BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 21, 2014, 03:02:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First pair; first run not so good  (Read 978 times)
benjam2112

benjam2112 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »

Hello for Indianapolis!  I've been running for quite a while; trying to figure it all out.  I ran 2 half marathons earlier this year.  Then I picked up ChiRunning and started utilizing that.  I love it.  I saw the 5 Fingers a while back but decided not to go with them at the time.  After reading Born to Run, barefoot running made perfect sense and I finally went out and bought KSOs last night.  I slipped them on and ran around the block a few times (maybe 1 mile all together) with no problems; felt great!  So I was excited to go for a lengthier run this morning (I'm training for my first full marathon in November). 

I set out for about 4.5 miles.  I felt fantastic the first 2 miles, then my feet started to get sore.  I guess it was from all the pounding and I wasn't used to it (obviously).  I could barely walk back home.  Both feet, on the medial side, proximal to my big toes are sore and kinda raw (I'm in nursing school, it's easier to describe when you use the medical terms...although big toe? ha!).  And my right heel is sore also.  I bought some of the socks too but haven't tried them yet.  Does anyone think using the socks will help much? 

I haven't looked around the board too much yet, but I will after posting.  Just wanted to say hi and give my progress so far.   Grin  Thanks!
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »

AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »

First, welcome to birthday shoes! I'm sure you'll lots of support here.

Second, you'll hear it from me now, but others will say the same... Go slowly! You need time to adjust to running with VFFs, and you're going to have to accept that your weekly distance is going to drop somewhat until you've adjusted. Go slowly, be gentle with yourself, and, above all, be patient. If you are, it'll all pay off and you'll enjoy yourself immensely.

Alan (also a KSO runner)

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »

Welcome to the forums -- I'd echo Alan's comments: take it slow.  Not only are you going through a process of rehabilitating atrophied foot/ankle/calf muscles, you're also retraining the joints of your body.  This goes for runners or walkers (or whatever activity you are doing, really).

Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »

I'll third that. I guess Vibram should add "Start slow if you want to go fast." Wink
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »

Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »

What Alan Said

Jason vff sprint runner

Pete Rasmussen

Pete Rasmussen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »

You     need     to     take    it     slower.

All of us have gone through this.  You're headed for trouble doing too much too fast.
Enjoy going slower and shorter at first.  Enjoy being minimalist and feeling each crack as you run over it.
Run barefoot just a bit to get a better handle on the minimalist form.
Keep a close eye on this forum for some really good advice.

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the group!

- Pete
allawayr

allawayr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:32:26 PM »

Welcome! And everyone else above is right. 4.5 miles for a first run is long! Shocked

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/yawalla
Better Living Through Nutrition: http://livingthroughnutrition.wordpress.com/
benjam2112

benjam2112 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

Well thanks for all the support.  I guess I'll have to continue training for the marathon by running my long runs in my Sauconys.  I'll just use the 5 Fingers on my short runs. 
iamcam

iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.

Jesus wore huaraches.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 12:05:56 AM »

yeah it will pay off. and if you switch to five fingers exclusively for walking and everything... your feet will condition in no time. Sometimes ya have a little pain for pleasure.

I am Cam

go barefoot... everything else is just holding you back.

I miss 100% of the shots I don't take.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: