BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:35:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barefoot on a treadmill?  (Read 647 times)
luckygal813

luckygal813 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

I've been given the very good advice to get acclimated with running barefoot before I end up hurting myself in the VFF's. However, I don't have what I would consider an ideal spot to do so. I'm at the start of the running season, so I typically stay on the treadmill until I'm more comfortable with my pace. I think that a run on a grassy or dirt trail would be best for barefoot running, but I don't have those close by. Should I start out barefoot on the treadmill??

"Nothing great was ever achieved without ENTHUSIASM" - R. W. Emerson
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »

One of my clients, a former Dallas Cowboy and holder of the fastest man in the NFL title, was having trouble running.  After he explained his problem to me, I instructed him to relearn how to run on a treadmill while barefoot.  He stared at me like a cow at a new gate, but tried it anyway.  Within 2 weeks, his injuries healed and he was almost back up to his performance speed.  I highly recommend barefoot treadmill running, but you must take it slow, slow, slow, and listen to your body!  Know when to stop if your body tells you to do so.  Also, proper nutrition, rest, and supplementation helps in the course of recovery.
Mark Sisson, author of the Primal Blueprint, runs barefoot on a treadmill as well, and sometimes uses socks.

Be well!

DrBig74
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »

It's okay, but not a substitute for the hard outside surfaces and it doesn't allow all your muscles to re-develop since you are not flexing over terrain.  Soft surfaces may seem best, but they won't help you learn to run light.  In my opinion, the harder the better at the begining as it keeps you from doing too much to soon.  When your feet are tired it is time to stop.  I run bare on the treadmill when the weather is bad but I keep the mileage down.  Until your foot pads thicken take it easy and LISTEN to your body!  If you smell something burning, look down, it's your feet....

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
luckygal813

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »

One of my clients, a former Dallas Cowboy and holder of the fastest man in the NFL title, was having trouble running.  After he explained his problem to me, I instructed him to relearn how to run on a treadmill while barefoot.  He stared at me like a cow at a new gate, but tried it anyway.  Within 2 weeks, his injuries healed and he was almost back up to his performance speed.  I highly recommend barefoot treadmill running, but you must take it slow, slow, slow, and listen to your body!  Know when to stop if your body tells you to do so.  Also, proper nutrition, rest, and supplementation helps in the course of recovery.
Mark Sisson, author of the Primal Blueprint, runs barefoot on a treadmill as well, and sometimes uses socks.

Wow! Well, professional advice for free. I will gladly follow this. Thank you Smiley
PS- I love your wife's quote

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »

luckygal813

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:21:57 AM »

It's okay, but not a substitute for the hard outside surfaces and it doesn't allow all your muscles to re-develop since you are not flexing over terrain.  Soft surfaces may seem best, but they won't help you learn to run light.  In my opinion, the harder the better at the begining as it keeps you from doing too much to soon.  When your feet are tired it is time to stop.  I run bare on the treadmill when the weather is bad but I keep the mileage down.  Until your foot pads thicken take it easy and LISTEN to your body!  If you smell something burning, look down, it's your feet....
Thanks for the input. I think I do run pretty light already, I can ONLY land on my forefoot. I'm incapable of running any other way. But my feet are quite tender! I know I need to thicken my skin A LOT. So, would it be better to start on the treadmill... build up a little... THEN take it outdoors? I can't even imagine going right to the paved road with the sensitivity of my feet right now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: