BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 18, 2014, 09:41:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First pair of VFFs - love my Sprints  (Read 489 times)
Big Joel

Big Joel is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »

So I just got into the whole minimalist thing and have been using Merrell True Gloves for a couple months.  I figured after reading this website so much I'd check out the whole VFF thing.  Im so glad I did!  I got a pair of Sprints on sale from City Sports (40 bucks!!) and wont turn back!  These things are amazing!  I cant wait to get my first real good workout in them under my belt.  I did a lot of walking this weekend but havent gone for a real run yet.  I have been strengthening my feet and legs since getting the Merrell shoes.  Anyone have any suggestions, tips, etc, on the best way to transition to VFF from another minimalist shoe without totally jacking myself up? 

Thanks!

Joel

VFF Sprint, VFF Treksport, VFF Bikila, Merrell True Glove, Vivobarefoot Ra, Invisible Shoes, the ones permanently on the ends of my legs that my Mama and Papa made
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »

dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »

Sprints are a very god choice for a first pair of VFF  Cool  enjoy!
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »

There are tons of treads about transitioning properly, do a little search with the keyword "transition", but to make a long story short go SLOW. Under a mile to start, increases of about 10% each time on non consecutive days. Forefoot strike with the heel touching almost immediately after, short fast strides, landing under your hips, relaxing the antierior tibialis (leg anterior muscle), lifting the lower leg without pushing off with the toes, standing straight (no bending at the hip) and head up, looking toward the horizon.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »

I'd keep on the walking regiment a bit longer and then as Horserider indicated, start very slowly when dabbling in running.  This site is full of posts by people who failed to transition correctly.  Another thing to type in the search field is TMTS or too much too soon.  People will post their story and then others will add to it and give advice, which almost always equates to slow down and also take ample rest days in between.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »

acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »

Merrell soles are plenty thick compared to VFFs... be careful about TMTS (too much too soon). Merrells with the Trail sole also have a forefoot shock plate which means force is more evenly distributed across the forefoot. I'd concentrate on your form. You don't want to land on only one side of the forefoot.

* I'd go completely barefoot when you can (i.e. indoors in your house, on the beach, etc.).

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
Big Joel

Big Joel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »

Thanks everyone for responding!  I really appreciate the encouragement and support.  I took my first actual jog in my VFF sprints and noticed a big difference between those and the Merrells.  I feel like my calves and feet have gained a lot of strength from the merrells, so no real issues as far as that, but the blisters and rubbing spots on the tips of my big toes and the balls of my feet are a bit tender.  Anyone else experience that sort of rubbing?  If it is normal and I need to toughen up my feet a bit, thats cool.  Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks!

VFF Sprint, VFF Treksport, VFF Bikila, Merrell True Glove, Vivobarefoot Ra, Invisible Shoes, the ones permanently on the ends of my legs that my Mama and Papa made
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »

Make sure your Sprints are properly sized.  If so, then yes your feet will toughen up some with use of the VFFs.  If it is too bothersome or rubs you raw, use body glide for a while to minimize the rubbing.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: