BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 20, 2014, 04:00:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF Quality better then last year?  (Read 1658 times)
danballa

danballa is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »

Hey people, is there any indication that new Vibram's have any higher quality of standards? (or that a soon to be made one will)

I have a couple pair, and the one used daily, (trek sports) I think is finally beyond repair. I have now had 4 different toes blow out, a couple small holes in the toes, the top have ripped, and got sewn again, both pull straps have ripped, both shoes have faded from black, to grey, I really do like the shoes, but I don't want to spend so much money on a pair of shoes that I have never ran in once. Senior aerobics is the fastest pace thing I do in them. These are the most expensive shoes I have bought to aerobics in, and they have also lasted the shortest amount of time. (about 6 months, probably 2mo longer then they should have been used) The soles are still in great shape, it's just the top half of the shoe I'm very disappointed with.

So, if anyone has any knowledge of them actually getting better, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

« on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »

danballa

danballa is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »

After doing a lot of research lately, I am thinking that Some of the problems with my trek sports, is that I did swim, and do some water work with them. I knew chlorine was bad, and I ALWAYS did wash them for 10-20 minutes after Every single time they ever touched chlorinated water, always within 30 minutes of getting out of the water.

I just wanted to add this in, as a type of full disclosure or something? I didn't want to try and deceive anyone.

BlackFoxSees

BlackFoxSees is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:50:54 AM »

Is there a long-time wearer willing to chime in here? I'm also curious about how QC has changed in the years since the Classics first came out.

I can't point you at anything specific, but various bloggers, forum-posters, and other consumer authorities seem to think that VFF quality control has gone through a few phases. Considering how quickly demand grew for these things, I don't think it's too surprising that VFF's developed a reputation for poor QC over a span of their short time on the market (2009-2010 seem worst, based on nothing but my readings of blogs and forums when I was researching them last year).

I got my KSO's in May 2011, and any worries I had have been mostly assuaged. After a ton of walking miles, hiking, boulder hopping, random structure jumping, etc, the only noticeable wear has been a small split in a big toe seam and a hole where something must have punched through the upper (cactus needles make worthy adversaries). Both of these things happened to my KSO's after more than 6 months of basically being the only shoe I wear. They aren't tanks, but my 2011 KSO's haven't disappointed.

If you wear VFF's in chlorinated (or salt) water, you should definitely rinse them afterwards every time, and preferably before they dry. This is basic maintenance for scuba gear, and I'm sure the materials are susceptible to the same kinds of damage. Chlorine and salt are pretty corrosive. (- for the benefit of other water rats. You clearly know this, danballa.)
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »

Yes they have gotten better.  Allot of the issues stemmed from them opening up a new production factory.  They had to work out the kinks of two places producing identical shoes at the same time.  They seem to have a better grasp on the quality control as well.  I think they don't let as many shoes go out with quality issues.  Mostly because they figured out for the price the customers are sticklers about the quality. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »

vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »

Dont know about the newer ones but the originals the quality was spot on im still wearing my original classics kso's and sprints. kso's and sprints have a couple hundered running miles on each, and all have whatever miles from slobbing around in them before i transitioned over and day to day wear since then as i only log running miles.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: