BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 11:18:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My KSO's are great, except for the cuts they're leaving on my feet  (Read 2878 times)
yourdailyjingle

yourdailyjingle is a new face.

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »

I've been running with the KSO's for a few months. I like them, except for the fact that they're cutting my feet on the inside of my arches, on both feet. Not even blisters, just cuts. I thought my feet would just callous up in those areas, but the cuts have just gotten worse and more painful. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any recommendations (linings on the inside, toeless socks, etc.)?

Thanks!

http://www.yourdailyjingle.com
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »

orlin03

orlin03 is starting to look familiar.orlin03 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »

Toe socks or toeless yoga socks could help. How tight are you making the straps? Most of us started out making them tighter than they needed to be; the strap usually doesn't need to be so tight. Have you noticed any seams that might be to blame? I've never even gotten a serious blister from mine, only minor discomfort in certain areas when I was getting used to them.

yourdailyjingle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »

I've been strapping them more tightly after I started getting blisters/cuts, thinking it would reduce slippage and rubbing. I'll try them a bit looser next time. Yes, it's probably caused by the seams, which have material sticking out into the shoe along the entire seam. And that's about where the painful spots are.
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »

I've been strapping them more tightly after I started getting blisters/cuts, thinking it would reduce slippage and rubbing. I'll try them a bit looser next time. Yes, it's probably caused by the seams, which have material sticking out into the shoe along the entire seam. And that's about where the painful spots are.

You could try trimming excess material off the seams.  I'm trying to think if there's any kind of overlay you could do at the trouble spot -- like a little patch or something over the seam.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »

orlin03

orlin03 is starting to look familiar.orlin03 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »

You could try trimming excess material off the seams.  I'm trying to think if there's any kind of overlay you could do at the trouble spot -- like a little patch or something over the seam.

or a line of shoe goo smoothed out with your finger over the seam perhaps?

jaydeflix

jaydeflix is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »

Hopefully you're still watching email on this thread... I had the same problem myself.

Started when I ran a half marathon in the rain on a practice run and it got worse after that just because the wound was already there. What fixed it for me was body gliding the heck out of my feet, especially that one line.

Actually, since the shoes are 'tight', I body glide my foot stem to stern, put the shoe on, take the shoe off and body glide again. The cut went away and it's been dry since, so no more cuts, but if it's a wet/rainy day, I'll body glide that spot in particular.
yourdailyjingle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:53:59 AM »

Hey, thanks for the ideas! I'll look into the body glide. I also noticed that if I didn't strap them so tight to my feet, they didn't cut my feet anymore. So now every time I run I'm looking for the sweet spot between maximum support without cutting into my feet.
kuo34

kuo34 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »

I'm having the same issue with the KSO.  It's leaving a nasty hot spot on my arch in the same spot on both sides.  There's a nice seam there in the KSO, so I went in and trimmed excess material and loose threads off (there were loose threads there on both sides, perhaps they finish the seam there on both shoes?).  I'm going to use some cloth glue and moleskin to cover up the seam, as I'd rather not pop moleskin on my feet for every run.
kuo34

kuo34 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:03 PM »

The moleskin didn't work. It just rolled up into an exaggerated seam.  Fabric softener when laundering my KSOs seemed to make a huge difference - no hot spots on today's run.
dredone

dredone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »

I will vote for BodyGlide.  Works for my blisters. Grin

I also tried Moleskin but it is difficult to apply and put on my VFF without rolling up.
tak555

tak555 is starting to look familiar.tak555 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 03:00:49 PM »

like a lot of people on here, i had the exact same problem with my kso's... regardless of other peoples' experiences, i found that the only thing that really helps is wearing toe socks. 

however, i wear my bikila's sockless... the insole is much better on them. 

i stole this from member Ableobject... but it's cool:
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
crashnburn

crashnburn is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »

I just put on my VFF KSOs last night. Felt amazing but...

1) Felt some wierdness / protrusion inside one shoe near the inner side.

Its somewhere in the area where the Arch ends and the Heel begins towards the Inner Bottom Edge (if I can call it that) of the Foot.

Its present in the left one, but very prominent in the right one.

I hope its not a defect... Maybe you guys can help me figured that out.
Please guide me so I can check that these VFFs do not have any "manufacturing defects".

I bought it from REI.com, had it shipped to someone and had them bring it when they flew to India.

2) Is there an article / guide on how to condition your FEET / LEGS on using VFFs ...for a newbie. Some kind of initiation program?
tak555

tak555 is starting to look familiar.tak555 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 01:34:11 AM »

the weirdness you describe, is it basically the seem on the arch?  i've found that to be fairly common in these shoes... is it a defect?  no, not necessarily, maybe more like a design flaw.  like i said above, when i run in my kso's and ramp up the mileage (4 miles +), i inevitably get blisters from the constant rubbing.  the ONLY fix for me is to wear socks with them, which i don't like to do.

regarding your transitioning question... there are a ton of threads on the topic here at birthdayshoes.com... basically, TAKE IT SLOW! it will take a long time for your feet to 'wake up'.  i'll look around for some threads that might help...

i stole this from member Ableobject... but it's cool:
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: