BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 22, 2014, 05:16:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bikila - Size Issue - Top side of foot sore Mod required?  (Read 2197 times)
Rebelcork

Rebelcork is a new face.

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »

Hi,

I have been searching through all the forums around the internet for an solution to my problem and figure this is the best place to post my question.

I have been training in my Bikila's for some months and in 13 days time I will be running the Dublin marathon in them (it was never the plan - they just replaced my normal runners with use!). I am having problems and want to make sure I have all the bases covered before I run so I have three Q's for anyone that can answer them below, any suggestions/ direction would be great

1. I have encountered in long runs is that the top side of my foot around the Velcro strap (talus/ Navicular bones area) becomes very sore due to the tightness of the shoe in that area. I have the straps as loose as possible and still I have this issue after 10-15k
Has anyone cut through this section of the shoe before to alleviate this type of problem point or is it not advisable due to the support band around the opening of the shoe? Maybe I only cut a hole around this area and not break the band?

2. Any idea how to get rid of small stones under the cloth inside the shoe, I did a cross country run (river crossings/ bogs/ ditches and lots of mud up to my knees!) and I can't get them out no matter ho much I wash them

3. Finally! my baby toes is not happy being away from its neighbour - should I just Vaseline up the toes and toe holes to reduce friction issues for this problem, it usually annoys me for the first 5k-ish and then I have many other pains to take my mind off it!

Obviously I should have been looking around the forums before now but I have been too busy to even start looking, now that I am running less and carb loading I have time to go online!

Thanks for your time

John
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »

Could you perhaps dampen/wet the tight area and then use a shoe stretcher to stretch it out?

That's all I can think of.

Best wishes for your Marathon.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Rebelcork

Rebelcork is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »

Could do - I will look into that one - thanks for the tip
Rebelcork

Rebelcork is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »

PB junkie,

No go on that front - the material would just tear so they were not willing to take it. Instead I modded the pair myself using Velcro - slit down through the middle (heel to toe direction) and then used the other Velcro side to hold it together in a comfortable position (which is with approx 4mm gap between the two sides). I went for a 30min run and no hassle with it. I have tried to insert a photo of it so hopefully it works

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

PB junkie,

No go on that front - the material would just tear so they were not willing to take it. Instead I modded the pair myself using Velcro - slit down through the middle (heel to toe direction) and then used the other Velcro side to hold it together in a comfortable position (which is with approx 4mm gap between the two sides). I went for a 30min run and no hassle with it. I have tried to insert a photo of it so hopefully it works

Please elaborate more on this photo.  It looks as though the velcro is scratchy side up on the top of the shoe.  Is that correct?  Is it double sided velcro or do you have two pieces back to back.  I am assuming you have adhesive backed velcro, so that could be part of my confusion.  So is the fuzzy side of the velcro pointing down and coming in contact with the top of your foot?  Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Leigh
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:45:31 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Rebelcork

Rebelcork is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »

Leigh,

Sorry - photo only shows the Velcro part glued to the shoe. It has a sticky side but I know this would not be enough to hold it together and hence the glue

So in order from top to bottom:

Top Velcro (fuzzy side down) - sticks onto the bottom Velcro and gives the shoe support on top. Topside - I just left the backing sticker on it instead of finding smthg to stick on

Bottom Velcro (scratchy side up) with a 15mm cut line from heel to toe
Super glue
Topside of shoe
Foot (in shoe!)

Hope that's clearer, now all I need is a solution for the small stones in the shoe!

John
ultrarunner100

ultrarunner100 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »

If/when you need to buy a 2nd pr of Bikila, get the LS version. It has the new lacing system that is designed to fit more types of feet. I think it will help your situation.

Rex_Kwon_Do

Rex_Kwon_Do is a new face.

I work for The Donald

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »

I second the notion of getting Bikila LS as your next pair of VFFs.  I would also add that I have cut the straps off of my KSOs and Treks because the strap was too short, and I am very pleased with the result.  If your Bikilas are tight on your foot, do you really need the strap at all?

I can't help you with the pebbles in your VFFs, but you might want to get a thin pair of toe socks to help your pinky toes.  The socks relieve friction.  While some people on this forum are anti-toesock, I think they make any VFF feel even better.

Best of luck with your marathon.

My VFF sphere of influence: Walker, Will, Rogers, Jacob, Taylor, Graham, Hunt, Jamison, Lorae, Lee, Erik, Eric, Anna, TJ, Jesse
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

Bikila LS is definitely a good choice for a second shoe.  I had the same problem you had and once I started using the Bikila LS, I was able to adjust the laces so that the top of my foot was no longer being squeezed.  I also replaced the stock laces on my LS with some elastic triathlon laces to accommodate for the swell of my foot during my long runs.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
theisgroup

theisgroup is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »

+1 for the Bikila LS. I actually purchase the bikila 1 size bigger because of the same problem. they were just too tight around the body of the shoe for my foot. I guess i have chubby feet. with the LS, i went down one size and the lace system just snugs up so much better.
Rebelcork

Rebelcork is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »

Guys,

Sorry about the lack of noise here,  and thanks for all the advice & recommendations. Obviously after a marathon you don't want to run for a while and then whilst fixing my motorbike it fell over - but luckily only broke a finger. More importantly marathon went well a personal best of 4:11 and met a few other birthday shoe runners - seems like a very friendly bunch, between us we worked out there was at least 6 of us and I was questioned a number of times along the route about my choice in footwear!.

My target is still a sub 4 and so I have signed up for the Barcelona marathon on the 25th March and this time I am not staying with friends with young kids who want to play all day long!

In addition to the problems described above I had sharp pains in the metatarsal area in both feet in the last 2 weeks leading up to the marathon & on the day itself my doctor said it was a suspected stress fracture which luckily turned out not to be the case.

Thanks for all the recommendations on the Bikila LS ones, I will looking into them as soon as I find a good store here. I went to the Vibram store in Westfields Stratford in London and they were pretty useless but they did show me Komodosport with extra padding for in the metatarsals area, but I can't seem to find any info on these, does anyone know about it or were they just making it up as they went along?

I went for a 15k run in my Brooks today and now my knee is in pain from a past ITB problem so I am guessing with 11 weeks to go I need to stick with some kind of 5 fingers

John
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »

First off, congrats on your Marathon! As far as the Komodosport LS, they have a 4mm outsole and 3mm footbed, which, according to Vibram site, is the same as the Bikila LS. Personally, I find the feel very similar.  However, for me, the Komodosport LS fit me a little better and they are definitely my "go to" shoes for road running. I have read other users that say they have more cushioning though.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Rebelcork

Rebelcork is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »

Thanks PB!

As for the advice I went to two stores in London - Runners Needs which didn't have any and the Vibram store in Westfields Stratford. In Vibrams store I can honestly say I have never had to deal with such useless staff before - none of them knew more about the shoes then the fact that they looked different and seemed to be more interested in talking to friends then serving customers. In the end they had nothing in my size so instead of waiting for a delivery I have decided to continue running in the Bikila shoes for the Barca marathon in March.

On the treadmill no problems but when I did venture outdoors in the cold the metatarsals in my left foot started playing up so smthg to look into later on
Rebelcork

Rebelcork is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

Just finished a second marathon in the shoes, and had to carry out another mod to them which was the insole coming away at the heel which I solved with super-glue and then had to file it down to make it smooth. I did the mod a few days before the marathon (yup dumb idea) and I haven't had a problem yet, though the other shoes insole is looking dodgy now.

One thing I found out which I want to share is my metatarsals problem. I read somewhere or talked with someone about it and it was suggested to roll my foot on a golf ball in the area and apply pressure the massage out any issues in the area. It may not work for everyone but it certainly worked for me.

Hope it helps someone here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: