BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 24, 2014, 01:43:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another New One!  (Read 677 times)
Freerunner

Freerunner is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »

Hi everyone, just joined and am looking forward to some great discussions.  I just started transitioning into VFF's (classics) in training for my November marathon and am looking for advice.  I've done many marathons in the past, but am excited about this new change.  I'm wondering if I jumped in too quickly.  Was walking with them for a couple of weeks, then started gradual mileage (maybe 2 - 4 in a week, in addition to shod).  Last Saturday I ran 5 in the VFF, and then 7 in my Asics.  My calves are extremely sore as well as the top of my left foot.  Too much too soon?  Thanks for the feedback.
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »

BigR

BigR is starting to look familiar.BigR is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »

Welcome! Sounds normal the left foot pain sounds like normal transitioning arch pain but go to our VFF running/natural running category I'm sure you can find a better answer than what i can give you!

"The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot."
I want to smother the guy who said we need arch support...
inbetweenmytoes

inbetweenmytoes is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »

Welcome to the boards... I'm afraid that the best advice I can give is advice I'm struggling at taking. I have been training for an Ultra, and I am trying to keep to a training schedule in my FiveFingers. I have been dealing with top of the foot pain since the first month, but because I am not willing to slow too much from my schedule, it hasn't had the time to heal. The pain doesn't effect me while running, just a day or two after. Take it slow. Give yourself time to heal, and your muscles will catch up. With a goal like a Marathon in November, it may be difficult to hold back like you really need to. Good luck.

Nathan
inbetweenmytoes.com

"Your possessions should set you free like a boat or a pair of hiking boots. If you work for your possessions and they don't set you free, what are you working for?"  Billy Harris
I know... replace hiking boots w/ VFF
Freerunner

Freerunner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »

Thanks BigR and inbetween. I appreciate the advice.  Question for inbetween - I'm already in pretty good shape for a marathon, physically (already completed GOOFY this year).  Do you think that a November attempt is too aggressive?  I'm also currently alternating between my Asics and VFFs.  Do you see that as a problem?  Thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »

inbetweenmytoes

inbetweenmytoes is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »

Question for inbetween - I'm already in pretty good shape for a marathon, physically (already completed GOOFY this year).  Do you think that a November attempt is too aggressive?  I'm also currently alternating between my Asics and VFFs.  Do you see that as a problem?  Thanks

From my own experience, I think it's doable, but being ready for a shod marathon may make the transition harder as you may need to cut down significantly on your mileage. Everyone transitions differently. Prior running gate, muscle development, etc can mean the difference between weeks, even months of transitioning. Something that I have incorporated into my training is an actual barefoot run each week. I am up o 4-5 miles at a time. Nothing has given me as immediate feedback to adjusting and tweaking my running form as these runs. A problem with VFF is that the rubber sole dulls the sensitivity to the ground and running process enough that it's easy to overdue a run and increase the chance of injury. Let's face it. It's just way to fun to run in them. Throwing in a barefoot run on pavement or cement can help you understand what your feet are really ready for. I'm no coach, but because you asked, I'm sharing these thoughts. Google Jason Robillard or Michael Sandler for their resources for transitioning. In fact, Justin shared a guest post from Michael Sandler and Jessica Lee regarding transitioning not to long ago. Check it out.

Nathan
inbetweenmytoes.com

"Your possessions should set you free like a boat or a pair of hiking boots. If you work for your possessions and they don't set you free, what are you working for?"  Billy Harris
I know... replace hiking boots w/ VFF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: