BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 21, 2014, 04:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed Mod For The Wide Footed  (Read 3230 times)
bbeaton

bbeaton is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »

So I'll update this later if anyone would like more information, but I don't know how much really needs to be said.  

Slight backstory...
I wear a Men's 9.5 4E running shoe, and truth be told probably need a 6E.  I got my first pair of KSOs, and fell in love instantly!  Finally! A shoe that fits my foot.  Since then, I have had mixed results with other VFFs that cover the top of the foot.  The Bikilas and Treks were the bane of my existence.  I wear a M40, and couldn't fit my right foot in a M40 or M41!  I barely fit in an M42 because of my high arch/wide foot/girth-y foot.  When the Speeds came out, I fell in love. I waited for them to come to the states, and ordered the M40s.  BAM!  No go, way too tight.  Okay, M41s it is. They arrive, partial success!  The left one is great!  The right one feels like my big toe is going to fall off.  The top of my foot is pinched due to the leather strip that goes around the tongue and eyelets.  Something had to be done!

Solution...
1 pair of scissors
knowledge that I could potentially be ruining a pair of shoes I've owned for less than 30 minutes
1 angry speed (right foot)

It's exactly what it looks like.  In a fit of rage and exploration, I cut two straight cuts through the leather like material on the top of the midfoot.  If the shoe is off, I cut straight down until I hit the white material that has "Vibram" sewed into it.  I did it on both sides to relieve any uneven tension.  Problem solved, now there is plenty of relief in the shoe, and my foot can freely move.  I may cut the left one so it matches, but I haven't decided yet.  

I'm going for a run to test them out, I just wanted to let everyone know that the Speed can be a comfortable shoe, even for wide footed people.  I'm more than happy to take better pictures from different angles, just req below. I'll follow up if there is any tearing that occurs after my run.  5 miles down and no extra tears.  Ran though a puddle, my socks are black now.

Update:
after looking at the shoe, maybe I didn't need to cut the black and white layers.  Oh well.  Next person should try cutting just the black layer with a razor blade and see if that relieves any pressure.  No extra tearing at all with cutting both layers.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:19:23 PM by bbeaton » Logged
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

You are far braver than I.  I up sized from a M41 to a M42 and the discomfort I felt in the M41 disappeared.  Lucky for me, as I could never bring myself to cut into a brand new $100 pair of shoes.  I did not notice any difference in the toe length between the two sizes, but did gain the width I desperately needed.  It was actually the salesman's recommendation.  He measured my foot using the stores measuring device, and not the Vibram big footprint, and he concluded I'd be better fit in a M42 because of my foot width.  He was right.  Love them so far.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
kaydee

kaydee is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »

Oh my gosh! Aren't your afraid, some of the stitching adjacent to the cut might unstitch itsself?
I bow to your bravery!
Bango Skank

Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.

master of the five fingered discount :O

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
-Buddha
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »

bbeaton

bbeaton is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

I am a man :-) And as a man I make stupid, yet rational split-second decisions.  "This shoe is too tight. Right here. Maybe if I cut it? Ahh better." 

In my mind, I love the Speed enough to make them fit as comfortably as possible.  I wanted to love my bikilas, but I never have. And it's because they're too tight across the top of the foot.  I see way more potential in the Speeds, and want to give them the opportunity to succeed.  Maybe it's from trail running, or skateboarding for so many years, but I'm no stranger to thrashing/destroying shoes.  I took one look at these and said, "worst case scenario, needle/thread and shoe goo can fix these." 

I'll update if/when the shoe completely fails, but I took them on a 10 mile trail run today with steady incline and branches, and the cuts haven't spread. 
kaydee

kaydee is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »

The first sentence of your reply made me think of the book "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" one interesting thing that's pointed out in it is, that men think and work very solution oriented, whrereas women need to ponder and talk about the problem and the way to the solution first.
So one could say you made a manly decision.  Wink

Great that the material is obviously holding out. I think, that speaks for the quality of the material.
Enjoy your runs!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »

@ bbeaton

Have you ever tried on the Bikila LS?  I found them to be awesome when I tried them, but I did not buy them because I only had one 20% off coupon and a limited VFF budget, both of which I was saving for the Speeds.  If the Speeds hadn't been slated to release in the US market June 1st, I certainly would be sporting the Bikila LS.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:55:14 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

bbeaton

bbeaton is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »

I actually bought them when the first came out!  I got a M40 though and they were too tight, so I ended up trading with someone on this board for a pair of M41 Bikilas.  I would love to try them again though.  I'm getting to the point where I'm having a hard time justifying another pair.  I do love my speeds, and after a few weeks now, they seem to be holding up great w/ no signs of tearing. 

I say that now, but the second I see them go on sale, I'll snag a M41 for sure...
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »

I hear you on the the whole justifying another pair.  I just got my Speeds for Father's day, so I am not going to be able to get any more for a while.  I really liked the feel of the Bikila LS when I tried them on, but I knew the Speeds were about to release so I waited for those.  I am not a runner, so did not necessarily need the Bikila LS.  If the Speeds hadn't been slated to hit the US shelves June 1st, I might have gotten them.  Now, I think I will wait for the Komodosport LS and/or the Trek LS.

407guy

407guy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

I did not notice any difference in the toe length between the two sizes, but did gain the width I desperately needed. 

Interesting.  I just posted a question similar to your post here.  I have M40 Bikilas and just got the M40 Speeds.  The Speeds are really tight across the end of the toes area (not tips) and wondered if the M41 would give me more width to possibly lessen the pressure.  I'm not sure if they are supposed to be "tight" as much as they are right now.  I don't think the toe length is the issue.  My big toe seems to be at the end but I don't feel discomfort from it -- unless it's just masked right now by the tightness I'm feeling in both feet when wearing the M40 Speeds.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »

I would definitely try the M41 in Speeds and see if they give you the width you need.  I did not notice any increase in toe length when I upsized, but every pair is different so your results may vary.  I honestly thought the saleperson was off his rocker when he suggested upsizing.  I thought they'd be excessively long, after allI was supposed to take an M40 according to Vibram and he was pushing me towards M42.  I am 100% satisified and glad that I went M42 over the cramped M41 that I had tried on.

Bango Skank

Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.Bango Skank is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »

Just went to a brick and mortar that has Speeds and I sized up to a 42 from 40 as well.  Basically I took my normal European size (42.5) and sized down a half size.

-Buddha
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »

@ Bango Skank

At least I am not the only one that needed to do so.  Did you need to upsize for width or do you just think the sizing chart is that far off?

Bango Skank

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

@ Bango Skank

At least I am not the only one that needed to do so.  Did you need to upsize for width or do you just think the sizing chart is that far off?

Width was fine in both 40 and 41, I upsized for length.

-Buddha
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »

Width was fine in both 40 and 41, I upsized for length.

Funny, I upsized for width and did not notice any difference in length.  Big toe feels the same.  Maybe other toes have more room and are just too short to notice.  Interesting how the sizing runs on these.  Do you measure normally at M40, 10 1/4?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:41:53 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: