BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:52:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bikilas done after only 450km/280miles?  (Read 2725 times)
schmolch

schmolch is a new face.

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »

Hello all!

I got my Bikilas in February and have been running 450km (280miles) since then.
In the last couple of runs i got some blisters and the reason is that the material is thinning out and causing fluff.

If i keep increasing my milage i will have to buy new vibrams 3-4 times a year and i am too cheap to do that.
Other then that, i liked the Bikilas from the second i first used them. They have been my first minimal shoes and my first running shoes. I had been practicing barefoot running a few times before i got them and had no issues with the switch.
I wanted to increase real barefoot running anways, but running with the vibrams gives me a great peace of mind because i do not have to constantly scan the road and i can just run.

Not sure what to do now....
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »

Is the Bikila kind of a loose fit?  Perhaps wearing socks might help so that you don't have that rubbing action?

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
schmolch

schmolch is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

No, they fit very well. Im sure i could not get into one size smaller, i need 1 or 2 minutes to put them on.
I also wear socks every time, i was sockless only once and regretted it (burned my skin at a seam).
Im not the lightest though, started at 96kg and am now at 84kg.
schmolch

schmolch is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »

So after a long time i ran barefoot again (i did not really run barefoot previously, just a few times very short distances).
I did 10km after a big storm with wet roads, mud and puddles.
I never had so much fun running, this was more enjoyable then all my previous runs together.
The Vibrams are like a condom made of 4mm thick solid rubber, i dont want to wear them again unless i have to when it freezes.

I want to run again as soon as possible, i hope the bruises will heal up until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:01:30 PM by schmolch » Logged
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »

barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »

Take it easy if you are truely BARE!!!!  Your pads are not strong/tough enough for even a 1/2 mile if you are used to running in VFF's!  They still offer protection that prevents your pads from thickening enough to handle pounding the pavement.

To your original topic...  I do not consider myself a runner compared to most on here, but used to go through 2-3 pairs of sneakers a year plus my "special" orthotics to a tune of hundreds of dollars a year....  My feet have cost me nothing, orthotics have been gone for two years, and my bad weather KSO's still are holding up well.  A few "runners" that I know that have not embraced the barefoot way, change their sneaks every 300-400 miles.  Two of them go through 5-6 pairs a year depending on how many events they run in.....   So, sneaks or Vff's, running can be expensive......   

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
schmolch

schmolch is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »

Just a quick update.
After removing the fluff i did not get anymore blisters.
Meanwhile i have over 700km and the shoe is still working fine.

ultrarunner100

ultrarunner100 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »

Is this a quality issue?
I have only 94 miles on my Bikila LS, but already after running a 54K ultra on stone dust trails I found that the rubber on the left big toe is getting worn down significantly. No issues inside the shoes yet; have been running w/o socks.
I'm just wondering if this is the trend for every running shoe; get them made of the cheapest materials, with the cheapest labor (China), and still sell them for a premium price. We love them, so we will keep buying new ones!

I bought mine from RoadRunner Sports with their VIP 90-day money back/replacement promise. Let's see what happens when I take my Bikila LS's back for replacement after 60 days, and only 200 miles! If I get another pr, then I'm OK with it. As long as I can get at least 500 miles out of them I'll be happy.

I would love to transition to completely barefoot, but with winter approaching, I think I'd better wait until spring to start doing that.

Hope your issues work out OK.

Dailydose

Dailydose is a new face.

Runnin in the dark winter morns

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »

My Bikilas split where the rubber meets the fabric along the big toe.  Both pairs.
I'll never buy them again.  Shoddy construction/poor design.
Go with KSO.  Much more robust design and more minimalist approach.  Plus, a better fit.

Bikilas, mud colored now.
KSO Trek, black on black on black on black.
Terra Plana Vivobarefoot EVO II blue/light blue.
Merrell Trail Glove Embark Gore Tex, black and blue.
KSO originals.  Gym shoes/indoor use for the winter.
theisgroup

theisgroup is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »

i have 350+mi on my bikila's and they are still going. not had very many problems with them. i did have the material wearing where the seams of the straps meet the body of the shoe. i used a cloths shaver to cut out all the material that was loose. and they are good to go. i suspect i should get another 350+ before i wear through the sole. i have some where, but that is from me and my not so perfect fore foot form. i tend to drop my heel and have some wear on the outside of both heals. but that was at the beginning. i have not seen much change to the sole in the last 2months.

I did however purchase 2 more pairs of bikila's in the LS format because i love the idea of the speed lace. the stap of my bikila's tend to gap just a little. i have a wide and cubby foot and the LS just seam to hold my foot better and went to 1 size smaller. it feel more like a glove then my bikila's.

just love these shoes and have not have any spliting of the sole from the body of the shoe anywhere. but i wear socks in mine and have never had to wash mine. I have rinsed off the soles from mud and such, but i did it by hand. no machine.
FL Runner

FL Runner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this thread.

I just hit the 750 mile mark on my Bikilas and have not had any problems with blisters (I prefer without socks). I too run around 85-90Kg and used to switch out my shoes in the 400M range.

I also noticed the material breakdown in the shoe, the insole right around the ball and a little bit in the heel. I just wash them once a week by hand and use my fingernails to scrape at these areas to make sure there is no loose material. . I do have wear on the sole that seems to mirror the insole breakdown, ball of foot and little bit in the heel area. I plan on sticking with these until I wear all the way through  Grin  I see no reason why these won't last past 1,000 miles, very happy with them.

I do however rotate running in my Bikilas with NB Minimus Trails (also without socks), still believe in the method of rotating shoes to allow them to dry fully between runs. This works well for the easy/hard day routine, I use Bikilas for easy days and long runs and try to stay off road and the NB work great for Tempo/Pace/Interval typle workouts. The NB Trails just passed 400 miles and so far they are holding up great too! I do plan on adding the NB Zero's soon as they come out though, very excited about these.

All in all I've enjoyed the switch to minimilast type shoes, but the best benefit (in my frugile ways) is cost savings!

"I just felt like running." - Forrest Gump
Opportunity is often passed up because it is disguised as hard work.
RayKay

RayKay is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:43:09 PM »

You can see my signature for how many miles I have got out of my first two pairs. I was incredibly impressed by how much I got out of them! The first pair was still fine when I retired them, except for some wearing down of some of the pods on certain areas and through to sole a bit (including where I "kiss my heel" as I tend to slip my heel a bit as I pick it back up), and some surgery with shoe glue where sole joined material on sides.  There was also a bit of material breakdown inside the shoe at the seam where the inside sole joined the heel cup so that the material was "gone" in a couple places.  I just wanted a change, and am not that frugal so as to try and get another few hundred miles out of them!  Cheesy

The second pair are still fine and could probably go another 600-800+ miles, but have been taken over due to my preference for my LS version. Since my feet are so narrow, I found I had to winch the strap over to point where I ended up with a pressure point at outside of strap area. The LS were originally thought to be great for wider feet, but I find it works great for my very narrow ones, too! I also just like the fit better.

I'll add that even the "toe protectors" remained intact on both pairs!

I wear them for daily running, with socks, and without rotation (unlike what I did with my old cushioned shoes - those I would buy two pairs of, and rotate everyday, and replace after about 8-10 months them combined...I would get more than 400 miles out of them as I am fairly light and efficient - I usually pushed it to 600+ per pair).

I find it interesting how many sized down for the LS version from what I read on the forums, as I got the same size in the LS version but it fits a lot shorter in the toes (in the originals, I have room in my toes - a tiny bit at end of big toe and a little more at end of others - in the LS I have NO room left at ends of big and second toes! I have no problems with getting them on though. The very snug fit works well for running, but I notice when I lift weights after a run my toes feel like they might burst out ends at times, ha). I compared the LS to the originals sole to sole, and I swear the toes are shorter in the LS. If I sized down my foot would not fit at all (but perhaps people with originals sized up before, whereas I did not). I don't want to size up though either, as I have such narrow feet and I found going up just leaves my feet swimming.

After the "first generation" I also have not had any of the issues with the material separating from the sole - it appears they improved the bonding/glue process. Even so, it was an easy fix with some shoe glue before. Once this was done I had no further issues.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:49:25 PM by RayKay » Logged

VFF's: KSOx2, Treks, Bikila x2, Bikila LS, Jaya LR x3, Spyridon LS, Komodosports LS x3, Signa
Non-VFF's: Soft Star Ramblers, Merry Janes, Phoenix, Roos (with TLS), VivoBarefoot Vienna Boots, Off Road Hi's, Neo Trails, Jing Jings x3, Merrell Wonder Gloves x2, Konvines x2
tak555

tak555 is starting to look familiar.tak555 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 02:57:17 AM »

yah i think i have about 300 miles on my current bikilas and i still have a ton of life left in them... not sure what's going on with yours

i stole this from member Ableobject... but it's cool:
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
Stumps

Stumps is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

I'm interested in whether Dailydose has experienced the same issue as me with his Bikilas.  I've had mine since May 2011 and have run on average probably 2-3 times a week, including 2 full marathons, 1 half and a couple of 10 kms.  I noticed the splitting on the inside of the big toe and the adjacent toe around late Nov/Dec time.  I'm currently exchanging emails with the fourth addressee so far at vibram.it (where I bought them from), I'm after a repair or a replacement, so far they just seem to be concerned with what I have been using them for - they're designed for running, aren't they?@#!

I've uploaded some photos to Flickr.com:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69248267@N05/sets/72157629120304765/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: