BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 29, 2014, 06:53:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st jog  (Read 563 times)
luckygal813

luckygal813 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:11 PM »

I got my sprints yesterday and I was a good girl... I only did a 1/4 mile w/ my VFF's on. But I was feeling so comfortable! So, I did 1+ mile in them this morning. Smiley
It was so nice and easy! I probably would've gone further if I didn't have to get to work.
I feel like I stretched my hamstrings, in a good way. I also feel like I worked more ankle muscles than I have in a long time. I've been stretching my hamstrings, ankles & tops of feet throughout the day. Hopefully, I won't hurt too much in the morning!

"Nothing great was ever achieved without ENTHUSIASM" - R. W. Emerson
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:11 PM »

pedalpavementpounder

pedalpavementpounder is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »

Slow down...you're starting out a bit fast. It might feel fun now, not so much when you've got injuries later from too much too soon.  Just search that phrase on the forums.  a mile already is way too much.

Welcome to birthday shoes... Smiley
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:18:53 AM »

Yeah, definitely slow down and ease off on the distance.  I did too much too soon (TMTS) and ended up with top of the foot pain (TOFP) and was sideline for two weeks and it was about a month before I could handle running in VFFs again.  Some folks here on the forums ended up with metatarsal stress fractures because of TMTS.  If you run four times per week, then for your first two weeks or so, you should only run in your VFFs once per week, twice at the most.  Then after a few weeks you can add another day of VFF running.  I did a much slower transition than that, and after seven months I was running in minimalist shoes full time.

The transition may seem like a long time, but it's well worth it.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
luckygal813

luckygal813 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »

OK   I'll use my crumby 'normal' shoes for a few more weeks. I appreciate everyone's advice Smiley
Ya know, you (I) always think "that won't happen to me" or "I'm different" or "I've BEEN doin' it this way".... but it's not true. You (meaning ME) are just like everybody else. I don't wanna end up injured, so I'll slow it down. Thanks guys!

"Nothing great was ever achieved without ENTHUSIASM" - R. W. Emerson
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »

Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »

If you haven't already, go out and do some real barefoot running on some smooth concrete.  It'll help you find the right form for you, and will help strengthen your feet.  It'll also keep you from doing too much, too soon.  I also thought I was fine without doing that when I started using VFFs, but poor form and doing too much injured me several times.  Let your skin be your guide for a few weeks, at least.  You'll be much better off in VFFs after some time barefoot.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: