BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 02, 2014, 12:30:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another speed sizing thread :/  (Read 2130 times)
Limmerman

Limmerman is a new face.

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »

Hello!
I've been doing a lot of research through all the forums, and from what Ive read, some people are going one size up from their KSOs while others have to go up two sizes in order to get a good fit. I have a friend who is bringing me back a pair from America, so I want to make sure the size I order is exactly the size I need, as there really isn't an option to exchange it. I live in Singapore right now, and speeds arent available here so it's impossible to try them on at a local retailer.

I wear a W39 in the KSO, and it fits perfectly. I remember them being a little on the tight side when I got them, but they've stretched out over time, and from what I've read, speeds dont stretch that much. My foot length is 9 1/2 inches, so I really need your guy's help in deciding what size to get. I was planning on getting a W40, but someone else said that they have a 9 1/4 inch foot and the speed fits perfectly. Based on that, I should able to get the W41 or (more preferably since I really want the black/white,) M40.... right?

So that's my predicament, and I'm reaching out to the birthdayshoes community for help. Given my situation, I need this order to be exactly perfect!

Thanks for the help guys!
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't know if this will be much help or just add confusion to your situation.  I normally wear M40 in KSO.  I was told to upsize a size on Speeds, which I definitely needed to do.  I found the M41 to be all right length wise, but too narrow.  I went one additonal size up to M42 and got a prefect fit.  I did not notice any additional length, but did gain width.  If you have narrow feet or normally wear W39, I am betting a W40 will be fine.  I would definitely steer clear of the W39.  I think it would likely be too small. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Limmerman

Limmerman is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »

Hey it's you! You were the guy that added to my confusion while I was doing my research since you had to go up 2 sizes while the majority only had to go up 1. I am pretty worried about getting the W40 because I am a guy wearing women's sizes, and if I have to jump 2 sizes like you, it would put me in the M40 range. I am also worried about the width. I know the speeds don't stretch that easily, so I am worried that if I get the W40, my wider-than-women feet will feel too crammed in the shoe width wise and it won't stretch out.. Any thoughts on where to go from here?
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »

There is another guy on the forums that had a similar experience to mine regarding Speed sizing, so I am not alone in my findings.  My feet measure 10 1/4 and I wear M40 in KSO and M41 in Classics.  I fit, length wise into the M41 Speeds, but they were too narrow and pinched my feet at mid foot near the eyelets.  I have really wide feet though.  If you have "normal width" feet, then you may be fine just upsizing one size over your KSO size, where Speeds are concerned.  If you normally wear a W38, the W39 should suffice.  I could not even get my foot into a M40 Speed, so I can say they are definitely not 10 1/4 long regardless of what Vibram's sizing guide claims.  Although they were not 10 1/4 long, I doubt they were as short as 9 1/2.  You might find them okay, because you can tighten the laces a lot, providing you don't have too much room in the big toe area.  Unfortunately it is kind of a crap shoot.  I have no experience with women's sizing of Speeds.  Maybe some of our other forum members will chime in regarding their experiences.  If you can afford to do it, get one of each and sell or return the ill fitted pair.  If Speeds are not in your area, you may find it easy to unload the extra pair or you could post them on the forums for sale.  Sorry I could not offer you a definitive answer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:45:57 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »

Bango Skank

Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.

master of the five fingered discount :O

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »

I wear a W41 in KSO and Komodo and a M42 in Speed.

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
-Buddha
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »

@Bango Skank

I thought you were the other forum member with the Speed sizing dilemma similar to mine, but I was not certain and did not want to call you out if I was wrong.  I remember bbeaton having issues as well, but he cut his.

Bango Skank

Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.

master of the five fingered discount :O

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »

Bottom line: The sizing is completely goofy on these.  Unless you try them out for yourself, there's no guarantee that they'll fit.

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
-Buddha
Limmerman

Limmerman is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »

So today I went and tried on the Bikila LS's since they're the closest in size compared to the speeds, and it turns out I can wear a M40. I was extremely excited, since that meant that I would be able to get them in black. But then I realized that Singapore probably follows the Euro sizing, so I checked to see if a Euro M40 is the same as a American M40...and it isn't. The Euro M40 is 10inches while the American is 10 1/4 inches. I don't know if that is going to make much of a difference though since I plan on wearing socks with them...any thoughts if the additional 1/4 inch is going to make a huge difference?
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »

You will probably be fine.  I am supposed to take a M40 in Speeds and my foot measure 10 1/4.  I ended up in a M42 for width.  M41 fit fine length wise.  Funny thing, I once tried on a M42 standard Bikila and they were way too long.  Even though the two shoes are on the same sole, they still have slightly different fits.  I can comfortably wear M41 Bikila LS.  If you are only one size up, you should be fine and may not even notice any difference.  When I went from M41 to M42 in my Speeds, I did not notice a difference in big toe length of the shoe, but my results may not be typical.  How did the M40 Bikila LS fit?  Were they snug or was there room to spare?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:56:44 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

Limmerman

Limmerman is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »

The bikila ls fit was a lot more comfortable than my W39 ksos. It made me reconsider if I had been wearing a size that was simply too small for me this whole time. With the M40 bikila ls, my big toe was maybe 1/8 of an inch away from the tip of the shoe and my pinky toe was almost touching the tip. These were all euro sizes though, which is why I am worried now. The M40 that I will be ordering will be the equivalent of the M41 euro size, which I am not sure will fit well..
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »

I think you will be all right with the M40 Speed.  I am not the only one to think they ran both a little short and a little narrow.  Worst case scenario, someone else on the forum ended up sticking a cotton ball at the tip if the big toe pocket in order to get a more precise fit in one of their models.  You could always try that.

As I stated before, I wear M40 in KSO in the US sizing.  My big toe just gently kisses the end of the toe pocket and there are no room for socks of any kind.  I could not even get a M40 Speed on my foot, even though that is what Vibram US chart indicated I should wear.  In the US sizing, I think you need to upsize one size over what the chart says for Speeds.  Me and Bango Skank having to go up two sizes are probably not typical results.  If you opt for M40 in US sized Speeds, they should fit comparable to a European sized Bikila LS in M40.  In US sizing, I take a M41 in Bikila LS.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:40:20 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

tchaten

tchaten is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »

So I got in my pair of SPEEDS today  - these things are well so "cute" as a guy I rarely use that word - but these things rock! - Super comfy and oh so stylish - even cool than pics or a video could show.

So I wear a M44 in KSO Treks and a M45 in MOCs and CLASSICs etc.

I went with the sizing chart of getting the 44s and when looking at them comparing visually to the MOCs I was wearing I thought there is no way my foot is going to like this fit, but after putting em on - which was a little harder than some of the other pairs - but after putting em on they fit pretty perfectly - they may be a tad smaller than the KSO Treks, but nothing that makes them the wrong size - I could probably wear a 45 comfortably as well, but the 44 is a nice fit.

Thought I'd share that with those thinking 2 sizes up is a good idea - you may be fine with your normal size ...

Sizing 44/45 - KSO Trek (Black and Brown), Trek LS in Brown, MOCs in Black, Classic in Orange/Black, Sprint in Beige, Bikila in Blue/Gold, and SPEEDs.
Limmerman

Limmerman is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 06:39:05 AM »

So I got my speeds today! M40 fits perfect for me. The pinky toe is a little wide, but other than that it fits extremely well with and without socks. I must say that it really is pretty small. It is only about a half inch bigger than my W39 KSOs. I'm happy with my choice. If there's anyone who has similar foot size to mine (9.5 inches), the M40 should fit extremely well!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »

@Limmerman

I am glad you were able to get a precise fit.  Hopefully all of the advice helped.

Chris

Chris is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »

Just to add a data point.  I take a 42 in Sprints so I followed the chart and got a pair of 41 in Speeds... which were WAY too small.  I now have a pair of 42 Speeds and the fabric between the toes applies a little pressure towards the back of my foot and every now and then it feels like the big and second toe pockets are a bit short.  I'm on the fence with them now and I haven't worn them while walking too far since it seems to be rather chilly or rainy when I would have a chance to do so. 

Do Speeds stretch at all?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: