BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 16, 2014, 11:51:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Adelaide, South Australia  (Read 1348 times)
RunningTim

RunningTim is a new face.

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:37:50 AM »

Hi all. Been looking at these forums for a while so I figured I should register. I've just taken up barefoot running to try and combat my repeated knee injuries. Finished reading Born To Run and decided to do a quick experiment. I filmed myself running on a treadmill first in my running shoes, then then barefoot. I was quite surprised to find that in my shoes, I was heal striking really badly (never realised!) but when I was running barefoot, I was striking mid-foot. In true Mythbusters fashion, I then took it full scale. The next day I went for a few laps of the local football oval barefoot. Not only was I striking much better, but I could feel my form was improved and no knee pain! So now once I get my next paycheck, a pair of VFF is definitely on the cards. Tried a pair on the other day but it was a struggle to get my toes in the right fingers. Sad But I figure nothing in life that's easy is worth doing  Grin
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:37:50 AM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 04:45:44 AM »

Welcome to BirthdayShoes!  Running barefoot is definitely the best way to learn good form.  Just remember to take it easy and keep your distance increases really low for the next few months so as to avoid any too-much-too-soon injuries.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
RunningTim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:49:13 AM »

Thanks mate. Definitely gonna listen to my body on this one. I think the fact that I already go barefoot around the house most of the time means that I'm not starting from scratch (possibly?  Grin)  . I've done 5 laps of the football field twice now (about 2km or so) without any pains at all. But definitely going to keep the distance increases slow and steady Smiley
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »

Just make sure to listen to your body.  Any hint of pain or tightness and you'll want to stop.  Many of us here on the forums did too much too soon and got top of the foot pain or a metatarsal stress fracture.  It comes up on you suddenly and without warning.  My top of the foot pain sidelined me for two weeks and when I started running again I had to start as if I'd never run before...

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »

RunningTim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »

Ouch! Yep definitely a case of listening to the head and not the heart on this one. Went for another barefoot run this morning. Was feeling really good and wanted to do more, but my head told me to stop and call it a day. Have to curb my enthusiasm  Grin
Shiraz-mataz

Shiraz-mataz is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:12:48 AM »

Welcome aboard, Tim!  And a nod to your fine hometown, too!  I visited Adelaide back in 2001 and had a great time there.  Arrived on the Ghan after traveling overnight from Alice Springs.  Loved, loved, LOVED Australia and desperately need a reason/way to get back there!
RunningTim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »

A reason to come back?: we have awesome beer!  Grin
Shiraz-mataz

Shiraz-mataz is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:13:44 AM »

A reason to come back?: we have awesome beer!  Grin

What I'd give for a VB right now!
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »

I suggest continuing to go barefoot as much as possible, unless weather or other things necessitate VFF's.  If you start going in VFF's now you risk doing too much too soon as your feet are insulated from the ground surface somewhat.

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
RunningTim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »

I suggest continuing to go barefoot as much as possible, unless weather or other things necessitate VFF's.  If you start going in VFF's now you risk doing too much too soon as your feet are insulated from the ground surface somewhat.

Thanks Patrick. I'm going to continue my barefoot runs for the time being. Going well so far!

What I'd give for a VB right now!

VB??? Mate I said we had awesome beer. VB is...VB is...well lets keep this civil and just say that it's not good.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: