from the tip of the big toe to the middle of the heel. Shown as 9" here: http://bit.ly/9brcJD
[3] distance from intersection of 1st & 2nd toe pockets to start of 1st toe's rubber toe-tip. Shown as 1.25" here: http://bit.ly/bwPW75
[4] distance from outer seam to inner edge of rubber at the middle of the toe. Shown as 1.375" here: http://bit.ly/9wqcPM

I've been wondering if I should add a photo to the length one that shows more clearly that the tape measure should start at the tip of the big toe, but honestly I've gotten so few measurements from people I wasn't sure there was enough interest.

Cool! I'll send you some info when I get the chance.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
iain

iain is starting to look familiar.iain is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »

Age and usage may affect dimensions. My experience with my KSO is  that the fabric loosens over time. (over 1 year, 9 months everyday usage)

"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." Woody Allen

22209 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

iain, have you found that the rubber also stretches over time?  Most of the measurements being made are on rubber rather than the fabric.  I could make a note indicating age however, if the person sending the data in says they think it's relevant.
ColtsFanNC

ColtsFanNC is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 08:26:17 PM »

No men's measurements? Perhaps I'll be the first.

My running blog: http://c2ff.blogspot.com
Mojo

Mojo is a new face.

Stinky hippie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »

I'm curious to see how other colors (aside from the black and lilac I already have and measured/submitted) of Classics compare in W41 (and possibly W40).

I'm thinking of getting another pair in another color (Stormy Sea is highest on my list at the moment) and while I know that my black ones run a bit small, I'm not sure if my lilac Classics run big or if they're the "normal" size for a W41 Classic.  The lilac is just a smidge on the big side (the foot and toes feel fine, but the heel is loose at the base; they'll stay on my feet without the cord tightened, but I definitely couldn't run in them without cinching it down and they might be problematic even then...good thing I didn't buy them for sports/exercise use and got that pair purely for looks Tongue ) and I could maybe get by in a W40.  Based on the measurements for the mauve Classics in W40, I'm thinking that I can't go down a size to a W40 if they non-black sizes run similarly because they'll be a little too small (especially since my first pair of VFF's was a pair of W40 Sprints and they were painfully small on me, although that was years ago and they could have changed the sizing since then).

I'm hoping the other colors run smaller than lilac, but not a full size small.  My W41 black Classics are comfortable but snug.  I can't go any smaller, that's for sure.  If the other colors were somewhere between the lilac and the black, they'd probably be perfect.  And if the fit of the lilacs is normal, then I'll just have to deal with the little bit of extra space and get the W41 again.

So if anyone out there has Classics in a W41 in a color other than lilac or black (or lilac Classics in size W40 for comparison), I'd be grateful if you'd send in the measurements.  I can't seem to find them in my size around where I live and have to buy mine online, so figuring out the right size for Classics would help (I know what size I am in Bikilas, KSO's and Sprints).  Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: