BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 30, 2014, 06:11:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using your toaster to break in fivefingers!  (Read 1694 times)
erpman

erpman is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2012, 05:52:01 AM »

This is a technique that you can use if you bought your fivefingers tight and want them to fit like a surgical glove, or if you want them to break in faster. Do it at your own risk. Itīs very simple:

1) Place your toaster on the floor and open the window (to ventilate smell)
2) Put on your fivefingers, and turn on the toaster to maximum effect (donīt put bread in  Wink)
3) With your fivefingers on, place your foot just above the bread-slits in the toaster, and heat up the forefoot part until you feel the heat through the sole.
4) Immediately place the hot shoe on the floor, put all your weight on it, and push the toes into the ground while lifting your heel. This will cause the rubber in the sole to stretch under your forefoot and around the toes. Hold this position for a while, and walk around a bit while the shoe is cooling down. 
5) Wait until the shoe has cooled down to evaluate the fit. Repeat if necessary.

Itīs better to repeat the process a couple of times rather than heating the sole too much as this can cause the glue in the shoe to melt. You can of course also use it on other parts of the shoe that you want to break in, or change the position to tailor it to your stride and running form.

Good Luck!

« on: June 05, 2012, 05:52:01 AM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »

Or you could just wear them until they break in?

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
erpman

erpman is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »

Or you can just break them in faster this way?
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »

I am surprised that a toaster would generate enough heat to make a big difference.  Maybe it is just the thinness of the sole on the See-ya.  There are a lot of Morton toe mods using heat guns, so maybe this is a viable alternative. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »

Mr Leigh, I am able to do a Morton's toe mod with just a hairdryer. It doesn't take much to soften up enough to make it stretchable. With the wooden spoon inside and a clip to hold the stretched toe in position, just a little heating up is enough. I have no doubt erpman's technique works well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:32:38 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:41 PM »

You could just use a heat gun like for vacuum bagging and shrink wrap? It would be less of a fire hazard.

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »

Or......  just find some nice hot asphalt, sand, or rocks and go for a walk/climb.  They'll break in just fine..... Wink

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
happyfeet

happyfeet is a new face.

Barefoot since 1970

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »

Mr Leigh, I am able to do a Morton's toe mod with just a hairdryer. It doesn't take much to soften up enough to make it stretchable. With the wooden spoon inside and a clip to hold the stretched toe in position, just a little heating up is enough. I have no doubt erpman's technique works well.

Thanks for the tip!  After wearing only VFFs for 8 months now, I have noticed my toes are straightening out and I need a little extra room for them in some of my VFFs (even though the footbed still fits perfectly).  I will give this a try! 

"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Wanted: Grados - Size: 38
cincodeos

cincodeos is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »

The way I do the Morton's toe mod is with a wood stick and the clothe dryer. In 20 minutes its done. I tried the hair dryer but required too many attempts. Also tryed to size up from 45 to 46 on Komodos but didn't succed.

CincoDeos
Trujillo Alto, PR, USA
Vibram FiveFingers: --Sprints, TrekSport (x2), KMDSport LS, Trek LS, KMDSport(x2), Spyridon LS, Speeds, KSO (x2), Classics, KSO Treks (x4), Bikila, Treksport Sandals
Vivobarefoot: Ra (x5), Evo, Gobi, Hybrid, Jay
Lems; NB Minimus; Tune ; Altra Superior, Provission
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

You have to leave the wooden spoon in the shoes with the clip on the tip of the second toe for a few hours while it cools down after it's been softened by the hair dryer.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: