BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:14:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sock Mod?  (Read 3539 times)
monsterbuck

monsterbuck is a new face.

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »

I know there at least a couple military members here on the forum.  Have any of you modified any "regular" socks to work with your VFF's to ensure compliance with regulations(PT for instance)?

I don't really want to buy injinji's if I'll only be using them once or twice a month.  I thought maybe just cutting the end off a pair of socks would work, but just wanted to see if anyone else had done it and if so, what kind of results you got.

The questions isn't just posed to the military members, I just thought maybe they'd be more likely to do it.  Info from anyone would be appreciated!!

"We don't have a lot of time on this earth. We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."  -Office Space
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »

beyondpsyche

beyondpsyche is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:24:01 PM »

I'm Air Force. I cut the top portion of a pair of socks off, leaving just enough to tuck in my KSO's. I tuck maybe a quarter inch in the front and a half inch on the heel. It has worked beautifully. I haven't had any issues with them coming untucked. I used this for a couple of months. Recently I purchased some Injinji socks to help combat stench in both my KSO's and my combat boots so I just use the Injinji's now. It changes the feeling for sure, but not horribly so. If you feel like 12 bucks is worth it, buy a pair of white mini-crew Injinji's (the super thin liner version does not come in white). Other wise just cut up an old pair of socks. I also have a brand new pair of Bikila's I just bought. I love how the inside feels and it's so nice and tight I don't think my socks would fit so I may go back to the cut up socks for them. Some people on my base just don't even both with the socks. I don't want to take the chance.
noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:38:57 AM »

I recently cut a pair of old socks to try them with my Treks. The purpose was to cover the space between my running pants and foot. The back tucks into the heel and the front i put across the strap before placing the upper strap on top. They stay right in place. Bottom line: I was doing it for the cold weather, but it really is too cold for my toes in 36F and colder.

Nol
monsterbuck

monsterbuck is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:45:09 AM »

I haven't tried it yet, not wearing them in pt gear just yet.  Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely have to try the tuck method, as my Bikilas are also a perfect fit without socks.

"We don't have a lot of time on this earth. We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."  -Office Space
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:45:09 AM »

moosepaws

moosepaws is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »

I've tried it, just to avoid buying several $12 pairs of socks!  I cut 2 holes in the toe of regular, somewhat thin socks: one for the big toe, one for the other toes, leaving just enough strap in between to keep it from sliding back my foot. Think "flip flop"-esque.

And because it can't be said enough -
to monsterbuck, beyondpsyche, and all the military members on these boards, and everywhere... thank you

With EDS, barefoot has been my best chance of staying upright, and unbroken!

Barefoot for 3 years and counting, thanks to:
Sprint - Black
Classic - Stormy Sea
Bikila LS - Gray/Blue
Jaya - White, Painted Paisley!
KMD LS - Black/Pink
TrekSport - Pink
Classic - Mauve
Jaya - Black
Jaya - NEW
delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »

I never had to do a sock mod, I just bought the toe socks. On amazon they have the micro crew inijini socks for 8$ and some changes. Plus buy enough free shipping. I have just slowly acquired enough pair that I have enough.

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
Sasquatchfeet

Sasquatchfeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »

Same, I haven't tried any sock mods either. I slowly bought pairs of injinji's. Plus, whenever my feet get wet in my VFF's, which they are more prone to than regular shoes, the injinji's do an excellent job at wicking away the moisture.
lp8256

lp8256 is a new face.

RLTW!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »

US Army here.
Thought about doing the sock mod, never got around to it.
I actually have a profile that allows me to wear my VFFs for PT.
I didn't just bluntly ask the Doc for one. I spent around 15 minutes talking about my knee pain during and after running. The Doc actually brought up minimalist shoes. I told him that I have been running in VFFs over a year off-duty and have no knee pain. The Doc actually asked me if a profile allowing VFFs for PT would help, I graciously accepted.  Grin
I am a Company 1SG, I have been asked and have spent an inordinate amout of time explaining the benefits of running in VFFs.
I would say, conservatively, 50% of my Company now wears VFFs off-duty.
I like to think they are emulating me and it's not the healthy benefits of the shoes.........  Wink

Until the Military comes around, try covertly convincing your Doc that you can only run in VFFs.
Best of luck!

RLTW!
morgan_4785

morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.

live free or die hard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »

i did it with a pair of scout socks so i could have an "example uniform" for the scouts. worked well IMO

jesus Saves
Feet are the greatest piece of technology ever. guess who made them? God
runner92037

runner92037 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »

I'm not really sure I understand the sock mod.  So you cut the holes for your toes to stick out but isn't there a strange feeling from the material between your toes that's more like a wedgie?  Also most of my socks have a heel in them, so did you have to buy smaller socks to do this?  Just curious...
morgan_4785

morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.

live free or die hard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »

I'm not really sure I understand the sock mod.  So you cut the holes for your toes to stick out but isn't there a strange feeling from the material between your toes that's more like a wedgie?  Also most of my socks have a heel in them, so did you have to buy smaller socks to do this?  Just curious...

no, you just cut the end off. so the sock ends around the ball of your foot

jesus Saves
Feet are the greatest piece of technology ever. guess who made them? God
Dexter_Morgan23

Dexter_Morgan23 is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »

for me I cut the tops off the socks, and then sewed right in between my big toe and second toe to keep it from sliding up. And then put another dozen stitches between the pinkie toe and the next one. No worries about odd bundling Cheesy

And I just use my regular sock size

~Dexter
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:46:24 PM by Dexter_Morgan23 » Logged

Proud owner of my first pair of Red Remix KSOs as of 08/12/11 at 12:13 pm Cheesy
Leming Natural Origins, Invisible shoes 6mm and 4mm, Altra Adam, Altra Samson (March 5thish), Newton MV2, Aguias Spartan 1
www.minimalistandlovingit.blogspot.com
www.barefootfarm.org Support the Tarahumara
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: