BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 19, 2014, 07:49:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally free from the confines of "normal" shoes!  (Read 296 times)
Joel S

Joel S is a new face.

Toe wigglin'

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »

Greetings,

Been lurking for a while, figured I'd register and contribute a little bit.

I recently switched to VFFs on a bit of a whim. Little back story: I had been running in a pair of Brooks Trance 9s on the recommendation of a running store in my area, and they were nothing but trouble. I ended up on crutches with pretty serious pain in my right foot, ankle and heel. I was just running, and the pain shot up my heel, didn't step on anything, didn't twist my ankle, nothing... my foot hit the ground, and then I did. X-rays were negative, Achilles was intact, docs couldn't find anything seriously damaged, so they recommended rest, crutches, and ice. Considering my prior experience with crutches involved me falling off my porch when I was a kid, I wasn't stoked. Months and months later, I started running again with my gf, and at the end of a run I had similar pain in my left ankle/foot, only not as severe. Since then, my runs in those shoes have always involved some sort of pain/discomfort while out, it was just a matter of how severe... Aside from that, I was beginning to have problems with a pair of my casual shoes. One day after a long day on my feet playing shows (moonlight as a musician), I could hardly walk due to pain in my right foot.

I had begun seeing things suggesting that my shoes were likely the crux of the issue, so my GF grabbed a pair of Bikilas for me. After adjusting sizes (she got them while I was out of town, needed to go a size up), and giving myself a week to get accustom to them, I went out for my first run, and was super stoked that I had NO pain during, or after the run... aside from sore feet. Unfortunately, my zeal meant I pushed too hard, too soon, and developed tendonitis in my feet. So again, I was gimping around for a little bit. Sad

I'm just about healed, so it's time to start up again... this time making sure I take it slow. Smiley

Another note, since I switched to wearing VFFs almost full time (I don't wear them to work, except on casual Friday), I've noticed a slew of issues have gone away, most notable being the pain and stiffness in my right knee. I usually favor my right leg because it constantly bothers me, but since I've switched, the stiffness has subsided. It's not TOTALLY gone, but it's much much much less profound, to the point where I no longer favor my leg, and it doesn't bother me, even after a long day of standing up. Smiley

My collection. Smiley
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »

Thanks for sharing your story and your collection, although I will say it looks like it is in it's early stages.   Grin  I bought KSOs in 2009 and took about a 1 year break from wearing them due to constant discomfort.  In 2010 I made the conscious decision to push through the pain to allow my toes to realign themselves and I have never looked back.  I now have 13 pair of VFF, 2 pair of STEM and 1 Vivo Barefoot Hydrophobic for winter.  My feet are pain free.  I have not bought a non-minimalist shoe since.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:18:51 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »

Welcome aboard Joel and pleased that your pain is diminishing.

It also seems to be a common theme that once one pair of VFFs are bought, they quickly turn into 3 or 4 pairs...

Then there are the extremists......  Wink
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »

Then there are the extremists......  Wink

Hey, I resemble that remark!   Roll Eyes

I really enjoy the Classics, so of my 13 pair, 10 are that model.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:15:52 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »

munisano

munisano is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »

... I had been running in a pair of Brooks Trance 9s on the recommendation of a running store in my area, and they were nothing but trouble...

Whoa! I can certainly see why! The Brooks Trance 9 is an extremely built up an supportive shoe; hardly a "normal" shoe by any stretch of the imagination.  I can't believe anybody would have fit you into *this* shoe. Wow.  I'm thinking you would have been seen the same overall improvement by just going to a way more neutral, low heel-to-toe drop shoe.  Going from a super-supportive shoe to basically nothing is quite the transition; be very careful. Just know that not all shoes are like the one you unfortunately were fitted with.  There is a whole spectrum of shoes in between that one and VFFs; probably a high number of which would have given you better results from the start!

Rob Y

munisano
Joel S

Joel S is a new face.

Toe wigglin'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

Whoa! I can certainly see why! The Brooks Trance 9 is an extremely built up an supportive shoe; hardly a "normal" shoe by any stretch of the imagination.  I can't believe anybody would have fit you into *this* shoe. Wow.  I'm thinking you would have been seen the same overall improvement by just going to a way more neutral, low heel-to-toe drop shoe.  Going from a super-supportive shoe to basically nothing is quite the transition; be very careful. Just know that not all shoes are like the one you unfortunately were fitted with.  There is a whole spectrum of shoes in between that one and VFFs; probably a high number of which would have given you better results from the start!

Rob Y

Yea, it's the classic case of "you're an over pronator, so you need a highly supportive shoe" type deal. In retrospect, it was a HUGE mistake... and does anyone else find it funny that they typically do gait analysis barefoot, and then recommend some crazy supportive shoe? The last time I wore the Brooks was for standing in endless lines at Disney Land... They've been sitting in my car ever since.

Monkeyshoes:

Yup, I have narrowish feet, so with the Bikilas the strap would go so far it would loop around under my foot. I also had to pull it so tight that it caused a pressure point on my instep that got irritating after a while. The LS version is much much more comfortable. Feels like a sock with a protective sole.

The other two are my casual shoes. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:34:55 PM by Joel S » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: